May be on to something or may be on something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May be on to something or may be on something

I posted a thread a while back about my 81 special not wanting to go after much carb work and checking for other problem areas.
    I have the good fortune of living close to another XSive owner and one heck of a mechanic. He stopped by and took a look at my POS and got to wondering about the TCI. Well turns out someone did a deed on this machine it has the old model 2h unit installed as opposed to the 4h unit it needs. We both agree this could be a significant cause for running like a sick dog.
    Does any one have one of these units that they would sell or swap for a 2h?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
    81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Thanks Dan
    To clarify Dan's point. His 81SH has a 2H7 ignition module on it, and from what my research has discovered is that it should have the 4R0 module that is specific to the 81 model. TC or anyone els who owns an 81, can you jump in and clear this up? What is the consequence of such a mismatch?

Comment

I think that the 81SH did away with the mechcanical vacuum advance. If you had the older module you could get the bike to idle, but it would start to run crappy with any throttle. I think that someone the forum has done alot of research on the modules, but I think you need to fine one of the 4R0 units.
      Ken
      '79 xs1100f
      '79 xs1100sf

Comment

My '81 Special's ignition module is marked:

Type TID14-04

4RO-10
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Steelcat is right, in 81 the mechanical advanced went away. The 4RO box has electronic advance built into the circuitry on in the TCI.

You have two options here:

1. Get a 4RO TCI box

2. Get a 2H7 mechanical advance unit.

HTH

Randy

Comment

also check that your bike has a bal resister on it,if you have one then it is a different black box than if you did not have a bal resister if you get what i mean.

Comment

I think the coil primaries were different too, as long as you run the newer coils with an older box you are ok, but older coils and a new box will cause problems (overheating of ignition box).
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

My 81 has the 4R0 box on it. I wouldn't mess around with trying to make the incorrect module work, just get a used correct ignition box from someone here on the forum, ebay, or your local bike salvage yard. I have seen several 4R0 boxes sell used for $45.00 to $100.00.
                Gary is correct about the 81 coils being unique to the 81 model.
                Bill Woods
                1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

TCI for my 81

Thanks for all the input. I am searching for an 81 4RO.
                  From all you have told me that should make my POS run like a good one. Holler if any one finds one or has one.
                  Thanks
                  Dan
                  Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
                  81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

Working...
                  X