Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Well,
    This morning I began my riding season in earnest...
    Left Fallon (my house) and all was well. Rode through fernley still no problems the weather was cool and at 5 a.m. you can't expect more. Got onto HWY 80 and started toolin on into Reno...
    then it happened, right around Derby Dam there is a little elevated pass it only takes 10 minutes to get through, all traffic was stopped and then the temperature dropped to the basement. Picture a 6'5" 220 pound man curled up around his headers to stay warm. It had aparently started to snow around 3 A.M. and really made the roads fuuuuuuun! No snow to speak of but it made the cage drivers really weird! Well here I am at work and in one peice. Maybe I should wait a little longer before I begin my commute regularly or maybe I should just stop whining...
    Anyway Happy Riding!
    Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

cold

So know you have a inny instead of an outy.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Way to go! For the cold riding I bought an electic vest. Cost with controller was almost 300 bucks, BUT WORTH IT. Even when its not too cold it feels SOO good. I cant believe I rode for so many miles without it. Now I just use my rain gear to keep the wind off my legs and the liner to keep me nice and toasty. I took a ride a few weeks ago and got to snow areas and had no problems. But I hear Nevada warms up in the summer , so it wont be long till your down to shorts and a t-shirt .

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
      Second bike is an FJR1300.
      Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

I know how the weather can be in your area. I used to live down the road from you in Silver Springs. Still have kin in Reno and CarsonCity. I've seen it snow the end of June in the Reno area. You'de never think that it would snow in the summer but your next to the Sierra's ( especially Doners ) and wierd stuff happens.
        Glad your still in one piece.
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Brrrrrrrr!!! part 2

Well after letting my wonderful machine sit for 12 hours while I was at work here in lovely downtown Reno, I went out and she started right up! 20w 50 and 30 degree weather that part was wonderful! I left the VA amid snow showers and as soon as I got out of the head wind picked up as did the horizontal rain (thank God for full face helmets and kevlar lined gloves) but it really was a good trip home until I got to Hazen. Hazen is barely a town, more of a railway crossing than anything so nothing is open. Oh and by the way it had stopped raining up til this point. I crossed the tracks and laid on the throttle and 3 things happened simultaneously, the red light on the dash, the 3 trailered hay truck passing me in the opposite direction and a horrific popping and then steady rumbling sound...
          Once I cleaned out my chaps I was able to determine that I had lost a header bolt and the red light on the dash was only letting me know I needed to get fuel the truck had created the icing on the cake I felt as if I had gotten hit with several sacks of potatoes, and then the rain began again, bigger drops this time.
          Made it home kinda taking it slow it was cold enough I think to eliminate any damage to the head or the header.
          All in all a good introductory ride on my NEW TO ME xs.
          I drove the car today
          Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Comment

header

gotta love that straight pipe. i lost a nut of my xj shortly after putting a new mac 4 into 1 on it. i guess the fear of snapping a stud kept me from tightening them enough. i was riding with a friend in the country. he got the jump of a traffic light when i goobled up first. i hammered the snot outta it and had him reeled in by 3rd gear. hit 4th at 110 and went for the pass. to bad we ran outta road. around next curve my xj sounded like a 350 chevy. a few miles later i remember that pliniking sound as the nuts hit the ground.

Comment

Working...
            X