NEW to XS-XJ, Question about new XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW to XS-XJ, Question about new XS11

Hello Everyone here, I am a new owner of a 78 XS 1100E, I presume. I say this because while inspecting the bike, I noticed that the speedometer goes to 85 only, and I read that the initial XS1100 standard made in 1978 came with a 0-160 MPH speedometer. I have not picked the bike up yet, and very anxious to go riding, but ............the bike has been sitting in a very nice garage for 2 years, and although in decent shape, I imagine it needs some work to make it "tour-able". This bike has a windjammer fairing, which I would like to remove (not in good shape) and touring cases on the sides, these are not in great shape, but useable........The bike starts right up, but is cold hearted, and initally pops, and runs rugged,( probably due to old gas in the tank, wouldn't help it) but smooths considerably. Bike has only 9148 original miles, and was owned by a wealthy man who got tired of it and stored it alot. Rear calipers, I am told are good but need to be cleaned, carbs were done two years ago, but I believe need to be gone over totally. bike was dropped, and could possibly have bent front forks/tubes, I am not sure of this, but I did drive the bike around the neighborhood, and it did not appear to me, to be bad......bike had no power to speak of, it eventually got up and moved up to the 80 mph mark, but disappointed me, to say the least......now you must understand. for the last 2 and a 1/2 years I drove an incredible ,virginal HD Vrod, so I do not know if I am expecting too much, driving this older bike, but I expected a lot more power from this big engine then what I got. Please tell me, it will get better!!!!!!! I am having this bike brought to a shop for a tune-up/ cleaning/ inspection,etc. and I am hoping to see better things ......I am hoping it just needs a good spring cleaning, and replacement of parts and tune up.............I appreciate being told about this site, as it appears very informative.....It was cool to see that, in its day, this bike was the fastest thing on the road......I am hoping to experience this thrill.......Please tell me its so!!
    Bobby
    80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
    HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

While sitting in a chair, tilt your head back, and watch the wall behind you, instantly become a ceiling....

Yes. I believe that it is so. I can say that when you get everything cleaned up and "properly" tuned, you will not be dissapointed. Be aware though the XS had a problem with 2nd gear. It will also take a little getting used to how it shifts. These are pretty tough bikes that will give the newer bike a run for their money. Post some pics and share the moment so we all can ooooo and aahhh over another XS on the road.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

welcome

welcome aboard.First off i haven't driven a v-rod so i don't know its charictoristics.But i do own a 1982 XJ 1100.(after the XS'S) Mine has 49,000 miles on it and wheelies are still VERY possible.Pulls like a mad man from about 2750 rpms till well over 9,000 rpms.Yet very docile in traffic.I've also not raced a v-rod,but i can pull away from virtualy any harley stock,and hds with cams carbs and exhaust installed on them. I have a bud with a 78 XS and his also is very fast. Just keep in mind theese bikes are 20+ years old and do require a little more than average upkeep. Just read away ,and ask questions. Most everyone on this site is more than happy to help a guy out. We even have a few guru's of our own. (both electrical& mechanical), So be rest assured your at the right place to get your scooter running proper.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
      X