plug wires and coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plug wires and coils

I have a set of accel coils on my bike and I installed new plug wires on the bike. Now here is my problem how do you get the plug wires to stay on the coils? I have fiddled with the metal ends of the wires and they are still to loose to suit me. Would RTV work or should I try something else? If I can get this solved then I hope my other critters will fall in line and be good. Thanks
    Bill Harvell

Not sure why you think they won't stay on? IIRC the Accels have a spark plug like post and the wire just snaps on it, like a spark plug. If I didn't think it was tight I would just give it a gentle squeeze with a 'soft' jawed pliers.

Next, if you use silicone, at least use the sensor safe kind, other wise that connection will corrode as the silicone cures. I would use a drop of super glue on them or something similar if I was worried about it. (we are talking about sticking the boot to the coil post right?)
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
      Not sure why you think they won't stay on? IIRC the Accels have a spark plug like post and the wire just snaps on it, like a spark plug. If I didn't think it was tight I would just give it a gentle squeeze with a 'soft' jawed pliers.

Next, if you use silicone, at least use the sensor safe kind, other wise that connection will corrode as the silicone cures. I would use a drop of super glue on them or something similar if I was worried about it. (we are talking about sticking the boot to the coil post right?)
      I don`t have any problems with the boot staying on the post. Its the wire end that is giving me the problems. They will look like they are tight but are not. If you try to slide the boot any it pulls the plugwire off. The connection on one coil seems good (knock on wood) but the other one I`am just not happy with.(the plugwire has play). Looks like I`am going to have to make a mess in the kichen again and try to come up with some peace of mind.
      Bill Harvell

Comment

Hey Bill,

I looked at the accel coils, could see those metal posts that the wires are to attach to! I'm surprised the wires and metal clamps aren't strong enough or tight enough to make a secure fitting!? What wires did you use? The ones that came with the Accel kit, or some other brand?

If the wires are well secured to the metal clamps at the ends, I would think you could make them more permanently attached to the coils by soldering them to the coil posts!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The metal ends of the wires are a little weak to suit me. I will look for a way to get them to stay on better, maybe wrap wire around them or something else. Will pull them off tomorrow and see what I come up with. Thanks
          Bill Harvell

Comment

Originally posted by wildbill
            The metal ends of the wires are a little weak to suit me. I will look for a way to get them to stay on better, maybe wrap wire around them or something else. Will pull them off tomorrow and see what I come up with. Thanks
            Well I have the coils and wires on the dinning room table. From what I can tell the plugwire ends are to flexable, thats what causes them to fall off. I will have to come up with a cure real fast the BOSS is not happy about my mess . I`am thinking about trying some metal epoxy on the ends to see if that works. I will clean everything up good and see what happens. Another thing I thought about trying is wiring them on or glueing them. What would be best? Thanks.
            Bill Harvell

Comment

I think I might have solved my problem. The rubber boots on the plugwires are to short. I worked on the clips some and I noticed that with the boots all the way up on the coil, they allow to much flex. So I measured some line the same length as the plug caps and mounted them on the plugwires. I`am now waiting for the glue to set and then I will see what I have. The extra lines I added will keep the wires from bending so tight and should take care of the flexing.
              Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
              X