Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash And Burn...

Hello Kiddies...

Went for a ride on the "Johnny Yukon" (Black Magic) today...

While sitting at a red light...I see an XS 1100 ride by following a Harley...I then watch the two bikes ride into the K-Mart parking lot accross from me...when they stop the guy on the XS puts down the side stand...and FALLS over! ...he tumbles on the ground...and skins his elbow pretty bad!

So instead of turning left...I ride into the parking lot and say "Selling?" the guy (in between curses) says (something like) MY F#@&*^# legs are too short, for this D#@&%$ bike!

So I ask again..."Selling?" while he's looking at his bleeding elbow, and broken glasses...he replies "why, Are you buying?"

"I've never met an XS that I didn't like"
    (Steve linderman cir-1979)

"Always" was my reply

While he (Ed) and his brother Ace looked at the (beautiful) '79 Xs I was riding...I quickly sized up theirs... ...

What's a Bike like this worth?, they asked...

"Priceless" was my answer
    So what's that make ours worth?

I quickly pointed out that with BOTH sidecovers missing, lot's of rust...half bald tires...and wires taped in the fuse panel...and several other 'shortcomings' I would be hard pressed to go $400.00...

He said "You're Nuts"...do you have CASH?
    Lucky for me my Bank was a block away...
    So I replied "you got a title?"

Lucky for me (again ) they lived about a mile away!

Mo-n-I will bring her home tomorrow...a "BIG RED" Yamaha...ALL of my OWN!! WOW!

Molly says "you're NUTS"...I asked her if she knew Ace or his brother Ed

"I'll gas up my hot rod stoker...we'll get hotter than a poker"
    " we'll set aside a little time to fix a flat or two, my tires and tubes are doin fine...but the air is showing through"

(Hank Williams Cir-1940)
    MO-N-STEVE
    '79 SF "MO's Missile"
    '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
    '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
    '80 SG "The BEAST"
    '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
    '81 SH "The NEW KID"
    '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Cool...
    I'm kinda nuts that way too.... my ex said I collect old junk.
    I like old junk like that.... :P
    Congrats and lotsa luck with the new addition to the stable.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

The Tomato Can...

Hey Ya'll...

Went Saturday morning to bring home the "Tomato can" I wanted to go to the Gun Show...

So I needed a "volunteer" (victim) to ride the 'Tomato can" home the only person around here (besides me) who is crazy (dumb) enough to ride an Un-tested XS 1100 around...is my life-bond-pair-partner (AKA SWMBO)

So when we arrived at the place...there it was...(some of you guys have seen the 'Missile') so I had "prepared" Molly for this

And Ed said (to Molly) "I figured you'd have to be a tall girl"
      (remember HE fell off the day before)

So she looked at the "Tomato can" and said "are you sure about this?"

With both side covers gone...lotsa' rust...bent front fender...scruffy tires...and a general look of 'neglect'...

I said "what's to worry about?"
      "as long as the engine runs...just aim for home"

So I followed her into town...and at the intersection that she would turn at to go home...I waved bye-bye...and went on to the Gun Show

When I got home... ...I 'got the report'...
      'clutch needs adjusting..the back brakes are crap... the front end dives when you apply the front brake...the trannie 'jumps' out of second if you rest your toes on the shifter...it sputters below 4K...the front tire needs air, and the side stand is bent up under the exhaust... "

So I asked "how did you make it home?
      "I kept it over 4k...didn't use the brakes...and shifted without the clutch whenever possible...(that's MY Girl )

She also said "when she 'cleans out'...it goes like HECK!"
      Those '79s are like that...

So far I've changed the shocks, front fender and mirrors...I put two 'old' sidecovers on her... gave her a bath...I 'discovered' two VERY interesting items (Stock?) on the bike...I will ask you guys for your opinion on them.

I rode her down the street...and Mo 'hit it on the head'...if you keep your foot off the shifter...she doesn't jump second...if you 'clean her out' (over 4K) she FLIES!...doesn't stop so good...and the forks need rebuilding...and the side stand is so bent...it's no wonder Ed kept falling off...when you (finally) get the sidestand out...and lean her over...she'll take another (un-X-pected 4 inch lean!)

And any of youse that have been to ebay lately...$400.00 wasn't so bad!
      For an old Tomato can!

"and we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real world far behind"
      (from the song :Safety Dance Cir-1985)
      MO-N-STEVE
      '79 SF "MO's Missile"
      '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
      '80 SG "The BEAST"
      '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
      '81 SH "The NEW KID"

Comment

I 'discovered' two VERY interesting items (Stock?) on the bike
        OK you got my interest what are they?
        There's always a way, figure it out.
        78XS11E

Comment

Strange Items

Hi,
          Been busy and haven't had the chance to get back to y'all on the 'wierd' stuff I found on the 'Tomato Can'

Since I haven't mastered the proceedure to have photos 'magically' appear here (like you smart guys)
          You'll have to let me send them to you via email.

What I found is a 'strange' headlight mounting 'system' and a front fender that is totally 'unlike' any I've ever seen!
          And believe me...I've seen plenty.

The headlight 'bracket' doen't use 'ears' like all others...and it mounts in the two holes that attach the gauges to the upper triple tree.
          It is chrome...and utilizes the 'stock' adjuster!
          Never seen that before...

And the 'weird' thing is...it does not 'do' anything special...and is not for adding a fairing (unless it's a 1/4 clip?)
          And most of those use the blinkers for attachment points.

The front fender has what appears to be a 'brace' built in to it...it is on the inside of the fender...and is without a doubt part of the 'original' fender!

The 'brace' extends from the mounting holes on one side and continues over to the mounting bolts on the other...and extends both back and forwards (sorta like an X) along the fender (underneath) about 5 or so inches!

You cannot 'flex' this fender like ALL the others I've seen...I checked ALL the other fenders here (including the XS 850) and NONE were like this one!

It 'matches' all the other fenders in outward appearance...it's only 'difference' is the 'brace' (or gusseting) underneath!

Don't know...and don't pretend to know!
          It's just the way I 'found' it!

"I was stumbling through the parking lot of an invisible 7-11"
          (ZZ Top cir-1984)
          MO-N-STEVE
          '79 SF "MO's Missile"
          '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
          '80 SG "The BEAST"
          '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
          '81 SH "The NEW KID"