No announcement yet.

Do you guys ever park on the sidewalk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys ever park on the sidewalk?

Gotta say....I've never done it. But here lately I've noticed several bikes parked on sidewalks outside of bars and restaraunts. Coincidentally (or not ) , they've all been Harleys. I always look for a regular parking space for my XS, then I walk up to the front door and there's someone's bike sittin' on the sidewalk 10 feet from the front door.

Am I right in thinking that a motorcycle should stay off the sidewalk, or do I need to loosen up and take advantage of my bike's mobility?
    '79 XS11F Standard

Side Walk Parking

I think that the acceptability of parking on side walks would very from community to community. What ever is the acceptable norm where you live.
    I can remember biking in Europe a few years back and in Ireland (Dublin) there were bikes parked every where on side walks. The same in many large cities on the continent. I tried parking on the sidewalk (at that time) in London and got my ass chewed out by a bobby. No ticket but I had to park on the street. Norms change with the time and place. Better check locally with an enforcement officer first before earning-your ticket.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

I think it depends on convention. There are a few "biker bars" back home where that's the norm. They tend to be places where there is enough space for pedestrians to walk two abreast past your bike. Here at school, people tend to get upset when you park on the sidewalk, especially since they're narrow. The kids on their crotch rockets park on the sidewalk at Wal-Mart all the time and then stand there next to them looking 'cool'.

The question I ask myself is, "Where is my bike least likely to get messed with, tipped over, or run into?" Most of the time, it's in a parking spot.

'82 XJ1100J-John
      '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Some places have a designated motorcycle parking area like walmart and miejer as well as BGSU here in BG on a concrete area to keep the kickstands from puncturing holes in the blacktop when it gets really hot out.
        I use a steel plate on the blacktop in front of my house.
        79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
        07 V-star 1100
        Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

I've always been fond of the little marked off triangles at the end of parking rows, so I don't take up a full space for a cage, and still put it to where it doesn't block pedestrian passage!

I would imagine some places(like Hawaii), where real estate is costly and rare, NOT taking up a cage spot would be considered a courtesy!

Hey Bud, when I had my sidestand extended due to my 4" over front forks, I had the guy put an extra large pad on the end of it, helps to spread the pressure out on those sinky tar lots!!!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The bars and restaurants where I've noticed bikes parked on sidewalks were not biker hang-outs. Last night I saw a fairly new Harley parked on the sidewalk near the front door of the local Applebee's restaurant. I just can't bring myself to do it.
            '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

I agree with parking in a space

Last week I was at Home Depot and had to step around a.... Harley that was parked right in front of the door. I later saw a huge 6 ft 4in 300lbs plus biker in leathers shopping. Thought better about saying something snide about his parking.
              "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

I generally park it just like I would a car. If the Harleys are parked on the sidewalk, I may join them. I won't park where I feel I'm in inconvenience to pedestrians.

I say chill out and use common courtesy.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I used to park my bike on the sidewalk at a busy nightclub I used to attend on a semi-regular basis. I quit parking on the side walk after some a..hole pushed my bike over in the bushes denting the tank and breaking a turnsignal off.

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I usually use the parking lot or designated motorcycle spots. The regular exception for me is the Army Surplus store where we get out uniforms. The crown of the road is so steep and the curb is too high that I can't park on the street (the bike would fall over). This is in a part of town that the police don't care where I park anyway.
                    Years ago when I lived in Phoenix I parked on the sidewalk downtown to pay a utility bill. I was way out of any pedestrians way. I was inside about 10 minutes. When I came out I had a parking ticket. Not moving the bike I walked around the corner to pay the ticket. The clerk had no record in her computer of the citation (it was written about 5 min. earlier). I convinced her I wasn't into paying bogus tickets and would she please just accept the money and give me a receipt before I got another ticket.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I park my bike on the sidewalk at Wal-Mart all the time, until mommy gives me a quarter then me and my wee Harley ride ride ride. Then I park it again and come back next week. There it is - another quarter and I am ready to ride ride ride.

Seriously, parking near the front door may discourage certain malcontents from taking liberties with your ride. That is a concern whether you have a $25,000 straight line 200 decibel barge with all sorts of chrome hanging, a $6,000 zip-splat, or a 27 year old dusty, not too noticable fun machine. So I understand wanting to park close to the door. But I don't.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

It's all in the 'Hey, look at me! I ride a harley!' attitude or lack of self esteem these guys have. Everyone can hear them as they arrive and leave. There will be plenty of 'posturing' as we all know they must revup the engines when they park them. Like they say...what's the worst thing that can happen to an h-d rider??? Nobody notices him.
                        It's like the guy who parks his car/truck in two spaces to avoid door dings. Makes me want to key the side of it. If he's so concerened, then he should park a little further ayway, not right up where evryone else is.

Comment

I park as far from the front door as possible. I had two near misses trying to get a good spot.
                          On the XS I was in a normal parking spot, standing by the bike putting my helmet on and a soccer mom in a minivan came tearing into the spot and nearly nailed me. She must have thought she had an empty spot and then she nailed the brakes when she came around and finally saw me. Less than an inch between the van and my tire when she stopped. Driving home I wondered if 1) i had not been standing there putting a bright white Shoei on my head would she have mowed the bike down or if 2) I had already gotten on the bike would she have mowed me down, 3) did she need clean underwear too.
                          My other close call was my stupidity on the royal star. I saw a front row parking spot and instead of just pulling in I got cute and thought I would drive up on the sidewalk so I could turn and park facing out, to avoid the backing out later. The sidewalk was ~4ft wide so I went onto the ~8ft grass strip. When I turned the rear tire slid and my bike started to go down. I saved it but put several days of hurt in my shoulder and lower back. Now I park further out whenever possible and pretend the walking is good excersize and a healthy lifestyle choice.
                          I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

I park on the side walk when there is plenty room for people to walk and have noticed other bikes parking there.

I also like using the lined off areas at the end of parking rows, but this makes me nervous because it is probably illegal as parking on sidewalks.

I hate taking up a full parking spot, but sometimes it is a necessity. I always leave the back end sticking out so oncoming cars can see her in the spot.
                            Jason K.
                            '80 XS1100G
                            '80 XS850LG
                            '96 FZR600

Comment

We're lucky in Melbourne, we can legally park on the footpath (ie sidewalk) providing we don't obstruct foot traffic.

A while ago local council moved to ban bikes on footpaths so every rider in the state occupied every parking spot in the whole city (one bike per bay as per the law) with others riding around ready to take the place of those who had to move due to time restrictions.... they reconsidered....

Where there is a bay convenient to where I want to go I will always choose the bay (I pay the same registration as a car!), but like jaylink I always park at the outer edge for maximum visibility (also in the centre to prevent others squeezing in).

But if after riding past there's nothing close, it's a quick u'ey and up onto the footpath with no guuilt whatsoever.

Courtesy for others, and having an admirable bike usually sooths any sour feelings.

Comment

Working...
                              X