OT - Homepage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Homepage?

I've been working on a homepage posting pics of my bikes and hobbies of sort and my wife wondered why I haven't put any family pictures on it yet. My reply was, "There too many creepos out there."

Since then I have browsed around and found people with family pictures and those without. Almost a 50/50 like ratio.

Am I just being paranoid or is it a legitimate concern?
    Jason K.
    '80 XS1100G
    '80 XS850LG
    '96 FZR600

Good question! I am one of those that do have a website with family pictures on it. I have young daughters and I am careful not to put too much information on it..such as location where I live, where they go to school, where my wife and I work....I've had the site for 4 years and so far no problems. But you know you have to trust your gut.
    "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

I have often put up family photos of vacations and special events. One trick to use if you have security concerns is to use the a META tag in the HEAD section of your page. Syntax looks like this:

<META NAME="robots" CONTENT=" NOINDEX NOFOLLOW>

The NOINDEX keeps search engines (robots or spiders) from adding your page to their findings, and NOFOLLOW keeps the robot/spider from following any links on your page and indexing those links.

The upshot is you have to tell people where your web page is, as a search won't find it. This works on servers/isps that support the HTML 4 standard. Something to think about.

(Sample is from Elizabeth Castro's book HTML for the World Wide Web, 4th Edition, page 343. )
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
      X