First posting plus a handlebar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First posting plus a handlebar question

Just began riding last summer after having acquired my brother in laws 80 XS Special. Kind of a midlife change kind of thing I guess. Took MSF course immediately to shorten the learning curve. This bike felt big, heavy and powerful, particularly being my first, and I'm liking it a lot.
    Anyway, my question is about the handlebars. Haven't had a problem using mine, even after a 500 mile weekend, but I would like to try a different wrist position. I have seen references here about using Goldwing bars. Could someone let me know what year and model to look for on ebay or any other suggestions? Glad to have found this site! Thanks a lot
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

I went to a bike shop and asked for a pair of Goldwing bars. They said, Oh! you want GS bars and handed be a set that has about the same rise and pull back as the stock Special bars, but spread the hands outward, rotating the wrists about 15 degress or so.

My wife now rides the Special and would like to go back to the stock Buck Horns. Interested in a trade?
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Dennyz, did you have any issues with hose and cable lengths, when you switched out the bars?

Comment

Dennyz, did you have any issues with hose and cable lengths?
        No problem at all. The length of the bars are actually very close to the same. The stock bars are 27 1/2" at the center of the ends and the GS bars are 30 1/2".
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

I have a 79 XS750SF that a PO put Standard bars on. I replaces the buckhorns on my LG with 'superbike' bars (lower, narrower, and flatter than standard bars).
          The buckhorns hurt my wrists.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Dennyz Haven't figured out what I want to do yet with the bar situation so can't think trade now, plus mine could be in better shape. Most Goldwing bars I've seen are either a GL1100 or 1200 and they look varied. Do you or anyone else have any other info other than GS, such as year, model etc?
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

If I recall correctlly, Our bars are 7/8". You should have a very wide variety to choose from. Dennis Kirk, JCW, Local bike shop, and so on.
              S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
              1-big XS patch
              1-small XS/XJ patch
              1-XS/XJ owners pin.
              1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
              2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
              1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
              1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Hey There Laxdad,
                There's only 1 set of bars in JCW that are close to the dimension of the GoldWing bars "I" use! I found them at a local salvage shop. Roughly the dimensions are described in JCW as
                A: total width from bar end to end
                B: RISE height from where the attach to the clamp to top bend
                C: Center width where clamps to TT, before the bends!
                D: Sweep back....from side view....distance from clamp location measured straight back to position of end of grip, not the actual grip length.

The set called Highbar style are only 5.5" wide at center clamp[C], which is barely wide enough to fit inside the TT clamps!
                A=32" Wide
                B=10" high
                D=10" deep

My GW's are 32" wide, 7" wide at clamp, about 10" high, and 10" deep, however the actual length of the grips are over 12" after the top bend!

One measurement they don't provide is how wide the bars are at the top bend, mine are about 15-16" depending on where you take the measurement, inside edge to inside, or center of bars! That width with total width contributes to the angle the grips are set, and the GW are a wider angle so less lateral flex of the wrists than the Buckhorns!

They didn't have the info on what model they came off of, but like you said, the earlier 1100 or 1200 models would be my best guess, but take a tape measure, and check them out with the above references! Happy Hunting!
                _ _ _
                / |_C_| \ B= | \

[----A------] [-D-]
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

DZ,

I like the buckhorn bars too, but I have an extra if you want it. You name your price.
                  Bill Murrin
                  Nashville, TN
                  1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                  1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                  2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                  2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                  1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                  2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Dennyz, can't seem to find a GS model Goldwing listed anywhere, so I still don't know exactly what bars to look for.
                    nashville bill, I might be interested in those extra buckhorns you mentioned.
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

GS bars

Hay Laxdad, I think Dennyz refering to Suzuki GS models, probably a GS1100 or something similar, but if you would like a good set of buck horns, I have some I'll let go for $10 plus shipping.

Comment

Working...
                      X