Carlsbad Raceway.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlsbad Raceway.

I heard and later read that Carlsbad Raceway has closed for good. It was the track where the Hang Ten US Grand Prix of Motocross was held in 1973 and the last real Drag strip in the San Diego area. I was fortunate to go to the 1st and 3rd Grand Prix's and got to see the legends of MX go for it. Just too many people on too little land out here.

Big Pat

When I lived in San Diego (1980-81) I took a ride on my Suzuki TS185 and happened across Carlsbad Raceway.
    I bought a ticket and pit-pass and was able to park my bike along the fence at the end of the strip at the staging lanes.
    I sat there on my bike and BSed with Shirley Muldowney for 10 minutes or so before one of her runs.
    A surprising day for heading out with no destination in mind.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hi Guys, until two years ago I llived on the hill right above the one time great Carlsbad Raceway with motocross on sat. and drag races on sunday. Well, today the grading started for more commercial buildings. So in a short time the land will be covered with buildings. A sad way to go but this part of Cali. is going building crazy. The track is gone. Ths land was sold awhile back and has been used on sat. for brief racing but that has faded over the last few years. The only close raceways now are owned by the Indian tribes. Go figure.

Mike in San Marcos. Ca. xj1100
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

Back in the early 70's I raced a Husky there every weekend. The track was know for its killer jumps and whoopties. I watched one of the top local racer debut the Yamaha mono-shock there. All the euro bike racers laughed at it until they had to deal with the Yamaha on the track. The Yamaha did not have the power of the euro bikes, but it eat them up in the corners and whoopties.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
        X