Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Site Questions

Hello All,
    So, as the title infers, I have some stupid questions regarding this freaking awesome website. To date, once I go through the log-in back and forth, I have had no problems accessing any pages, threads, posts, etc... (Except the XS11.org link.) One of the last things I want to see is not seeing this website on the screen of my laptop.
    1. I read a statement saying the site was slowly but surely dying. What factors determine this?
    2. Do the number of member log-ins and the length of time they stay on affect availability of the site?
    3. Do the number of guest views help the site to stay accessible?
    4. Where is the site served from, someones dedicated personal computer, or other device? The ever-imposing cloud?
    5. Most importantly, is there anything I can do to help this site remain as it is? Please bear in mind I'm on a 2007 Gateway laptop using Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. (Damn dude, can you say dinosaur?) Yeah, I'm old, and haven't embraced technology to the extent of so many others.

I'm sorry for having to ask these questions, but I just don't know. I don't lack the capability of understanding, I just don't have the information. Any info anyone can provide to aid in my quest for knowledge would be greatly appreciated, and maybe others would also pick up on what they might do to help, as well. It would be an absolute shame to lose such a valuable resource for those of us still loving and riding and fixing our XS11's.

Best Regards

-Jon-
    1981 XS1100LH MNS #103 ("Dark Side")
    Yamaha "Mini Cruiser" Windscreen, K & N filters, Iridium Plugs, ATK Fork Brace, LED T.S. Conversion, Bridgestone S11 Spitfires.
    Otherwise all original, definitely a Survivor.
    Previous:
    1981 XS850LH MNS (R.I.P. 1983), 1982 XJ650 SECA TURBO, 1983 XJ650 SECA TURBO
    Cage:
    2K2 TB

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak."

Originally posted by Dudenatz View Post
    Hello All,
    So, as the title infers, I have some stupid questions regarding this freaking awesome website. To date, once I go through the log-in back and forth, I have had no problems accessing any pages, threads, posts, etc... (Except the XS11.org link.) One of the last things I want to see is not seeing this website on the screen of my laptop.
    1. I read a statement saying the site was slowly but surely dying. What factors determine this?
    2. Do the number of member log-ins and the length of time they stay on affect availability of the site?
    3. Do the number of guest views help the site to stay accessible?
    4. Where is the site served from, someones dedicated personal computer, or other device? The ever-imposing cloud?
    5. Most importantly, is there anything I can do to help this site remain as it is? Please bear in mind I'm on a 2007 Gateway laptop using Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. (Damn dude, can you say dinosaur?) Yeah, I'm old, and haven't embraced technology to the extent of so many others.

I'm sorry for having to ask these questions, but I just don't know. I don't lack the capability of understanding, I just don't have the information. Any info anyone can provide to aid in my quest for knowledge would be greatly appreciated, and maybe others would also pick up on what they might do to help, as well. It would be an absolute shame to lose such a valuable resource for those of us still loving and riding and fixing our XS11's.

Best Regards

Jon,
    Goes something like this. Site runs on vBulletin 3.7.3 which is totally obsolete. The current version of vBulletin is 5.5.5

Even vBulletin v4 is no longer supported. The upgrades to the current version requires a two step upgrade from a v3 to a v4 to the current supported platform. So it gets very complicated.

We members have contributed $$ but the person that would be doing the upgrades is not available due to a personal family situation. So nobody to do the upgrades. Plus doing the upgrades will likely drive some hardware and server issues along the way.

So its complicated. A time pit for somebody who attempts it. And it's not easy if things start to blow up.

That's the 30,000 ft overview. Has nothing to do with user count.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
      Jon,
      Goes something like this. Site runs on vBulletin 3.7.3 which is totally obsolete. The current version of vBulletin is 5.5.5

Even vBulletin v4 is no longer supported. The upgrades to the current version requires a two step upgrade from a v3 to a v4 to the current supported platform. So it gets very complicated.

We members have contributed $$ but the person that would be doing the upgrades is not available due to a personal family situation. So nobody to do the upgrades. Plus doing the upgrades will likely drive some hardware and server issues along the way.

So its complicated. A time pit for somebody who attempts it. And it's not easy if things start to blow up.

That's the 30,000 ft overview. Has nothing to do with user count.

Jeff
      Jeff,
      Thank you, very much. I understand now. I had previously learned that the Admin was addressing matters much closer to the heart than maintaining software updates and hardware upgrades, and rightfully so, but didn't realize the level of involvement for him. I guess from the more casual user you don't see the real sacrifice than some people make to put this site together and keep it running for the rest of us. Kudos to TC. He stepped up for me big-time when I wanted to make my own S.O.F.A., providing all the dimensions and specs I would need, and guidance as well. Helping a total stranger like me on that level is pretty much unheard of these days. I can only pray that his situation reaches a most favorable outcome, in it's own time.

I also understand that the 30,000 ft. view suits me just fine, on this one. I would be willing pitch in financially, should the need arise, I would just need to know how to go about it. I'm blue collar, but this site and it's overseers deserve all the support I can muster in that respect. I actually have come into a lot of new (read: used once) mid-gear and final drive filler plugs, with o-rings, and plan on providing members with two free (only postage, and as long as they last), once I have determined the thread pitch and diameter to be correct. They do have a layer of paint on them that would need to be removed, but I can pick it off with my fingernail, so that's probably not going to be an issue. I know a lot of folks have stripped hex sockets in theirs, so maybe I can return his favor by paying it forward, so to speak. Think I'll bump that one up some on the to-do list.

I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me gain a better understanding of the situation.

Best Regards
      Last edited by Dudenatz; 12-15-2019, 09:53 PM. Reason: Technical wording

-Jon-
      Yamaha "Mini Cruiser" Windscreen, K & N filters, Iridium Plugs, ATK Fork Brace, LED T.S. Conversion, Bridgestone S11 Spitfires.
      Previous:
      Cage:
      2K2 TB

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak."

Comment

There is no way for new members to join to gain help. They have to go to Facebook instead. Pictures are difficult to post here. Other than that, its just great. At least all the technical information hasn't been lost (yet).
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          There is no way for new members to join to gain help. They have to go to Facebook instead. Pictures are difficult to post here. Other than that, its just great. At least all the technical information hasn't been lost (yet).
          I see. Not being able to join new members sucks, pictures save words, and I now avoid Facebook like the plague. It's not for me.

Having the tech info available is a fact for which I am eternally grateful. It's my go-to resource when I need knowledge about my XS. It'd be such a shame to lose it.

Regards

-Jon-
          Previous:
          Cage:
          2K2 TB

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Luckily this site is on Autopilot...but with no Administrator and just a couple of moderators..and a listless owner this site cannot grow... As Jeff already said in finer detail..vBulletin that this site runs on is so antiquated that it cannot be updated to a modern operating software...and with the past 18 yrs of technical know how here..that would be a terrible thing to lose...
            So yeah we're still here...
            Last edited by madmax-im; 12-16-2019, 03:24 AM.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Is the a Facebook page?

Is this group site on A Facebook page?
              79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by dolphans1 View Post
                Is this group site on A Facebook page?

IMHO, I'd call it a NO

There are various 11 content FB sites but it is very fragmented.
                Some folks on here participate in some FB sites but not others.
                Plus some active people on 11.com don't use FB at all.

Jeff
                Last edited by JeffH; 03-03-2020, 07:10 AM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                X