80 Xs11sg Carb Mods Jets ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Xs11sg Carb Mods Jets ?

I have been going through so many threads on various forums that I am getting light headed. I plan to replace the air box with Emgo pods along with replacing the Octypus.
    Currently the carb (BS34 Mikuni) has 110 mains and 42.5 pilots (yes they ARE 110's).
    I need to mail order jets (local bike shop gets 3X price I can get them for on the NET) question is...what is my best bet on jets to get?
    According to the jet FAQ on this site, I need one size up on each. However, I have read so many thngs from various threads, I am not sure this is the best way to go for this bike.
    Any help out there?

Hey there Stan/Sheeres,

There's always help out here!!
    You didn't state whether you're running Stock pipes, aftermarket 4-2 or 4-1's? Yes, my 81SH also had 110's straight across despite what the books say!

Before I found XS11 info heaven, I put 4-1 pipes on mine and ran it that way for years, never burned a piston, never adjusted the idle circuit, plugs had mild color IIRC, living down here at Sea Level. Then it died, did topend with BigBore(doesn't really matter), but went to Indy filters. Plugs were pristine white.

Bike still had plenty of power and full rpm range in both situations, but was concerned about burning new pistons!

So...guide says go up 2 sizes for Indy filters alone, 2 sizes for better pipes alone, or IF combine both but (-1)size.

Since the book says that even at stock they might have been 110/120/120/110 you'd think that it would be safe to go up as far as 120 which is 4 sizes!!! My setup above is only at 117.5 and have nice color, not black. So I would think 115 should be a good size, and you should be able to adjust them with float height, and pilot screw settings to get good color and performance.

I'm not a Carb Guru, just going from limited experience and having read lots of tech requests and replies. YMMV, HTH.

PS, you posted in Chat forum, more for off topic chatter than tech help!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X