Iron Butt Rally (ButtLiteIII)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Butt Rally (ButtLiteIII)

Have seen a few posts about doing IronButt rides. I myself am planning to do the SaddleSore 1000 in the fall, on the 81XS11H of course.

This year the ButtLite rally starts and ends in Navasota Tx. I am planning to take that day off and ride up to watch the IB's and thier bikes start out. http://www.teamstrange.com/buttlite.htm

As far as I know, no XS has ever done the big IronButt or ButtLite. Hummm, I wonder
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

As far as I know, the only XS to do the big IB is JP Honeywell's Great White.

Number 2 ain't so bad.

Comment

I would like to do an IBA one of these days, but can't make it this year. Longest I did on my XJ: 920 miles, Spearfish SD to Grants, NM at the end of the Camp Spearfish rally......Saturday-Sunday AM, July 6 - 7 this year.

Had I really planned to do this, I would have made an IBA out of it....

Slept for a couple hours in Grants, then home to Prescott, another 345 miles. Got home just before noon on Sunday, July 7. Left Sperfish at about 8:45 on Saturday, July 6.

I was pulling my trailer, BTW......
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Ive been wanting to do one.
        Robert Reil
        www.motorcyclecarbs.com

Comment

Well, I know I'm not the only IBA member on an XS11 but let me add my thoughts to this thread.

Something that everyone, including rally organizers, must understand it that any endurance rally (or so-called "group Ironbutt ride") is that you cannot expect riders to ride together.

There is a fairly great chance that some people will not be able to finish the ride - for any number of reasons. Fatigue, mechanical problems, (hopefully not injury), etc. If the riders are hoping for IBA certification then there must be strict adherance to the IBA rules. Having existing IBA members on hand to witness at the start and finish would be a big bonus.

Endurance touring is not a community activity.
          Endurance touring is a solitary, selfish sport.
          Anyone thinking otherwise should reconsider either riding in or organizing such an event.

I have known people to ride in pairs in such events but even the best of friendships are tested in the process. Think about it. If your friend is taking too long at gas stops and you're sitting on the bike revving the engine, itching to go then you're going to be annoyed and distracted during the next leg. If you decide to leave then your friend is going to be PO'd - same result. Add a third person to the mix and the aggrivation is raised by a factorial.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or discourage anyone from either riding an IBA qualifying ride or attempting (or organizing) an endurance rally. I just think you'd better go in with your eyes open. Neither is easy.

Asking someone who has organized such an event would be very wise.

Comment

Iron Butting

Never having ridden any type of endurance ride, but having read descriptions by journalists and participants, I have $0.02 to add:

Any activity which features endurance as a factor is best attempted after sufficient training and conditioning has been undergone to ensure the safey of the participant. We've all heard the stories of bikers who "pushed" to go a little further, or to get home or somewhere else on a deadline who have begun to hallucinate. Not a good idea, ever. Riding safe is the most important thing you can do. If you don't care about yourself, why damage a perfectly good motorcycle?

Comment

so what qualifies for iron butt? i just put 920 miles in three days on the 1100 a freind road with on his 1500 goldwing. the last leg was a 440 mile sprint for home. we stopped about every 70 miles for gas. next time i think i may try to upgrade from the stock seat before i go

Comment

I don't know what qualifies for an iron butt, you'll have to ask JP about that. I do know what makes for a tolerable long ride and that is a Meyer Day-Long Saddle. Russ Meyer is back in business and can, I believe, be found on the web. If I ever own another bike, the first thing I do will be to order a Meyer saddle for it.

Comment

Iron Butt

Everything you want to know about IronButt rides and rules.

www.ironbutt.com

Comment

Originally posted by fatblock.geo
                    so what qualifies for iron butt? i just put 920 miles in three days on the 1100 a freind road with on his 1500 goldwing. the last leg was a 440 mile sprint for home. we stopped about every 70 miles for gas. next time i think i may try to upgrade from the stock seat before i go
                    What you did was not inconsequential but would not earn you much more than a mirthful smile in the endurance riding community.

The minimum requirements are 1000 (well documented) miles in 24 hours. That's called a Saddlesore 1000. My IBA trip (BunBurner Gold) was 1545 miles in 23:58. I went from Rapid City, SD to Chicago via Gillette, WY & Denver. Most Saddlesore 1000s are completed in about 18 hours.

Stopping every 70 miles is not the way to do an endurance ride. Although I did hear of someone doing a saddlesore on a YSR50. I imagine he had to stop a lot for fuel. (But I think he had a sweep/pit vehicle to support him on the trip.)

Comment

I've planned my Saddlesore 1000 for October. Im going from La Porte, Tx to Fort Stockton, Tx and back (1050 miles) in 24 hours!

I hope to do the BunBurner Gold (1500 miles in 36 hours) and also the CC50 (Coast to Coast in 50 hours). I know to do the CC50 I really need to get into better shape and so im in trainging now. DIET CITY!!!

Also next year, in April, I hope to compete in the Waltz Across Texas Rally http://www.waltzacrosstexas.org/

I just hope the Ol'Mule can stay together!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
                        I hope to do the BunBurner Gold (1500 miles in 36 hours) ...
                        Actually, That's a Bunburner. The BBG is 1500/24

Comment

Working...
                        X