intake manifold construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intake manifold construction

I'm putting this here and in other bikes, just hoping to find someone with the answer.

How do you bond the rubber part of the carb holder to the metal part?

I did not notice before but the carb holders have a metal part and a rubber part. I am trying to figure out if you can separate them and then reconnect them. If I can do this it might be possible to mount a different set of carbs on my royal star. I would take the rubber part that fits the carb and connect to the metal part that matches the head. Any ideas?
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

The rubbeer is "bonded" to the aluminum. It is NOT a home project you can do.
    You can probably do it another way, though. If you can build the metal manifold plates to bolt up to the head, and have a short metal tube of the proper outside diameter, the same as the outside of the carb, use a short rubber hose or tube to complete. That would probably be the easiest way to make a new intake manifold.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks,
      It was worth a try, I've been into the machine shop and we are going to try to make a set. There are at least 2 other guys looking for the parts, so we may get a decent price at making up aluminum set and use a piece of rubber for final run.

I should not have been surprised at the clever way Yamaha changed just enough details that the 99 venture carbs will not fit on the 99 royal star without getting a custom part.

Comment

Maybe try the intake rubbers of an XS750 or 850. They use a rubber sleeve and 2 clamps instead of the bonded unit the 1100's have. Carbs are the same (just 3 of them instead of 4).
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

That is a great idea, I will check into other bikes using a rubber sleeve, it could cut down on the fabrication work, thanks!
          Any chance you know the carb size? Any chance anyone knows of any other bike using 32mm carbs?

Comment

Late model XS650's use the same 32 mm carbs. Look at the last item on this page:

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs_parts.php?category_id=4

Easiest solution is here:

http://www.partsnmore.net/item_index...art_unique=546
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Sorry to be picky, but the carb holder for the following looks like what I need:

Fits XS750 (77-79), XS750S (77-79), XS850 (80-81), XS850L (80-81), XS850S (80-81)
              High Quality - Made in Japan
              OEM Reference # 2F3-13586-01-00

Anyone know what size carbs on one these bikes?
              the part for the XS650 has that manifold mounting plate (as seen at Mikes XS), it looks like the XS750's used a hollow rubber tube (as seen at Partnmore). I can have custom part made that transitions from the head to a round and then make final connection with these tubes.

I feel like I am soo close, thanks for the tips

Comment

I've posted a query with the XSperts on the triple site as to carb sizes. I'll post the reply back here.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

I got only one reply on the triple site. He said they are the same size (34mm?).
                  I was hoping for more response but I'm thinking that no one chimed in to say otherwise then they are indeed the same.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

thanks, 32's or 34's?
                    any chance you have an old carb holder sitting around that you could check ID, OD and length. Not going to do much with this for the next week and a half except maybe some more net surfing to see what I can find. The temp is expected to drop as low as -5 here in Michigan over the holidays. The heater in the garage was not sized for this!
                    Thanks for the help and have a Merry Christmas, maybe take a ride for me.
                    Scott

Comment

I have spare rubber boots off an 850, I'll check the ID and let you know soon....
                      Carpe Diem!
                      1980 XS850G
                      1973 CT70

Comment

Working...
                      X