Need Canada Travel Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Canada Travel Help

if anyone can give me some tips i would really appreciate it.

i am planning a trip into canada but don't know anything about where i might be going. i usually like to do most of my trip planning 'AS I GO' but getting that far away from home in unfamiliar territory i think i should plan at least a little bit.

right now i have a very vague idea of where i want to go. am going to travel up I-29 into Winnepeg. from there i would like to keep going north on hwy 6 along lake winnepeg. my goal is to make it to churchill and maybe farther if possible .

i was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this area?

what can i expect the weather to be like in early-mid august?

from the small map i have it looks as if there are going to be at least a couple stretches of 110+ miles between towns - which is about the max distance on a tank for my special (which would give me an excuse to rig up some kind of xtra gas tank ....

would also be nice to know what the roads are like up there. my bike does not do dirt/gravel roads.

can anyone think of a reason this trip would not be do-able?

Summer Travel

Beechfront, go on line, search out Manitoba travel. You should be able to find lots of info on your proposed trip. I think you want a Kawasaki 650 dual purpose for the road to Churchill. It must be gravel most of the way. You will also want lots of bug off and a complete overhead bug net in the far north in Aug.
    Instead of going north that far, head west into the Alberta foot hills and then on in to BC. The best motorcycle roads in North America are BC and Washington State.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

thanks for the tip - that manitoba travel sight is great.

I think i am going to go north up along lake winnepeg. i will probalby just stop when i get to gravel. if i can figure out a way to go farther, great.

i want to find a place to camp/fish for a couple of days.

Comment

OK this is getting interesting

not sure if anyone here really cares...

but after some internet research i've found:

if i could somehow make the 190 miles of gravel from thompson to gillam - i could take a train from gillam to churchill for $60. If i were stupid enough to try this it would probably take me an entire day.

or I could take train from Thompson to Churchill for $109.

Comment

Churchill Manitoba

If you come across a pile of bear Pooh up there and it is full of berries it is black bear. If it has some bells and whistles in it and smells like bear spray it is polar bear. Lots of polar bears in the Churchill area. They usually start wondering into town late Aug. early Sept.
          Be careful camping in that area and make sure you have high test bug spray.
          Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
          X