dunlop 491's - factory defect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dunlop 491's - factory defect?

tires are only 2 months old. about 9000 miles.

i have found three very large cracks. not sure what caused it - i know i have been running proper pressure. could this be a factory defect? does dunlop have a warranty?

Tire Failure

When you are going to spring for new tires for your XS have a close look at Michelin Macadam's. I have been very pleased with mine. Ratbyk had them on when I bought it. Have run those tires off and replaced both front and rear with another set of Michelin's. Have now run the rear off again (17000 km) and have just again replaced it with another Michelin. They work well for me and seem to do a good job on wet roads as well.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Only a couple months old? Should be covered. Take them back to your dealer.

Good luck!
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Hey there Beech,
        Here's the poop from their web site: Note parts in BOLD.
        I haven't noticed any cracking on mine that I got last year in G.A.!
        WHAT IS WARRANTED
        Every new Dunlop motorcycle tire that becomes unserviceable within six years or 72 months of the date of manufacture for conditions other than those which are listed under "WHAT IS NOT COVERED" will be replaced on the basis specified under "REPLACEMENT COST" below.

ELIGIBILITY
        This warranty is extended to the first retail purchaser.

REPLACEMENT COST UP TO 50% WORN
        If, during the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, it will be replaced with a comparable new Dunlop tire. You pay only for retailer services, such as mounting and balancing.
        WHAT IS NOT COVERED

Tires worn beyond the last one thirty-second of an inch (1/32") of original tread depth. Beyond this point, the tire has delivered its original tread life and there is no warranty regardless of its age or mileage.
        Tires submitted for unserviceable before wear-out (1/32" tread depth remaining), but more than 72 months after the week of manufacture as determined by the U.S. Department of Transportation serial identification number.
        Tires on motorcycles normally operated outside the U.S. and Canada.
        Tires used in reaching, other competition, or in excess of legal speed limits. See also speed restriction for repaired tired in "Tire Selection Care and Maintenance."
        Highway-type tired used for off-the-road service or in any application not recommended by the motorcycle manufacturer.
        **Skipped parts about Tubeless on Tube rims and such!**
        The consequences of new tires or repaired tires not being subjected to a proper run-in/break-in period. See Tips
        Run in tip:
        Replacements for worn, differently patterned or constructed tires will not react the same. When new tires are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power, abrupt lean-over or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been covered. This will permit the rider to become accustomed to the feel of the new tires or tire combination, find the edge, and achieve optimum road grip for a range of speeds, acceleration and handling use. Check and adjust inflation pressure to recommended levels after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in. Remember, new tires will have a very different contact patch and lean-over edge. New tires, mixing a new tire with a worn older tire, and mixing different pattern combinations require careful ride evaluation.

Ozone cracking/weather checking for tires treated with dressings or incompatible cleaning agents or submitted more than 48 months after manufacture.

There is no warranty for any specific mileage achievement.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

well i am heading down there in a little bit, receipt in hand.

local dealer had to order them, so i'm sure they are covered.

good news for me - thanks guys.

Comment

Good luck and please let us know how this turns out. I'm always interested in how warranty issues are handled by companies!
            '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

just got back.

the guy who sold it to me looked pretty shocked when he saw the condition of the tire.

he said his parts guy is going to be in at noon, but from looking at the tire he doesn't see how there would be any problem replacing it. especially since it has been on there less than two months (july 2x) and there is still decent tread left. i even told him i have a good 8,000 miles on it.

will post back here when i find out for sure.

Comment

FYI

they replaced the tire. only cost me $14 (mount & balance is usually $25)

i was totally honest with the guy - told him i had over 8,000 miles on it. i would say there was no more than 1/2 tread left. i said if dunlop gives him a hard time, to let me know and he said "don't worry about it - i just hope you come back and do business with us in the future" --- I WILL.

i'm really glad powersportspro did not have any tires on hand when i stopped in. i told the kid at the parts counter what happened, and he told me that there is no warranty on mc tires.

i am never going back to their parts counter again. they have screwed up too many times. this one had they had the tire on hand would have cost me $150

Comment

Cool! Customer service lives. It's always nice to deal with people who realize that how today's problem is handled determines if we'll be back tomorrow.
                  '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

Working...
                  X