Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. DVD Technical ?

Hey there folks,

I have a DVD burner, live in US. I've made a DVD video of the 2003 Suches Ga. Rally I attended.

Question is, can someone from Europe/UK play it on their home/set top DVD player?? Both concern is about my Home Burner making it in Region(1) specific format, and I know I recorded and encoded the MPG's in NTSC format, and they have Pal/Pascam (IIRC) format as well as REGION 2!?

If they can't view it in DVD/TV format, then they should be able to view the RAW Original MPG's(saved onto a DVD-rom formatted disc) using a DVD-rom drive on their computer and viewing them like accessing a CD-rom drive and files, right!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Hmmm... don't worry bout regions... they were an annoyance for a week, not anymore tho...

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

TC, I've got very limited experience with DVD, but I've managed to make archival(yeah, right) backup copies of several using a prg called DVD Shrink. DVD Shrink Info if you're not familiar with it. I've noticed on a few of them that it gives me the option to make them "region free". Might be what you're looking for. And the best part is that it's free.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Hi T.C.

You're right on both counts. It's not gonna play in their set top DVD player, but the .mpg files would play on their computer.

I don't know but I would not be suprised to find there are freeware NTSC to PAL converters. Same goes for software that enables your burner to write region free discs. Check www.videohelp.com - great site for anyone interested in computer video. Take care.

Labrat

Comment

Thanks Labrat and Brian for info,

BTW, Welcome Labrat to the Forum!!!

I've got software to be able to record in either NTSC or PAL, but the videos on this DVD are all about 1GB in size and already in NTSC, and I don't want to reprocess them to PAL(LAZY!). So I figure I'll just burn the original MPG's onto DVD-rom. They are also in Full Screen 720x480 format so hopefully he's got a decent video card to display it !
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Check www.videohelp.com - great site for anyone interested in computer video.

This seems to be a dead link. Could you double check the URL please? Sounds like it would be a great help to my winter project.
            Brian

Comment

Hey there Brian,

I checked it out, did a search, and even though it came up in the search results, it was a dead link. I also had a link to VCDhelp.com amongst my favorites, and it too was a dead link!?

Here's a link you may find helpful:
              DVD Demystified, an FAQ and more.

What's your winter project? Just curious!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Thanks TC, looks like interesting reading.

What's your winter project? Just curious!
                The current plan is to attempt to copy the vinyl lp's (remeber these? Still have the prgs you sent me) I have onto CD. And then to take some older VHS tapes that I have and convert them into DVD format. These are old kids tapes that my children watched and, hopefully, the grandkids will enjoy someday.. when(if?) I have grandkids. I'm almost afraid to put the tapes in as I am assuming they are getting brittle with age.
                Brian

Comment

Thanks for the welcome message, I appreciate it and I'd like to say that I've been impressed with this forum; lots of tips and the people seem eager to share info.

As to the dead link - you guys scared me with that so I just went there to check it out. There is a message posted indicationg they will be down for a few days while they change servers. Videohelp .com has a very active forum, user reviews of computer video related equipment and software, and links to freeware & shareware video related software of all types. All in all, I'd highly recommend the site. Take care.

Labrat

Comment

Ah, that's better. I got the "page not found" error when I went there at first. Will have to check back to see when they are finished unpacking after the move.
                    Brian

Comment

There are many new dvd players out there that will play back dvds recorded for any zone and can be configured to playback PAL/NTSC/SECAM or any other conventional video format.
                      1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

RE: videohelp.com

For those interested, I checked www.videohelp.com this morning and they are back up. Take care.

Labrat

Comment

Working...
                        X