How much did you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much did you pay?

I figured I'd start a new thread just to see where it goes. With all of the political jargin going on on this site. I figured that we need to take a break from that. So,, Please, Keep the political discussion to a min. on this thread.
    The question is,(1) How much did you pay for your XS? Running or not. (2), How much did it take to get it where it is now? (3),How much will it take to get it where you want it? approximets are deffinetlly the way to go unless you have your reciepts in your back pocket.
    1. I paid $500.00 for my 79sf . Barely running
    2. Got aprox. $600.00 into her.
    3. About another $500.00 or so till I get her where I want her.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

i payed 800 six years ago
    1200 in a transmition
    300 in tires
    want to spend 800 more aprox for the big bore
    getting pure adrenilain rush from riding it priceless
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

how much

paid $1300.00 for my bike. haven't had to put any major money into it with the exception of the normal maintenance and wear and tear ; tire, fuse box, battery - just the little stuff. i've had it for 4 1/2 - 5 years now. have spent maybe a total of $500.00 on it since i bought it, and i drive it everyday to and from work (weather permitting) and then some... would like to spend another $500.00 - $750.00 on it to finish it off; back tire, new paint job, (bronze just doesn't do it ) fork brace, and exhaust. bought it with 14,000 miles it now has 31,000 miles on it. hasn't failed me yet - with the exception of the one time i ran it out of gas .

80sg
      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

original price - $350.
        Seat, tire, exh.system, battery, etc - $350
        want: fairing, back tire, new intake boots, luggage rack, rear brake pads ~$500

...like Mike said, "XSive riding experience: PRICELESS!"

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

1978 XS1100E with 7,200 miles (1979 tags on the license). $60.00 (it sat outside for 20 years unused).
          $400.00 got it on the road, including initial purchase and registering.
          I currently have $4,000 to 5,000 into it.
          It will never be done. I am a tinkerer and modifyer. I recently got the 6.5 tank for it and the standard seat.
          One of the appealling aspects of this bike is it's versatility. I currently have the fairing, hardbags, and trunk on it. I also enjoy it nekkid. I can now put it back to original stock condition or cafe it or ride it across country. A little work can transform the bike to differing roles/moods. No new bike can do that. Buy a crotch-rocket and that's what you're stuck with. V-Star, you have a cruiser and that's it.
          So now my major choices are (none for sale):
          -stock tank, 6.5 gal tank.
          -stock seat, double-bucket seat
          -hardbags
          -trunk(s), large or small
          -Jardine 4 into 2, stock exhaust
          -Pacifico fairing, small deflector wind screen, or nothing.
          I think of getting another XS1100 to make a "Sporty" playbike and convert the $60 Gem into the touring workhorse.
          We'll see.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

$150='81 Special [complete, not running] from a church group.
            $1000=parts/supplies,etc,etc.
            $400-500=for future shocks, paint, misc. etc.

Not a bad deal at all.

Big Pat

Comment

I paid $1000.00 for my 79F Standard. Fairing, saddlebags, and trunk, running okay. Spent more time than money on her. I don't count tires, cause they are a normal expense. I bought a 79 Special for parts, for $75.00, frame, engine, both wheels, Gorilla sissy bar. That bike alone has saved me a bundle of bucks. So far, I have used the voltage regulator and 2 of the carb slides (after cleaning them up)...The carbs were tooooo far gone to even attempt to repair. I put the 16-inch wheel on the rear of my standard, but when I have to replace the tire, I think I will go back to the 17-inch rim. The "little black box" is good, so I've got it put up in my "Parts Bin For Future Use". Other than that and normal maintainence (eg, filters, tires, etc.) I probably have about spent way less than $100.00. Most of my problems have been due to PO neglect, that seems to show up at irregular intervals, for example, a "spliced" wire from the pick-up coils to the electronic ignition module. By spliced, I mean the PO had a broken wire, so he laid them side-by-side and taped them...no solder, no wire nut, not even twisted together. Found that little gem after a 1000-mile round trip with my wife. Talk about someone watching out for you. I figure about another $500 to $700 before I'm happy........Oops.....fergot about a new paint job...Our last hailstorm did a number on my bike.
              I have seriously thought about selling my XS and getting a newer bike (can't afford to keep 2 in my barn), but----dang it all---I like that baby just way too much to let her go. But, , I probably will when the right deal comes along.
              I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

1978 xs1100E
                3400.00 brand new back in 1978

about 1200.00 in rebuilds last year after it sat for 12 years
                still chasing the little probs
                but had it out tonight and let the ponys run, and it ran great

so i guess i have about 4600 invested
                http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                79F Parts
                80G Parts
                75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

I got the mongrel for free as a trade in. The guy gave it to me for transferring the bags and trunk to the nicer XS11 standard that he bought from me.

I needed a lot of cosmetic parts and the fork tubes off it to get another 80 Special I had going. It was a low mileage and clean machine with some rust in the wrong places. The riding position on Specials kills my back so I sold it.

I have a low mileage 79 standard (17k miles) that I'm restoring and I intended to ride but the restoration is taking longer than I expected, It was left under a carport for over 20 years and looks pretty rough.

I pulled what I needed off a 79 parts bike that I bought from Rock Jock to resurrect the Mongrel and a couple weeks work. I spent about $250 on it for bits and pieces to get it going and maybe another $100 since then. The wiring harness like the rest of the bike is half standard and half special. It has the complete front-end, gauges, rear fender and seat from a standard. It was originally only going to be a temporary bike to hold me over until I finish the other one but now I think I’ll keep both. The Mongrel is set up for touring and I plan to set the standard up a bit more sporting.

I've made enough money on the last 3 bikes I sold that all the bikes in my garage are free and clear.

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I paid $2K. Bike was NICE with 11K miles. Long trip to get it $. I put 16K miles on it in a little over a year. Wore out the tires $. Wore out the oil $. Bought some add on parts on eBay $$$. Replaced some aged rubber parts $. Maybe it adds up to a little over $3K. It seems cheap enough to me for a pretty bike that I'm getting a lot of use from.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

XS11 - $1k
                      Clutch, 4-1 exhaust, petcock rebuild, windshield, carb rebuild, front brakes, new front tire, replacement seat and speedo and many misc parts from Ebay - $1500 more.

Riding my XS1100 on a warm sunny day... priceless
                      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Well, eXJunk was bought off eBay for $75 (only bidder), wrecked and not running (didn't even have the right carbs). I paid $100 for my parts XJ at the local dealer and bought a bunch of parts off the 'Bay. At this point I probably have close to $500 in it altogether, with probably a couple hundred more to finish it up. So I figure a grand total of about $750 by the time I'm all done.
                        Not too shabby! Of course, we don't even want to count all my time. That's a whole 'nother story!
                        John
                        82 XJ1100J
                        "eXJunk"

Comment

I bought mine for $560.00 off e-Bay but had to drive a 24hr round trip to fetch it. Rained the whole way and was worth every dime.
                          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Originally posted by Winterhawk
                            I bought mine for $560.00 off e-Bay but had to drive a 24hr round trip to fetch it. Rained the whole way and was worth every dime.
                            Except for the rain, that sounds like the exhausting trip up to Bozeman to get the parts bike I bought from Rock Jock. My Nephew and I drove up there in his miserably small Nissan pickup. The trip would have been unmanageable if I didn't have family up that way.

Tony
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Wow, those sound a lot like my last bike purchase...I rode from Central Nebraska to southwestern Wisconsin to pick up a '78XS for $300. Should have taken us 24 hours, but it got stretched into about 28. It was all smooth sailing to begin with but by the time we got home, we were dodging tornadoes left and right. They followed the line of the interstate like they were searching us out!

Oh well, we fooled them. Took a wrong turn at Des Moines and ended up in Missourri. Goes to show what can happen when you're paying more attention to the weather than the road.

Oh well...I love the bike and not rain, nor hail, nor tornado stopped me from getting her home. She came with a Yamaha (Vetter) fairing and radio along with trunk and fiberglass saddlebags. I've had to put another $200 or so into her, but that's it.

My other bike is an XJ I bought sight unseen from Honolulu over the internet. I was just browsing a Hawaii rider's site and found a post. Bought the bike for $150, Title transfer and overdue fines $150, Shipping to this island $150, and storage for 3 months until I got here to pick it up $150. She came in about 35 pieces without instructions. Assembly went sort of like "Hmm, that piece has 4 holes through it, it looks like it lines up with those 4 holes on the frame...yup, looks like it fits" Half the time I'd end up tearing the pieces back off to access something underneath anyway, or else I'd just end up matching wire colors. Since then I've put another $200 or so into her. $800 for a bike this good is not too shabby in my book!

'82 XJ1100J-John
                              '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Working...
                              X