First and favorite concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First and favorite concert

Anybody remember it? It was a long time ago. My first was in Bangor Maine. It was 73. Three bands. Opening act, ZZ Top. Second band. Earth Wind and Fire. Headliner, Uriah Heep. Ticket cost $5.25. Experience, Priceless.
    My favorite has to be the most recent Yes tour. They didn't have a new album to promote, so they played their old stuff. Three hours of classic Yes. The Union tour was very good also. The line up included almost eveyone that ever played in the band. I think Peter Banks and Patrick Moraz were the only ones that didn't perform. Another memorable show was in 94 when Pink Floyd played Texas Stadium. I think I had great time

First famous person I saw in concert was Vicci Sue Robinson at Disneyland.
    First official concert was The Earl Skruggs Review (Lester Flat and Earl Skruggs).
    First rock concert was Cheap Trick.
    Best show was Kansas.
    Worst was Ted Nugent (various reasons, not Teds fault)
    Last seen was Rolling Stones, Steel Wheels tour, long damn time ago.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Best one was at, but don't remember .I know I was there I still got the ticket stub here in a photo book some where . Was Foreigner opened, Nazareth was 2nd, and The Motorcity Madman took the roof off at a place in Landover Md. in 77.
      Madbiker
      80 Midnight Sp
      Evil Mistress

Comment

First I've seen,

T'was the ?Fall of 76,(18y/o) had a 74Yam. TX500 twin street bike, lived in San Angelo, rode 2 up 200+miles to DFW, can't remember the name of the stadium....Kennedy?, was a Texas sized jam.

Bob Welch, Little River Band, Steve Miller, and Fleetwood Mac. Not the rockinginest groups, but were popular at the time. And the 2nd hand "smoke" helped the atmosphere Got my 8track/Fm stereo stolen out of my hard side saddlebags

I haven't done very many concerts, didn't like live performances vs. the quality of the albums!

Worst: Barry Manilow in NYC with SWMBO

I've seen Willie Nelson in Japan, Tower of Power in Hawaii,
        ZZ-Top here in Va., and a pretty good show by the local Orchestra doing covers of Led Zep with a local Rock band in an open air amphitheatre.

Best: Not Music! George Carlin in U.Hawaii amphitheater Summer of 73.....2 1/2 hours of side splitting fun!! Again, the 2nd hand "smoke" enhanced the experience!!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

First; Black Sabbath and Van Halen [first national tour for VH]- Cape Cod Colosseum. 1977,age 16. Tons of first hand smoke.
          Favorite ? Little cloudy on that one. No pun intended. Saw Rush about nine times in the '80's. Peter Gabriel's first arena tour solo. Still, I prefer the small venues hosting the rare truly original acts. Getting harder to find these days. Had the distinct pleasure of working with James Brown at an exclusive New years' eve gig- Fairmont Hotel in SF around '93. That was a real standout. Anyone ever hear of a band called Southern Culture on the Skids? Got a great story about them from a fairly recent gig.
          Last edited by tfm3; 09-29-2004, 03:52 AM.
          '81H
          '77 GS750
          '80 ATC 200
          '79SF [stolen]

Comment

first

Cheap trick was my first,then came the hard stuff. Judas Priest like 23 times black sabbath,reo, metalica,pink floyd ,heart , van halen, sammy (as halen member) ,twisted sister, poison, .38 special and the list goes on.Most all enhanced by first hand smoke.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

First... hmmm... not sure, but I think sex pistols.
              Favorite... dunno... motorhead a couple times, but I was too wasted to remember, clawfinger, the trip to an iron maiden concert was fun, bloodhound gang was the most fun, apocalyptica were nice, had good sandwiches, were nice to chat with, security sucked (so I could chat with em and eat their food LOL), I wanted to commit suicide out of boredom on a thin lizzy concert, good thing I was drunk, I missed metallica coz I just got my first (real) bike that day... too many to remember LOL.
              Almost forgot... laibach... cold. And my ex was bitchin bout something

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

First concert was The Who in 1969 at the Municipal Auditorium in Atlanta, they had just previously played Tommy at the Met. Tickets were $4.50, 5.50, and 6.50!
                I've seen too many great concerts in the last 30 years to pick a favorite, especially during the 70's before most bands got so big and you could still see them up close in small venues.
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

Bad Company/Kansas Niagara Falls Convention Center General Admission 1976...............very cool!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by tfm3
                    Anyone ever hear of a band called Southern Culture on the Skids? Got a great story about them from a fairly recent gig.
                    SCOTS are outstanding! I've seen them almost a dozen times starting back about 15 years ago. A very fun band to see.
                    Robert
                    79 SF

Comment

My first concert was in 1977? John Denver and the Starland Vocal Band and was a pretty good concert over all.

The worst consert I've attended was Gordon Lightfoot in the early 80s. The story was he was drunk that night.

As you can see I'm not a hard rocker and I didn't go to concerts much back then and not hardly at all now. I used to go to clubs for local live music (mostly jazz.)

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I saw Gordon Lightfoot in Duluth, MN, 1979. He may have had a few, but he put on a good show. I'm sure the location had something to do with it.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

First concert - Jethro Tull, August 6, 1976, Chicago Stadium. It was such an awesome concert that I've seen them six more times since. The best was probably December 3, 1987 at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in St. Louis. I was able to bring in my 35mm camera with ISO-3200 color film since I wasn't using a flash. I walked out on the wing above stage left and Ian Anderson looked up at me while strumming his acoustic guitar. What a great shot!

Best warm up band - Emerson, Lake & Palmer for Jethro Tull at Riverport Amphitheater, St. Louis Friday, September 13, 1996. What a concert!

Loudest concert - AC/DC, November 1981 at Rosemont Horizon, Chicago. Sat right in the center of the main floor. My ears rang for four hours after leaving the concert.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty
                            I saw Gordon Lightfoot in Duluth, MN, 1979. He may have had a few, but he put on a good show. I'm sure the location had something to do with it.
                            It was raining in Portland and there were several bars a short walking distance to the concert hall. The next time Lightfoot was in town the reviews said he put on a hell of a show. He must have been in a good mood that day.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

First Concert - Tina Turner opened by Bryan Adams.

Favorite Concert - Aerosmith opened by Guns-n-Roses when they weren't that popular. G-n-R was a tough band to follow, but no problem for Aerosmith.

Honorable mentions - ZZ Top, BB King (almost my favorite), Ray Charles, Billy Idol (he got hit in the head with a bottle - left for about 15 minutes - then came back bandaged up and finished the show), Grateful Dead, Suicidal Tendencies (great slamming - chipped a tooth), Cramps, Warren Zevon (RIP), Clapton, Eagles and the Rolling Stones.

Who I want to see - Springstein, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Harry Connick, Neil Young, and Willie Nelson.

Who I wish I saw - Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles, Talking Heads, Muddy Waters, Bobby Blue Bland, and the Sex Pistols.
                              Jason K.
                              '80 XS1100G
                              '80 XS850LG
                              '96 FZR600

Comment

Working...
                              X