Distance lookup for members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance lookup for members

In the past, forum members were looking for a way to do a database so they could find other members in the area. I don't recall if anyone ever came up with a way to do this.

I was wondering if we used one of the low use forum fields like ICQ # and either had it changed or not if can't and then we put in zip codes, then we can build a database up that way. You can use a website search like http://www.melissadata.com/lookups to search distances between 2 zip codes. Or too make it easier we can use area codes instead.

What do you guys think?
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Find Locals

That sound like a great idea!!
    I just joined and would like to find others in my area!!
    Dennis 79' XS1100F 80'XS650Special Lets Git-R-Done And Cruise

Comment

INternational approach

Anybody know a way to do this worldwide as we have regular posters from Oz... the UK... Slovenia... etc etc
      XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
      Guzzi 850
      Z1000

Comment

I assume you guys still use international area codes there.

If we all put a local area code in for where we are it in the ICQ and then filled in the locations, a member could do a search putting in their area code and find all the people in the area code and then look at the exact location to find out what city they are in within that area code.

Makes sense to me.

Comment

Hey ThumperJSA,

Regrettably, using the ICQ # won't do any good for searching the Forum's, cause the search function is ONLY FOR POSTS, so it only searches messages and content and gives results in a list of messages containing that info. IT doesn't search the Members Profiles, and there isn't any search function to allow searching the member's profiles!!

So...what was discussed was creating several threads, either for regions, or states, or groups of states, and then folks would need to post their locating info in their message, like City, State, Zip, Area Code, Phone # local Prefix, and/or any other criteria that they wanted to use for searching. Then doing a search in the Forum would yield messages of people that matched those values......ie. similar area code, zip, etc.

I just didn't get around to finally organizing the thread(s), and perhaps making them sticky, so that they would always be on the front page to remind NEW members to post a locating message in the appropriate region thread!! So....okay, I guess I'll review those posts in that thread, and get to creating the threads.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I dont know how big a hassle it would be, but zip codes are international and would be easy to register that way, I guess. It would be nice to find other 11's in my area. (beside you John, you have "my" bike road ready yet?)
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Yours/mine/ours

It is running pretty good, but now that I have a good idea of what needs to be done, I'm going to start rebuilding the brakes, petcocks, and a few new pieces in the carbs. It will need a new battery. The one that you gave me won't hold a charge. We are going to try to re-stitch the seat. All in all, it seems to be in pretty good shape.

Comment

Someone did just that (a registry with map locations, worldwide) on the triples site.
                One downside is it would pop-up on a Google search and anyone could bring up your address and a map to your house, even non-members.
                It is still neat to click on your State (or Country) and see who might be close-by.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

On the site that I moderate in we use latitude and longitude for member locations. It gets interesting when people don't use the pluses and minuses correctly. We have several members living in the ocean someplace. I go there for a laugh sometimes, here's a link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/membermap.php

I have no clue how the thing got set up but it does show the distance from the member posting.
                  Don
                  99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

TC,

Go to members tab in forum, click on advanced search and then put 954 in ICQ#.

It will bring me up. I think the individual forums is a good idea too.

With the ICQ#/Area code search, you can use what is already setup with the forum software.

Comment

Hey ThumperJSA,

WELL, whatdyaknow, ya learn sumptin every day!!

I just never tried the advanced search function in the members section......DOH!!

I put both my area code and zip code in that spot(ICQ#), but when I try the search, it doesn't show "ME" up to ME?

Please try a search for 757=area code and 237=1st3 of my zip, and let me know IF I show up to your search!

Looks like we just need to place a Sticky message requesting EVERYBODY edit their profiles, adding Area### and Zip##### into their ICQ# spot, since it doesn't look like very many people use ICQ, and even if they did, I think there would be room for that number, AND the AREA and ZIPcode #'s as well!!

Do we think we still need the marathon list of messages with locations?? All of those threads and posts would allow more info about ourselves to be posted in the message posts vs. our profile!!??
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Distance look up members

OK, I'm in ICQ, the ball has started.
                        Ken/Sooke

Comment

Topcat,

I recommend just area code and not zip. It may get to complicated.

If a member has the area code in for the ICQ# and then also has the location in their profile, that should be enough. Area code will let you know if somebody is usually with 30 minutes or so of your location. If they have the location filled out, then you can see what town they are from when you look at the profile.

A sticky would be a great thing at the top of the members forum for this.

Comment

look up?

I'm a little confused. Do you mean to put the area code ind the IRQ field of our member profile? If so, I entered mine code there and then did a search with no results.

I checked TC's profile and there is nothing in his IRQ field on the profile. Also no luck on a search. Am I missing something?

Wouldn't it be just as easy to start a thread that has both our city and area code? Then when a search is performed, it would find the information in the body of the message.
                            Walt
                            80 XS11s - "Landshark"
                            79 XS11s
                            03 Valkyrie
                            80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
                            78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
                            81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

If you go to members and then advanced search and put in 954, it should pull me up.

If everyone puts in their area code in the ICQ# section, it makes it real easy to finde who is close by.

A single forum with area codes put in it would work. By using the advanced search feature, you can find who is in an area code you are searching for, then you can click on their name and get the location they put in the profile and PM them right from that location.

Hobbit, if I put 904 in the ICQ field, you come up OK.

I thought the ICQ field would be goot to use because from what I saw, very few people use it.

It was only a thought. I wanted to see if there was something already available on this forum that could be used to help people locate each other.
                              Last edited by thumperjsa; 02-19-2005, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X