Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona Bike Week

Well folks,

It is just around the corner. March 4-13th. I have personally never been but I would like to go up for a few days.

Anyone ever taken thier XS to Daytona? Any suggestions on places to stay or avoid, other than Daytona?
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Daytona

Greetings Thumper,

I've made it to Bikeweek the last couple of years (of course it's not that big of deal from Jacksonville) and I plan on going again this year.

There are plenty of places to stay near Daytona, like Ormand Beach and Deltona. A little further out you have Orlando (west) or St. Augustine (north).

When you make some plans, let me know and we can meet somewhere.

Anyone else making the trip.
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Hobbit,

Did you go for the whole time or just part of the time?

If I go, I am coming from north of Fort Lauderdale. I think it is about a 3 hour run for me. It will be the longest single run to date for me.

I was talking to a "Harley" friend of mine earlier today about going. He said he might but he would trailer his bike up there. He doesn't want to put on the extra miles on his bike.

Riding does not bother him when he used to have his older bike. Now that he has a $20,000 Harley, mileage means something to him. I guess all the more reason not to have a $20,000 motorcycle. Particullarly if you only want to ride around town on it.

Comment

Daytona

Thumper,
        I try to go down twice during the event. Once during the week and Saturday with my better half. Daytona is about 90 miles from my place so it makes a nice day trip.
        Walt
        80 XS11s - "Landshark"
        79 XS11s
        03 Valkyrie

Comment

Trailer Queens

Yet another $20,000. trailer queen. Really don't understand it. I have trailered bikes before but it was in Jan or Feb to haul down from Canada to Mexico or Florida. To trailer within Florida in Mar. Not much of a biker even if it is a Hog. Maybe he does not think his Hardley is capable of running trouble free for 3 hours each way.
          Ken/Sooke

Comment

I’ll be going up for bike week, which is not a big deal for me sense I only live 30 minutes from Daytona. Why don’t some of us xs1000 riders get together would love to see others bikes.

Comment

Well, I really want to go but I think the expense may keep me away. I have been checking hotels in the area and even with my contacts with Expedia, I can't find a hotel within miles under $140 a night. Even 2 star hotels. What gives.

Oh well. Unless I can find something way under $140 a night, I will be missing Daytona this year.

Comment

Soon as I find that 130/90/17 snow tire I'll be right down...
                Marty in NW PA
                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

hotels

Thumper,
                  Try this web site:
                  http://www.palmcoastflhotels.worldweb.com/

It's a listing of hotels in the area of Palm Coast, Fl.
                  It's only about a twenty or thirty minute ride to BikeWeek action.
                  You can either take I95 or A1A down along the ocean.
                  Walt
                  80 XS11s - "Landshark"
                  79 XS11s
                  03 Valkyrie

Comment

Marty put chains on them tires
                    Ralph

Comment

I live in the small town of Titusville Florida 30 min. from all the events in Daytona I bet you could find good hotel accommodations there. We here have always wondered why bike week people don’t come further south to get away from the rip-off prices up in Daytona. Plus it is a nice ride on highway US 1 there and back. Or you can take the wildlife drive through part of the national seashore park and see part of the Kennedy space center.

Comment

Actually, since I am south of Daytona, Titusville sounds better than Palm Coast. I will check into some rates. So far I found titusville being more expensive by a little than Palm coast website. I will keep looking. At least I am back under $100 a night. Sheesh.

Comment

Titusville

I can remember back in the mid 80's 2 of us towed down from Toronto and the snow of southern Ont. We got a motel room in Titusville. It was old but clean, cheap and the owners very nice. From there we did the tour of the space center (well worth it). Also spent time on some huge sand dunes by the ocean. This was just to the north of the space center property. Spent one day wandering the strip in Daytona and one day at the track for the 200. That was enough of that ZOO!
                          Headed south to the Everglades and a place called Chokloski Island (spelling ?) on the western edge of the glades. It was a good break from winter and a chance to get some early riding in. By and large the roads in southern Florida are not very challenging except for traffic.
                          Ken/Sooke

Comment

trailering

well my xj is a 20,000 dollar bike . and i do ride it everywhere.Let me refraze,my bike is priceless,(at least to me ) and thats all that matters.
                            1982 XJ 1100
                            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Well,

I reserved a days inn room in titusville. About $65 a night. If anybody knows a place we can meet up, speak up.

I plan on just being there a few days. I plan on riding up on Saturday early morning (Mar 5) and staying through Monday evening (Mar 7).

Comment

Working...
                              X