• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper EDITORIAL: Common sense and motorcycle licensing

This was posted on the Washington Times website
    http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20020801-647230.htm

EDITORIAL • August 1, 2002

Common sense and motorcycle licensing

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently published some interesting data regarding an alarming uptick in motorcycle accidents and fatalities. According to NHTSA, motorcycle registrations have increased substantially during the past few years, from 3.8 million to 4.2 million between 1997 and 1999, which is also exactly the same time period during which motorcycle accident fatality rates rose significantly as well — up to 23.4 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled (VMT) in 1999 from 21.0 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled (VMT) in 1997. Many of these fatalities involved older riders, those aged 40 and above, many of whom did not previously hold motorcycle licenses. Today, the average age of a motorcycle rider is 38.5 years, whereas it was 26.9 in 1980.

It's almost certain that the increase in crashes noted by NHTSA these past several years is the result of rider inexperience — putting a relative novice on a huge bike that was probably chosen because it looked cool and the middle-aged guy buying it couldn't see himself putt-putting around on a lighter "starter bike." Most guys who don't get into cycling in their teenage or college years aren't likely to start out on the kinds of bikes that someone 16-22 years old would. That's not because of the inherent sensibility of the under-25 crowd. It's just simple economics: Under-25s don't have the money to buy a big bike, so they get what they can afford, which is almost always something smaller, lighter and less powerful than they'd get if they had the extra money. But a 35-year-old who is looking to buy his first bike is probably indulging himself with a "toy" and has disposable income to burn. He can afford the $8,000-$15,000 or more to buy a big cruiser, so he does.

The results are predictable. It would probably be a good thing if either motorcycling license requirements were a bit tougher (they're laughable in most states), or if people simply exercised better judgment and kept within their limits. There's no shame in acquiring valuable motorcycling skills on a "starter bike" before moving up. Your life may depend upon your prudence.

copyright © 2002 News World Communications, Inc.

Older Rider

"AMA exposes
    Insurance Institute errors"

Interesting story about this on the AMA site:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/index.a...002/G02023.asp

From the Story:
    "For the IIHS to issue its opinions in the guise of a ‘news release’ is embarrassing," said Moreland. "Not only is this release full of old news and misused statistics, it once again exposes that the IIHS is willing to say virtually anything to support its preconceived conclusions.
    Ed - "Where there is a Road... There is a Ride" -MoBro 79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Kind of ties right back into the countersteering thread don't it?

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=560
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I agree Danny.
        Limited know-how coupled with a lack of proper riding gear, mainly a helmet. Is contributing to this problem.

Mind you, I'm no fascist, and I don't believe the government should legislate helmet laws. Your free to be foolish if you like. But for goodness sake, people need to quit riding just to pose around town, and ride because its a great sport that requires certain common sense rules to safely participate in.

I have been riding since I was 8 yrs old, and I have wrecked a bike all sorts of ways, (thank the Lord, not on a hiway) and more that a few helmets of mine thru the years have had big deep gashes in them. Something my head, as hard as it is, wouldn't have liked very much.

Remember the old saying;
        "There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old, bold bikers."
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

A guy who worked at a Honda dealer told this story on another list. Guy comes in, 50 something years old hasn't ridden since 1960 something when he had a very powerful 350cc bike and was a hot shoe on that bad boy. Kids are out of college and he wants a new bike, not a crappy starter bike after all he rode a 350, in 1960 something and still has his licence....how different can it be? Buys a 1500 Valk, gets on, twists the throttle and impales himself on a prop on a nearby boat. (Honda dealer also sold boats) Died on route to hospital...

Not sure if it is an urban legend but it still makes you think.

I have spent my whole life preparing for tomorrows ride, everthing I know may be needed to save my life. I have been riding since I was 10....I hope to still be doing it at 100. I hope the rest of you are too.

Read all you can, practice, take an MSF course, practice, ride like you are invisible, practice, DON'T DRINK and ride, oh yeah and practice a little.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
          X