Attempted to get to picton.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted to get to picton.

Saturday was a beautiful day, Andrea and i were heading into Picton for a mini vacation and dinner with some people from the xs11.com forum. I left work early and packed my tankbag with a change of clothes some maps and my trusty palm. (which has already eaten this entry once). I gassed up bluebell my 79 yamaha xs11 and picked her up at home she had packed everything she would need for 3 weeks into a backpack for a 1 day trip. Which turns out to be a good idea, i think that is how ill pack from now on.

We had to go get a pair of gloves for her in case we ever had to "get off" the bike as it was moving. Once that job was done we headed off on the eastbound 401 to put some miles between us and the stress of work and family in Oshawa.

The weather was perfect not a cloud in the sky and not overly hot when riding in leather gear (which is something i always try to do.). Belle was running great and the ride was smooth and fast as it always is. About an hour into our ride i noticed there was a lot of squirming going on behind me so when i saw the exit for Brighton I took it figuring a walk, water and smoke would get us going again.

The icetea we had was cold and refreshing and I gassed the bike up since we were here. Headed north on 30 back to the 401 east.

Is there a sound worse then a transmission eating itself?

Is there anything worse then pushing a motorcycle UP HILL off an onramp going the wrong way?

I will say bikers are the friendliest people around! Lots of them pulled over to ask if we needed help. Harleys, sportbikes you name it. Unfortunately a new trend seems to be taking off your passenger pegs! Everyone who had passenger pegs had a passenger everyone else had Just removed them.

I managed to push belle to a abended parking lot across from a abended coffee shop to cool things off (myself included) and think things through. I actually had cellphone coverage due to the 401 being so close so called hamjams room but of course they were all riding. I called the tip o the bay and managed to cancel our room without paying for it. At this point we sat down in the shade to drink a bottle of warm water and figure out what to do next.

I called around and found a towtruck company who said they would get us home for $150. I booked the truck and we waited. He got there and told me the new price of $350. (this is a game the bastards play around here) I decided to cut my losses and sold my baby to him for a ride into brighton. we were both hot as hell sweating like pigs and hungry after waiting for a few hours in the sun.

Is there anything worse then selling your bike for 5 ride into the closest town?

We lugged all our things into the closest a/c restaurant I could find and drank a couple glasses of icewater a couple of beers and ate a big dinner. All this time i had been phoning everyone i could think of for a ride home and no one answered or all told me to piss off. (time for new friends) The nice couple that owned the restaurant told us of a clean motel we could walk to so we grabbed our stuff which i'm sure weigh over a thousand pounds and started the 30 min walk to the Presquile beach motel.

The motel was an old roadside one that advertised free morning coffee and a/c. the rates were good and the room was spotless clean. Not to mention the owners were nice! Though i cant find a beach anywhere. After a nice shower i walked over to the payphone and got ahold of my friend who was watching my dog. I gave him the news and he is going to drive my van up to get us.

On the walk up here we noticed a lot of homes for sale and i think i know why! The trains run every 20 mins and hoot their horns the entire way through town.

As i write this i'm drinking a free cup of instant coffee and wishing i had brought running shoes due to the huge ache in my feet i cant walk 30 mins for breakfast so i wait for my ride.

Fu**ing tow truck drivers.
    1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Got an old glass bottle, a rag and some gas? How much deductable do think he has on his insurance? Does the sum bich even have insurance? Hmmm...

Comment

Sorry to hear about your misfortune... I know the tow truck drivers are on about the same level as the cab drivers in that city, complete @$$holes.

Not to try and throw salt in your wounds, but I know of a primo Xs for sale here. Owner crossed over to the dark side and bought a Harley.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

I bought a road sofa yesterday... Found a real nice 1986 Yamaha Venture. Next year or two I'll start looking for another XS though.

Comment

Gonna reply to myself.

Went for a short 4 hour ride last night after work on the Venture. Couple of things I noticed.

1) The XS11 is sooooo smooth.
          2) The XS11 is sooooo quiet.
          3) The XS11 is sooooo fast.
          4) The XS11 is sooooo easy to throw around.
          5) The XS11 is sooooo easy to stop.

I guess the XS11 really is the worlds best! The only thing about the venture I like more is the seat, radio, gas milliage.

Comment

Hey T1ny,

Did you get the name of that Tow Trucker, so that "IF" he shows up here asking for help, or we see his name on Ebay parting it out, that we won't patronize him, then maybe he'd even let you get it back!!??
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

No I didn't get it, just know him as "Phill" But if you see any body parts on ebay the whole bike was airbrushed with panther heads, canadian flags and such so it was pretty much a one of a kind paint job.

But if he needs help I think we should give it to him, he's not a bad guy he just got lucky last saturday that's the way I look at it.

Comment

Working...
              X