centre stand or side stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centre stand or side stand

Currently I leave my XS1100 on the centre stand. Will I do any harm to the bike by using the side stand? I heard that it was not good for the shocks.

The maximum time it would be on the side stand is approx 2 weeks between rides.

Also, is there a way to somehow extend the length of the sidestand? Currently the bike seems to be leaning over just a little too far.

Many thanks for your advice - greetings from Aus.

Side stand

mine does not have a centre stand because of the slip on 4/1 , does not seem to affect the shocks at all.

Comment

same here.
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

I would think that leaving the bike on the center stand would be better, because that would allow the springs in the forks and on the shocks to unload a little, and not be compressed. Granted, the compession on them may not be that much with out a rider, but anything will help in my opinion.

Comment

Dunno bout shocks and springs. Helps the tires tho... Or so they say. I use the centerstand when I want the bike more or less level, or to take less space.

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

on my 79, I use the center stand most of the time, and the side stand for short term ( an hour or two ) parking. I think the center would be my choice for a two week stint. The carbs would stay somewhat level, and it should lessen the chance of finding a gas (petrol) puddle under the bike.
            My $0.02
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
            X