How to fix Plexiglass or Now I done it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix Plexiglass or Now I done it

I took off my plexiglass windsheild after my ride. I dropped something heavy and I broke a small piece off of it near the bottom. Unfortanatly, this part is needed to stabalize near the bottom where it connects to the forks.

Is there a way to repair it or do I try to cut it down and try to modify it to fit the bike another way? Or do I just cry about it as the trashman hauls it away.

It was an in perfect shape slipstreamer enterprise model and I really liked it.

Please help if you can.

Thank you
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Cut it down or replace it. (I hate it when that happens).
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I just broke mine. Will this work? Acetone? MEK?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Check with your local plastic shop. Mine sells a chemical (banned in California) called Methylene Chloride which is a solvent cement. I've used it to build plexiglass containers. You should be able to buy a miniature applicator with a needle tip that will use capillary action to suck itself into cracks etc, then set up by actually bonding the plastic permanently, i.e. NO seam, it all becomes one piece of plastic. (According to the shop guys anyway) Maybe do a youtube or google search on this?
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

http://www.wikihow.com/Glue-Plexiglas
          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Methylene Chloride is paint stripper. I might give it a try.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

It's in Berrymans carb cleaner too. wicked nasty stuff. That's why it works so good.

Comment

I would stick with the IPS stuff. I use Weld-On by IPS for acrylic work. The bond after that is stronger than the material you fuse together.
                Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by thumperjsa View Post
                  I took off my plexiglass windsheild after my ride. I dropped something heavy and I broke a small piece off of it near the bottom. - - -
                  Hi Thumper,
                  like they said, the right solvent cement will fix the broken piece back on OK.
                  But not "as good as new", there will be a visible seam that won't fully polish out.
                  Coulda been worse, coulda been your foot under the heavy thing instead of the windshield.
                  It took months for my big toe nail to grow back after I dropped a table on it.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred,

I went for a search when I busted my window and revived the 8 year old thread. Why start a new one, right?
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

I've seen Thumper's windshield recently, it is still broken.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'm hip!!!

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                        Check with your local plastic shop. Mine sells a chemical (banned in California)
                        You know that California Prop 65 law that states people need to be warned if they can possibly come in contact with a carcinogen at a specific place of business? I just about fell over when I saw one of these warning signs at a Home Depot next to the panel saw warning that "wood dust could do harm to your reproductive system" Hell, they should just put a sign at each entrance to the state warning that "life in California could be hazardous to your health" and leave it at that.I know living here has been a strain on my mental heath. I don't know how much longer I can put up with this.
                        "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by XJkid View Post
                          You know that California Prop 65 law that states people need to be warned if they can possibly come in contact with a carcinogen at a specific place of business? I just about fell over when I saw one of these warning signs at a Home Depot next to the panel saw warning that "wood dust could do harm to your reproductive system" Hell, they should just put a sign at each entrance to the state warning that "life in California could be hazardous to your health" and leave it at that.I know living here has been a strain on my mental heath. I don't know how much longer I can put up with this.
                          I have a theory that everything created is completely safe. However, by some unexplained phenomenon, upon crossing the California state border, it all undergoes a molecular change and everything known to man becomes deadly.
                          Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                          Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                          Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                          Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                          Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                          K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                          81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                          X