Fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork springs

Well, I did it. I bought some NOS fork springs for a 78 E on ebay, and when I went to install them into my 80SG, I discovered they were four inches too short. They are NOS alright, but I can't use them at all. Anybody need a set for their 79-80 Standard? I have checked at the Yamaha online parts catalog, and that is the correct application. $20 plus shipping.

John,

You can use the springs and make up the difference with a short length of PVC pipe. There is a discussion about this on the Progressive Suspension web site. (IIRC).

Comment

They make one length spring for XS's and recommend a spacer for the special. Below is the listing for the Special from their site. Keep in mind, the RATE of the spring compression will reamain the same as if you had no spacer, so it will work.

Fork Spring
      Fork Spring : 11-1110

Spacers
      Spacer Length for Fork Springs : 3.50"

Comment

Well, after looking in the 80-81 supplement in the Clymer manual, it shows the length of the springs as : model G-H as having 20.31 inch springs, and the SG, LG, SH and LH as having 24.10 inches. I would think that the shorter springs would compress sooner than a spring that has four more inches of coils. I also compared the SG springs against those of an XJ, and the SG's were longer by an inch or so.

Comment

Working...
        X