Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacket / protective clothing

any recommendations?

I am looking at the firstgear magnum. local shop has it for $200 - found it online for $179.

any thoughts?

does anybody know of a good (cheap) source for clothing online?

Price Comparisons

Print the on line quote or asking price. Take it with you to your local shop and use as a negotiating point. Local dealer will likely match. Always best to spend your money locally to keep the guy in business. You never know when you will have to rely on him in an emergency.
    Even if you have to spend a few dollars more to get locally you get it immediately, can check it over visually in your own hands before paying for. Have a real live person in front of you to question, get advice etc.
    You don't have to go through the hassle of trying to return something through the mail. Quite often when you order something on line or mail order the supplier does not have your item in stock. They have your money/credit card charge and can dance you around for a long time before finally supplying. Also many times after the on-line supplier after they have gotten your money they will go bankrupt. Lots of luck trying to get your money back ever!
    I always give my local merchant a chance at it whatever I'm purchasing. I want him around in the future.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

web site

Try:

www.newenough.com
      Walt
      80 XS11s - "Landshark"
      79 XS11s
      03 Valkyrie
      80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
      78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
      81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

JOE ROCKET

is joe rocket clothing any good?

i am looking at buying a ballistic 4.0 jacket/pant set.

it's either that or the firstgear magnum jacket & HT pants.

joe rocket is a little cheaper.

Comment

I'm too thick to wear my Langlitz jacket any more so I bought an El Cheepo leather jacket off eBay for around $40 a bit more than a year ago. If you're looking for something cheap, eBay is flooded with them but be sure and check the shipping rate before you buy.

I'm still planning to get back into my Langlitz jacket but not anytime soon. (

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I know of several guys who wear Joe Rocket stuff, and they seem pleased with it. I run TourMaster armored jacket/pants. Cost was $260.00 for both items ($140 jacket, $120 pants), new but was a model year closeout. Armor is removeable, jacket is vented and has a zip-in liner for cold-weather use. Pants are armored, full-length zippered sides, but not vented. I ride with zipper near hip down 6 - 8 inches to get some extra air flow. Less maintenance than leathers. At least one guy on this list went down wearing the same gear, and can speak for the protection offered.

Not as good-looking as the Joe Rocket stuff, Tourmaster is more traditional in styling, but price is good, suit is comfortable, and offers excellent protection.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I just bought a First Gear Mesh-tex II jacket, with removeable liner, and really like it. I bought it from imotorcyclestore.com and paid $125.95 with free shipping and no tax.
              Bill Murrin
              Nashville, TN
              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

I wear the Joe Rocket "Phoenix" mesh pants and jacket year-round (110 summer, 28 winter). A habit I have from bicycling is "layering". In this case the armored jacket/pants is the protective layer. In winter I usually put a windbreaker over the jacket and I stay nice and warm going to work, it's also my water layer (Pacifico fairing and lowers work great).
                I've heard good things about the Phoenix jacket and pants but the concensus on the Phoenix gloves is not so good. Apparently they shread rather easily. I don't know from experience and I don't want to find out.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

the phoenix looks good - but only has a waterproof inner liner, and i need something that's 100% waterproof.

right now i am leaning towards the firstgear trekker model - it is being phased out of their product line and I'm finding some good deals.

the firstgear magnum does not fit me. I need a tall size and they do not offer them for the magnum. kilimanjaro coats are AWESOME but not with a pricetag of $300.

thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X