Hi, biggles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, biggles!

Glad to have met you,John! Now to the reason for this thread. Did a show today- band I work with played an Ace hardware grand opening in Lafayette,CO. During a set break I'm out in the parking lot with the lead guitarist and a local cop discussing our various collections of modified Strats and Les Pauls. Turn around to see a '79 special parked 30' feet away. Owner is walking towards the bike. Introduce myself,tell him about this site.He just e-mailed me to tell me he's logged on here. Got carb issues he needs help with [who doesn't?] This dude did a vacuum mod I'd never seen before -share it with the group,John! Dude needs a new tank-badly.
    '81H
    '77 GS750
    '80 ATC 200
    '79SF [stolen]

Thanks tfm3. I'm not real proud of my xs 11 mods, being a temp fix. I need to tell about the history of my ?repair?, so you don?t think I?m nuts. Last winter I bought this bike from a neighbor for $200, been sitting outside for a couple years, in pretty good shape, but with a huge dent in the side of the tank and a 2? rip in the seat. Put a battery and fresh gas in it. Seemed to run O.K.. freed up the frozen calipers and took it for a spin. It choked up @ over 3k rpms. I found that if I removed the lower half of the airbox, it was driveable. I have since had the carbs off and apart twice looking for a plugged jet or passage, float levels, needle settings and the like. I put in the next size smaller main jets. Now the bike ran very strong, but cylinders #3&4 would load up and not pull @ idle. Just off idle, they would pick up. If I pulled off the plugs on the vacuum ports on #3&4, they would start to hit. By playing with the amount of vacuum leak, I could get it to idle on all 4. So I put a piece of vacuum hose between #3&4 ports, cut a hole midway in hose and stuck a standard size main jet in hole. Voila, man does it go! As soon as I get the time (sometime this winter), I?ll figure out what?s going on and fix it right. Too many projects and not enough time right now. BTW, great website, been here several times for the great info, never thought I would post anything, though.

Comment

Got your PM's. Glad you got the whole posting thing sussed out. Seems like a Colorado rally is in order here! Heading for the Peak-to-Peak hiway now. 86 degrees and sunny! See ya!
      Mods are the mother of necessity,not a pride thing. My humble 2 cents worth.
      Last edited by tfm3; 09-18-2004, 11:34 AM.
      '81H
      '77 GS750
      '80 ATC 200
      '79SF [stolen]

Comment

Sounds like a suspect fuel bowl breather hose.

Comment

Working...
        X