paint question (auto related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint question (auto related)

My red '03 s10 pickup now has white paint spots all over it. I was painting some cabinets with white oilbased paint and damned if I didnt get overspray all over my truck!!! It's all dry now but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get the oil paint off my truck without ruining the original paint.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

color sand and buff (2000 grit wet or dry paper used wet using a sanding block) then buff your shine back. If that doesn't work, repaint white with oil based paint

Louis

my motor: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31...32754_0001.jpg
    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
    '82 XJ1100J
    LED Dir and running lights
    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

rubbing compound with a buffer.

go to a good auto paint and supply store,not auto zone or them,and ask the counter dude there.You start color sanding on theese newer vehicals you could be asking for touble,in keeping costs down they like to get chinsee with the clear coat.And if your not a body person i would not recomend practicing on your new truck!stick with the heavy duty rubbing compound and an electric buffer,YOU still must use caution and stay away from edges and corners,those can be rubbed by hand with a diaper or other soft cloth.Just my two cents. you have to think also you did not sand your truck so the paint you got on it will not be stuck on very hard.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

If there was even a little bit of wax on it before I'd try won of the cleaning waxes Pick one I think they are all pretty much the same. But if you know what was on there before I'd try that brand. Just a little wax should keep the over-spray from sticking very hard.
        Russ Neal
        Milton, NH
        04 GL1800 ABS
        04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
        99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
        80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
        83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
        80 XS1100G(Sold)
        81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

You might want to check out Autopia.org and do a search on the forum, and if you don't find anything to solve your problem, post a question.

Some things you might want to try are washing the vehicle ASAP and see how much comes off, trying a typical automotive cleaner-wax that you might already have, paint cleaner/polish, or a chemical to disolve the paint. Another approach would be to use detailing/overspray clay which, to the best of my knowledge, is elastic plasticy stuff which resembles modeling clay, but with abrasive particles mixed in. The abrasive particles in the clay shear off the contaminants that are above the surface. Clay comes in different levels of agressiveness; you might need the more agressive stuff. Many manufacturers sell clay, an auto paint and supply store should be able to get you some, and you might even be able to find it at walmart or auto parts stores.

If you want to check out clay, you can go to Meguiars.com and type "clay" into the search box on the left...you'll see the Quik Clay Detailing System (which I think contains the Mild clay), and larger quantities of Mild and Agressive clays.
          '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
          '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

clay

clay can also be used,but then your back to a buffer and compounds as clay actually scuffs the surface. One of it's uses is the very final last step before touching up a spot on your vehical with paint.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

That makes sense then. I have a similar question... I have some paint splatters on my saddle bags which are a little bigger than overspray dots of paint...probably splatter from running over wet roadpaint. What would be my best bet for removing these spots? I tried mild clay on them, and they didn't budge, and after I polished one area with a rotary polisher and foam finishing pad and light polish, the spots remained. I'm thinking my next step might be to wetsand the spots down with the tip of my finger and polish again, but I'd like some advice. Thanks.
              '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
              '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Working...
              X