Butch Cassidy inscription in a tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butch Cassidy inscription in a tree?

While out hiking with my Dad in beautiful and endless southern Utah near Mt. Dutton, we came across a tree reading:

Carl
    Judy
    Butch
    Cassidy

Was very interesting if nothing else, I have a pic if anyone wants to see.

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Always hoped he'd survived that ambush in So. America.
    '81H
    '77 GS750
    '80 ATC 200
    '79SF [stolen]

Comment

I'll bite- Show me the pic.
      Jason K.
      '80 XS1100G
      '80 XS850LG
      '96 FZR600

Comment

take a look at this

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Not to blow the mystery off of this. That tree would most likely not have been around 75 years ago. It looks like the girth of that tree is not big enough considering 75 + years of growth after getting carved and however many years before it got carved.

Plus I would thing the outside bark of the tree would have broken up the lettering more from 75 years of growth.
          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

That tree definately wasn't around in 1927. Still pretty cool. Who carved the word above Carl's name?
            Chlanna Nan Con Thigibh A So's Gheibh Sibh Feoil

Comment

Haha.... that was my thought, too. Oldest inscriptions I've seen in the area are about 1940, and the trees are much different.

Also, wouldn't the tree have been protected and/or preserved by the National Historic Society or something else....

Did Butch travel with people other than the outlaws?

If he was wanted so much, wouldn't such a clue be risky?

Was the well-traveled trail it was beside around in 1927?

The cool thing is that Circleville, Utah is just miles down the other side of the trail. It is pretty certain that Butch had been in this territory, but highly unlikely in my opinion that those were his inscriptions....

I wanted to play this out a bit and see what others thought, but you guys are too quick....

Not an impossibility, but evidence is obviously too inconclusive.

Yet fascinating stories nonetheless. His childhood home is only about 10 or 15 miles from this tree. His oldest surviving family member was alive in the 90's and claimed Butch had come back to visit her *after* he supposedly lost his life in the famous final gun battle.
              Last edited by Shuriken; 08-17-2004, 11:38 AM.

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Interesting comments on the history of "ButchCassidy" (George Leroy Parker).

In a book written by his sister, "Butch Cassidy my Brother", she hints that he is buried in the Richfield, Utah cemetry under an assumed name. She claims that he left his life of crime and became a law abiding upstanding citizen.

His partner, The Sundance Kid (Longabough), it is said of him that he died in the Utah State Prison going by the name of "Hyrum BeBee". Serving a life sentence for a murder in a Mount Pleasant, Utah saloon fight.

So I've been told. This is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Bob
                Bob Udy

Comment

It looks to me like "Cassidy" could be the first name of one of the people in that group.

Comment

Working...
                  X