205 mph!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 205 mph!!!

Ouch!! I can just imagine this guys insurance premiums once he gets back on the road after the speed record he set.

http://wcco.com/localnews/local_story_265090112.html
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

My next move...

Hey You Guys,
    I was out riding and this guy kept 'bugging me' so...I was gonna' pass him...but just then I noticed a gleam off my visor...and when I looked up...I saw a plane overhead...

Minnesota Trooper Writes 205 MPH Ticket

WABASHA, Minn. (Sept. 21) - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.
    "I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

He's lucky I was still in fourth gear...Next time...I'll dust him off....

" These dreams...go on when I close my eyes"
    (Ann & Nancy Wilson cir-1986)
    MO-N-STEVE
    '79 SF "MO's Missile"
    '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
    '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
    '80 SG "The BEAST"
    '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
    '81 SH "The NEW KID"
    '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

sounds expensive

Comment

sounds

sounds like i'll be leaving this site and freqwenting the honda 1000 site. you guys are having a hard time going 115 mph
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I saw this same story on the AP newswire yesterday. Its from the St. Paul Pioneer Press, St. Paul, MN. http://www.twincities.com

A year or so a guy in Chicago was ticketed for doing a bit over 160 mph up Lakeshore Drive on his Bandit, but 205 is the highest I've heard of on a street bike. I get nervous breaking 100 mph on the XJ, can't imagine doubling that.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

i'd say 160 on lakeshore would be worse than 205 on the interstate.

Comment

two wheel tue.

i just finished watching 2 wheel tue. like the host stated on the show,1 million dollar gp bikes just cracked the 200 mph barrierior. sounds a little scetchy on the 205 for a street bike,but hey even at 2 bones thats flat @ss flyin
              1982 XJ 1100

Comment

i heard a suzuki hayabusa will go close to 200 mph stock.

Comment

bussa yes

19999 busas went like 205 mph stock,the next year they detuned for like a 199 top end. Fixable though with a power comander.But a honda 1000 VERY many people sceptical on that one.Even with a lot of work done to it. But they did not say what 1000 either.
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

bike mag in OZ tested Hayabusa on an airstrip, had to take mirrors off to get to 322 kph (200 mph) on a stocker

Comment

The article did say " When one of the motorcycles shot foward ". This sounds to me like there has been some serious modifications done to this bike. Includeing mabee, just mabee, at the push of a button, Nitrous, Or even possibly magical gremlins.
                      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                      1-big XS patch
                      1-small XS/XJ patch
                      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I'm getting hammered by my crotch rocket buddies at the office. Only one said 205mph would be possible. The rest of them say "no way". Stock or not that is crazy! Once this kid gets finished paying fines and community service, I'd like to get him to take a look at my XS1100SF and see if he has any suggestions. He has a bright future in R&D for Honda. Believe me the Honda manufacture boys will be giving him a call. What an advertisement.....Bet sales of the Honda 1000 double!!! As for me....I'll stick to a few miles over the speed limit....
                        "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

Working...
                        X