NASCAR new points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR new points

Any one have thoughts or comments on nascars new point system? like dislike etc?
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Yeah, I think it suxs!! "Play-offs" are for ball sports, not racing. I think all the teams that aren't in the top ten after this weekend ought to just stay home and boycott the rest of the season. After all, they don't have any chance at the championship or even finishing in the top ten, so why bother? It's totally unfair to teams that may have had a poor start in the season, but finish out the season strong. Even if you win every race after this weekend, if your locked out of the so-called "race for the chase", what good does it do you? It's a piss-poor idea, and I can't believe NASCAR did this. Whoever came up with the idea ought to be strung up by his nads!
    John
    82 XJ1100J
    "eXJunk"

Comment

?

But how do you really feel?
      Walt
      80 XS11s - "Landshark"
      79 XS11s
      03 Valkyrie
      80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
      78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
      81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I like it as long as my driver is in the top ten. lol

Comment

?

i'm looking at it this way,it just shifts the focus to the 11th throughlets say15th place drivers(teams). I don't care for it either,good or bad . A drive in 12th place should not be able to win the jewels,if he could not be a contender for first all season why should he have a shot at the money in only ten races?Jimmy,jeff Dale etc,have fought to be on top, they've all had dnf's but still managed to stay on top. Oh well to late now nascar has a good habit of FIXING things that work,at least they're consistant.
          1982 XJ 1100

Comment

I agree that the new point system has some flaws. But you have to look at the reason this is happening. There are new NASCAR fans out there that have not been brought up in the old NASCAR ways. These new fans are all for "fairness" so see this as a way to make everything fair. An example of this is NEXTEL taking over the cup series. By the tobacco companies not being able to advertise there was really no reason for Winston to continue to host the cup series. Why host it if you can't advertise your product. Now NASCAR is hosted by a company that wants to be politically correct in the things they do. I may not agree with them but I could see it comming. Another thing that I understand is on the way is using NEXTEL for all in car communication.
            I have no way to verify this other than what a person higher up in NEXTEL in Atlanta told me. He said that all in car communication would slowly be phased into NEXTEL only communication. The scanners that all the old fans use will be cut off and replaced with NEXTEL. But hey...it's still a great spectator sport...
            "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

Someone brought up another potential problem with this "play-off" cock-up that I hadn't even considered, and I'm sure few other people have either. What happens when the sponsors start putting a "performance" clause in their contracts with the teams that says that their sponsership is contingent on making it into the "race for the chase"? When you have 30-40 teams that will be locked out every year, that means you may only have 10 or so teams that will have guaranteed sponsorship for the next season. What happens then???? It's hard enough now to come up with sponsors! And you either need really deep pockets, or big sponsorship dollars to field a competitive effort.
              I still think this is going to bad for the sport in the long haul. I see it coming down to the haves versus the have nots. Maybe when it winds up being like the indy car situation where they have trouble finding enough cars to fill the field, NASCAR might get there heads out of their rears and put things back like they were. "If it aint broke, don't f*ck with it!"
              John
              82 XJ1100J
              "eXJunk"

Comment

sponsors

not likly sponsors come on before you race,for the most part.i can't see there only being 10 sponsors next year.on another note though i don't like that winston had to be forced out of the major race sponsoring,hey i liked getting those free cartons of smokes at all the winston tracks...lol
                1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Working...
                X