Bozeman Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bozeman Montana

First off, a very large and sincere thank you to Rob Mills - Rockjok- and his ever present buddy Hoover, for hosting this event in the bad lands of Big Sky Country. The amount of thought, planning and organizing this event must have been huge. The scenic , twisty and very good routes with "lookout" stops were excellent. Once again, thanks Rob. You certainly surprised everyone with your "piece de resistance" of about a 90lb. roast pig on Saturday night. WOW!

It was also a pleasure to finally meet the "legendary" Tkat and Myra. Their ability to push on, squeezing every thing possible out of life evey day in face of major serious physical problems is an example for all of us. Push on smiling with only minor bitches about border bro's and other of life's mishaps was a good example as well.

Likely, much to Tkat's chagrin (this is a personal observation) riding 10 10ths all the time may be exhilarating and exciting but those that do, sooner or later are going to end up with a bent bike and a broken up body. A body that screams at the brain every time you move; "what have you done to me?" Sorry but I think I will chicken out with wide chicken strips on my tires and more miles on my odometer. As I said, this a personal observation which I do not always follow but should.

Beechfront! who traveled 1100 miles non stop to get to Bozeman. WOW! I guess you didn't get your front brakes fixed, couldn't stop and were forced to push on through. That is an iron butt qualifier if ever. 1100 plus miles on a special had to be one sore ass ride. Congratulations. It was good to finally meet the face behind the nom de plume of beechfront.

The choice of a KOA campsite worked out well in my opinion. Everything we needed was there. I enjoyed our own area and the washrooms, showers etc. were well cared for and kept clean. I have stayed in a lot of campsites over the years that could not hold a candle to the Bozeman KOA. Particularly in Europe where some on the sites I was in in Germany and Spain and you would shudder on entering their wash rooms.

I will likely forget some one, sorry names are not my fortia but it was good to meet for the first time, XS'ers, Jerry Fields who shared his campsite with me, Lanny the Lizzard who turned out to be not at all what I expected (this was a good thing), James Dille on a fancy FJR WOW!, Larry and Kelly Hotz, Sid Hansen, Wayne with his HD and matching HD pony tail, Indy Rick who looked right at home on Rob's Midnight Special Also to get reacquainted with Denny Z, Steve and Molly Linderman (definite XS' ers who own a small fleet of XS's), Don Hughes down from Edmonton, Ken and Sheila Talbot also from BC. If memory serves me right I saw license plates from, Nebraska, Texas, California, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Kansas, BC, Alberta and Montana. It was a good representative example of XS'ers from all over.

And now for Ratbyk, as we rolled into the driveway at 7.10 pm Monday night she ticked over with a very fresh 3810 more kilometers than she had left with the previous Wednesday. The only "service" type thing I did to her on the whole trip (besides pouring a never ending stream of gasoline into her) was to add one liter of Castrol GTX 20-50 into her for the trip home. Even that put it slightly over full. On checking it this morning the oil level is at the bottom of the window and it is time for an oil and filter change. Thanks to all of the very knowledgeable, frank and good advice from the XS site that I was able to apply to the Rat that enabled such fantastic reliability to a 26 year old work horse. This is a great site!

Oh, almost forgot, thanks again Rob for the "Official" Red-Green braces that now adore my leather M/C pants. Tee Hee, they look good.

I will try and get some pictures posted in the next few days when the "buzz" of a long M/C trip finally wears off.

Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Sounds like a great time. Wish I could have been there.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Sounds like a good time. Someday I'd like to make it.

Comment

COOL

I won't miss the next one ,Sounds like an XS ellent time.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I'm going to add a bit to Ratbyk's observations. It was a great rally, well organized, good food, outstanding trips and scenery, excellent company. Rob did an outstanding job!

For the first time I can recall, we had no breakdowns, flat tires, accidents, or bad weather (it did sprinkle on us a few times) making this one of the smoothest rallys I've attended.

Saturday's 'big ride' was made up of 17 bikes, 15 of them Yamahas plus 1 Harley and Tkat's Gold Wing. Of the Yamahas, we had 2 Ventures and 1 FJR. I had the sole XJ, so the rest of the pack was made up of XS 11s, mostly Specials but a few Standards as well. Two side cars, Rob's rig (with Hoover the dog as passenger) and Tkat's hack, with Myra as passenger.

Sunday's ride over Beartooth Pass and through Yellowstone was made by 7 bikes. Windy and some rain at the top of the pass, but the ride through the park was excellent!

Shelia Tiernan (?) won Best Bike by a vote of attendees. Her "Purple Reign" is a good looking Standard. Along those lines, we had 5 women at this rally, a pretty good percentage.

Gas prices ranged from a low of $1.759 at Rock Springs to $2.309 at the north entrance of Yellowstone Park. (85 octane)

I've downloaded my digital photos, will put up some of them later this week.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I too arrived safely at home yesterday (Tuesday). I am very sore and tired but elated over the trip.
            It was great to meet old friends and make new ones.
            Rob went way beyond the necessary to host a rally. His planning and foresight was fantastic. How he planned and kept every thing on track was incredible.
            Every thing Ken and Jerry said is the way I saw it.
            Thank you Rob.
            Will get that cd with photos to you as soon as I can find the energy to edit them and burn one for you.
            Don Hughes
            Ex-1978 E
            Ex-1985 Yamaha Venture Royale
            1991 Yamaha Venture Royale
            1990 Honda Goldwing
            Edmonton

Comment

Well now I am really bummed that I could not make it. I'm glad that those that did had a great time, but I wanted to be there.....next year for sure! My wifes recent hip surgery meant no more than short trips for me for a few weeks, but that's cool. All I gotta do is help her, she had the hard part. I hope someone gets a photo site up so we can all partake. Has anyone ever put a rally together in the Black Hills of S.D.? That might be a good location next year.
              Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

05 Rally

2fast, I think someone is working on a rally at Laguna Seca for the World Super Bike Race.
                Of course if you want the Black Hills go for it. Put one together, people will come.
                Ken/Sooke
                78E Ratbyk
                82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

In 2002 Bob Garcia organized a rally based out of Spearfish, South Dakota. Went off well. We did the park, headed over to Devil's Tower, stopped at Crazy Horse monument. Had a good time. Even stopped at Sturgis to buy off-season trinkets like T-shirts and other goodies. Not a bad area of the country to have a rally!
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

camp pics

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/xs11plus/

This is the only place I had at this time to post 52 pics, 11.6 mb.
                    Sign up, click photos on the left, ltl Bozeman, click on a photo and click on full size. More to come also from fifi's analog camera taken from the Lizard Lounger of the group ahead on the road.
                    Kinda neat.....;-)
                    ltl

Comment

Bozeman Pictures

More shots from Bozeman.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4285991385

Ken/Sooke
                      78E Ratbyk
                      82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

More photos from Bozeman

Chef Larry "LoHo" at the grill

Denny "dennyz", Lanny "LTL", James, Cherry

Group Photo

Hoover in the sidecar waiting to go

James

Jerry, Don, and Ken "Ratbyk"

Jerry

John

Larry "LoHo" and Kelly

Larry "LoHo", Wayne, Kelly, and Sid "Skids"

Lanny "LTL" and Cherry

Molly "Mo 'n Steve"

Supper!

Ken "Ratbyk"

Rick "Indy" and Terri

Rob "Rockjok" and Jerry

Steve "Mo 'n Steve"

Tkat and Myra

Wayne, Sid, Kelly

The XSive Ladies!
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Bozeman

Great shots Ken. Got anymore? We are never satisfied being XSxcessives by nature.
                          Ken/Sooke
                          78E Ratbyk
                          82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

I've got individual shots of all the bikes that were on Saturday's ride, a couple more around Camp, and a few scenery shots. The original images are all 2848x2136 pixels, so they are much bigger and sharper than the 640x480 that I've posted here. I'll post the bikes next. If there's any interest, I could post some of the full-size images too if anybody wants to download the big ones.

Rockjok - I'll be burning them onto a CD for you as you asked. Thanks for being such a great host!
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

Bozeman Pics
                              DZ
                              Vyger, 'F'
                              "The Special", 'SF'
                              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                              X