luggage rack blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luggage rack blues

hmmm, I am learning, but slowly... got a luggage rack on ebay supposedly from an XS1100, but when I go to put it on the back turn signals are about 1/2 inch too high to let it fit... very heavy unit... any advice? I have a Special, maybe this fits a regular XS1100 better? the good news: I have been riding the machine every day, lots of fun... finally took it on the freeway today, 70 mph is absolutely no sweat! Today I pick up my leather jacket with the newly sewn on big and little parches (woo hoo!) and the King seat I had repaired (the stitching was unraveling...)...
    Dr. Tim Walters

Florida Atlantic University
    The Rats
    Full Flight Foundation, Inc.

"just put the trumpet down and slowly back away..."

"owned by a 79 XS1100 Special"

Glad to hear you are getting more riding done.

I also bought a luggage rack off of Ebay that don't fit. In my case the dimensions are to wide to fit.

As far as I can tell, the locations for the rear turn signals are in the same location on all xs1100 models. I might be wrong so others might chime in.

There are turn signal modifications. Some are more like a light bar that connects where the license plate frame. I saw some pictures of those on other XS1100s.

When I put on my hard bags, I could not fit the lights in the normal location either because of the hight of the bags. I moved the trun signals further back by drilling a hole in the tail light bracket and mounting them there. I think it looks cool there.
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

On the standard, there are some 'knock out' plugs in the tail light mount that are made to accept the turn signals. That is where they are mounted on the full dressed XS's. Just remove the tail light assembly from the fender, and look inside it. You'll see how it all works.

Comment

moving the signals sounds like a good answer, thanks John... how was Daytona? I rode on the interstate today for the first time in honor of Bike Week... next year I am going!
        Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

thanks! I have a Special, I think, but its probably the same...
          Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

I also purchased a luggage rack off Ebay for my 78 and had the same problem. Nice rack and back rest but now no tail lights. Been waiting for inspiration but meanwhile I ride without rear turn signals. Hope I can come up with some kind of bar that I can plug into the rear tail light holes like John suggested. Must be out there somewhere. There some small after market lights that would work but I would rather have the original lights if possible.
            Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
            81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

I did not see the knockouts and too late as I made my own. I guess I should wait for answers next time.
              Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

if you indicators come from the side of the frame at the very rear then the rack will not fit,they need to come from the side of the rear light support braket,the part number is 2h9-84751-40-93,

Comment

yes, I looked, it doesn't appear I have the model with knockouts, so I will have to come up with another idea...
                  Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Hey Doc. The Special doesn't have the same tail light assembly. Only the standard has it. I have a tail light assy from a 78E, and it has the knock outs in it.

Comment

hmmm, can one like yours be installed on my bike? if so, wanna sell it?
                      Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Jazzrat, I have been looking for a luggage rack and was watching the one you bought. I guess I'll end up fabricating one. A friend has welding equipment so it's time to as the old saying goes, "use your friends wisely".
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

I haven't given up on this one yet... if I do, it will be back on ebay! I may have to find a friend who can weld, too, to make a way for this one to work!
                          Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Working...
                          X