It Lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Lives!

I've been working on it (XJ) since Setember, when I bought it. The only part that didn't get striped down was the rearend. As of right now, the only thing I thought I was lacking was putting on the fairing and lowers, painting the exhaust and ordering the seat cover.

I just put gas in it and found out I've got a carb flooding so I shut off the petcocks and on a whim, closed the choke and hit the starter. It cranked over about 2 times and then sat and purred like a kitten! Ran it for about 20 seconds then shut it down cause I figured it would run out of gas in the float bowls any second.

I haven't had one of these run for me since '95.

Louis
    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
    '82 XJ1100J
    LED Dir and running lights
    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Great to here.keep up the good work. makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing you did it. let us know if we can help.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Flooding carb

I spent over 2 hours trying to fix that flooding carb. It would hang up and flood about 1 out of 3 tries on the bench. Went so far as to buy another needle and still flooding!

I was beginning to get desperate. This should have been a 2-minuet fix (once the carbs were pulled, after all, I'm a certified airframe and powerplant tech and this is something I should be able to handle blindfold). I had the carbs sitting on the bench upside down. The bowl off the offending carb. Saying to myself, a 750 triple ain’t so bad; after all I had a ’79 triple back then and liked it. When for some strange reason, I leaned forward looking straight down, and noticed the floats looked as if the side of them away from the needle would hit the inside of the bowl! Sure enough, that was the problem. At some time in the past someone had bent the floats, and they were gently rubbing the bowl.

I got the carbs back on last night and today, after changing the oil, started her using the choke and 30 seconds later turned the choke off and she ran sweet. Ran her down the road about a quarter of a mile and back and what a rush! ’96 is the last time I rode one of these and boy did I miss it!

Now, all I got to do is wait for my paint for the exhaust to get here and get the seat cover ordered and probably spend the next two weeks fixing everything that I missed.

Louis
      '82 XJ1100J
      Modulated H/L
      PIAA Driving lights
      YICS Eliminated
      750 FD

Comment

sometimes what should be obivius, can cause us the most grief. once again you pulled through like a trooper. ooh the satisfaction of a job well done kudos to you.
        when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
        80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Congratulations!!!

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
          Second bike is an FJR1300.
          Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Carbs

Great job finding the float bent. That triple-clean thing is really right-on, too. Sounds like you have two down, one to go. It will probably take the third, might just go ahead and do it now!

Comment

I SWEAR, IF I READ THAT PHRASE 'TRIPLE CLEAN' ONE MORE TIME.....OH, I WROTE IT!

AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Comment

Hey Randy,

Well, I picked up that Basket Case 79SF Saturday, and I ask myself..... WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!?!?

I'm hoping to be like the MythBusters and only clean them thoroughly ONCE, and get it right for the instructional VIDEO DVD I'll be recording my progress and techniques for!!

Although I just noticed, it's just a coincidence, but my initials could also be for "T"riple "C"lean!?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

triple clean

Actually, I triple cleaned them before I put them together for the first time.

First:
                  Spray carb cleaner and compressed air.

Second:
                  Yamaha carb cleaner and gas heated followed by compressed air.

Third:
                  Gal. can of carb cleaner from NAPA and soak a couple hrs. each, followed by spray carb cleaner and compressed air.

I thought I'd get a head start on this triple clean thing! Just get it out of the way and save myself having to pull them two more times. Now if I just hadn't had that float stick....

Louis
                  '82 XJ1100J
                  Modulated H/L
                  PIAA Driving lights
                  YICS Eliminated
                  750 FD

Comment

Hey Louis,

Did you soak the entire carb in the Gallon Carb Cleaner, or just the metal parts?? Was wondering with regards to the rubber butterfly seals, and their tendency to swell/warp/dissolve in carb cleaner......and then subsequently leak!?
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

All the rubber parts were removed including the shaft seals.

Louis
                      '82 XJ1100J
                      Modulated H/L
                      PIAA Driving lights
                      YICS Eliminated
                      750 FD

Comment

Working...
                      X