replacing brake pads and fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing brake pads and fluid

well,, smear my ears with jelly and tie me to an anthill!!!! I would not have believed how easy that was,, I have a 83 xj1100,, Ken has seen it,,,and it had the original pads and brake fluid in it. with a little research and a lot of help from Ken talbot, I made the decision today to fix my brakes! wow,, I never would have guessed how easy it was to remove the pads, and replace the fluid, the pads took me all of about 25 minutes to do front and back,, and the fluid drained very easily with little help from me. after putting it all back together and refilling the reservoirs, I had to get help for the left side front to bleed off the air, but since I have a game addicted roomie,, he is always home,LOL,,, I was concerned about a little sticking after I got the handle and the pedal nice and tight,, Could not move the bike backwards. after a few minutes of driving and testing,, they seated a ;little better and voila. so I would like to thank ken talbot for the invaluable advice about old brake fluid, and thank xs11 for all the hints about mechanical stuff, hey,, anyone want there brakes done????

There's no greater satisfaction that doing it yourself.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Glad that worked out for you, Bill! I take it the indicator light is not on any more?
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Just to let you know Guys,, the indicator light went out after i changed out the rear pads, I didn't know they were angled in such a way,, and I only ever did a visual check,, only ever seeing the top of the pad,, looking like it had lotsa wear left on it,, I think that was the problem with the light Ken, they were worn down to almost touching the rotor. But I changed out the fluid just to be sure as well,I am glad that did that, because i sure wouldn't want oget stuck on the road somewhere this summer, i plan on putting a lot more kilometres on the bike this year than last,, geeez,, i may have put 500 on last summer if that. My bike only has 31.000 kms on it,, some say it isn't even broken in yet! again guys, thanks very much for all the help.

Comment

Working...
        X