Would appreciate some advice regarding
    fuel for my 1980 XS1100E. I live in
    Australia and the supply of leaded fuel is
    drying up. Can my bike run OK on high
    octane unleaded fuel, or do I need to
    include an additive to protect the
    top end?

Thanks

Stuey, I have not heard of anyone adding any lead additives.
    I run the high octane unleaded, (91 octane), and will occationally add some Seafoam, just to keep everything clean.
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Hey Stuey,

Check this miscellaneous tip:
      Leaded vs. Unleaded

Also, you may not need the highest octane, either. I run it cause I put a big bore kit which boosted my compression ratio to about 10.25:1 vs. stock 9.0:1. Just monitor your engine, if you get some knocking using the lower octane, then you'll know you need to go up to the next level until you don't experience anymore knocking.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I worried the same thing mate when I couldnt buy leaded, but Ive had no problems for 15,000 miles. Somewhere I read that the bikes didnt need the lead for valve lubericant.
        I say dont worry about it!

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
        Second bike is an FJR1300.
        Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

I use 87 or 89 octane, depending on the station, and have about 40,000 on the Special, no problems at all.
          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

i run 100 octane near home and 118 octane when i go racing. NOTHING ON EARTH beats the smell at the stop and go lightsthat is no lead by the way.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

100-118 Octane

Hey Big Block, what are you using Av gas? Expensive, a pain in the ass to bother chasing out to the airport to get and you know what? Unless you have pumped your compression AWAY up or kicked your timing about 15 degrees ahead it does nothing for you. In fact it may be costing you HP to use. There is not as many thermal BTU's in a CC of AV gas as there is in 87-89 octane. It is meant to burn at 20,000-30,000 Feet. It is to prevent detonation in the rare air at altitude. I agree it smells trick when it burns but does not produce any more power than reg or premium gas.
              Lots of compression yes to prevent detonation but at 9 to 1 or even 10-1 there is no advantage.
              Ken/Sooke

Comment

Thanks Ken

ya But NOTHING on earth smells as good at a stop and go light!And it does give me 1mph faster in the quartyer mile. No a gas station near my home has it at the pump for the 100 nolead, and the 118 comes from the local drag strip. I get a choice there (strip) 110 ,112,115,118 octanes.For every day driving i use the plain jane87 octane. Which now will be more often,as our gas prices finnaly went up to 2.12 us gal.Was paying 3.75 for the pump 100. Racing fuel was at a cool 4.50 gal.Haven't seen them since the increase.And compression,well i have never check it,but i guess around 1:1 ...lol finally got 50,000 miles on the ole gal.
                Last edited by chevy45412001; 03-24-2005, 11:39 AM.
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Drag Times

A 1 MPH change at the end of the quarter is so small that it may not even be the differance in fuel. The launch, shift points, track adhesion conditions, atmospheric conditions day to day can make a lot bigger differance.
                  If you want a trick smell put a cup of Castrol-R into your fuel tank. It will smell even racier plus be a good top end lub.
                  If you want to trick out your fuel while drag racing and using gasoline then get some Nitro Propane. It releases oxygen molecules under compression pressures just like nitro methame does while using alchol. Just keep exposed skin away from the fumes whether exhaust fumes or simple evaporation vapors. If not you will appear to have a dandy sun burn. (don't ask how I know) Don't know how difficult it is to get nitro propane now. Back in the 50's when I was drag racing my Ariel Square four I could order by the gallon through a local drug store. The "Big Brother" rules on the purchase all that s--t has changed a bunch over the years. It works great. You have to richen up the carb a bunch though as with the extra oxygen present it can burn more fuel. The extra fuel that actually burns makes more heat=more HP.
                  Ken/Sooke

Comment

Fool ratings

I use BP Ultimate in my 81 RH. Definately goes better on that at 98 octane than on 91 unleaded or 95 premium. Will run ok on the others, starts, idles and runs better on 98. Seeems to me the extra 4 cents per litre is worth it. (16 cents per US gallon)

Comment

feul

hey Stuey
                      I run on premium unleaded for the XS1100 and my xs650. have tried the ordinary stuff but just not as good. Must be something like weet bix in there to kick it on. LOL

Comment

AV Fuel...

Had an old chevy blazer once ... usually ran cheap gas in it, but once ever month or so, I'd ride down to the airport and put 5 gals of 120 octane air plane fuel in it to really clean out the engine. Put over 350,000 miles on it before it spun a piston bering.
                        ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
                        '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

i always run the highest that the gas station i stop at has but i normly run sunco 94 most of the time and when i race i mix some 114 in with it
                          79 yamaha xs1100f standard
                          best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Re: AV Fuel...

Originally posted by Street_Rat78
                            Had an old chevy blazer once ... usually ran cheap gas in it, but once ever month or so, I'd ride down to the airport and put 5 gals of 120 octane air plane fuel in it to really clean out the engine. Put over 350,000 miles on it before it spun a piston bering.
                            Come to think of it, it may have been 125 octane ... it's been a while, hard to remember the exact number.

What I do remember however is that it cost me $4.99 a gal ... and this was back when regular unleaded was going for $0.99 a gal.
                            ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
                            '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

Hey all.....if ya wantin to raise the octane level.........save yourself the bucks and hassle........add few ounces of non synthetic two stroke oil mix to your full tank........raises octane level bout 4 points...(don't bother askin how I know this) trust me, does the same thing, and makes good upper cyl. lube!
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X