Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In with the "In" crowd

Hey folks,

I just completed the purchase of my 79 SF which I have dubbed "The Breeze". I have been lurking here for almost a year researching and learing about her as I have been trying to make a deal on the bike. Well the deal is done and I am happy to report that She runs like a bat out of hell. She has about 18k miles on her and is in great shape though in need of side covers and carb-boots (on their way). Here's a little entertainment for ya. After I bought it and put it in the shop, I spent about 3 days polishing the chrome, removing rough spots and re-painting the frame, changing the oil, checking timing, etc. My brother-in-law and his kid also love vintage bikes and came over on their bikes for a celebratory "cruise around town". Well, another friend of ours just so happened to come by as we were rolling out of the garage, he wanted to show us his new Harley. It is nice and though I don't remember the model number I do know he kept saying it had an 88 c.i. motor. After we ogled his new bike awhile and congrats are passed out, we roll out the XS. Harley guy starts laughing and calling it an ancient boat anchor. My brother-in-law whispers to me, "You know what to do don't ya?" I gave him the thumbs-up and we all preceded out of the drive way. As we were rolling through the streets of town Harley keeps pointing at my engine and laughing, putting his hand to his ear as if he can't hear it running. As soon as we leave the city limits, and the road is deserted, my nephew, riding a nice Suzuki GS500L pulls up by Harley boy and pops his front wheel up and takes off. Of course everyone in the county heard the Harley blast of exhaust, and they were off. The little Suzuki was actually holding him off for quite a while, I just stayed a few lengths back and enjoyed the show. As it looked as the Hog was gaining on the Suzuki, I dropped a gear, flicked my wrist, registered 7.5K R's and then shifted gears right as I was going by the Pig, er I mean Hog. He looked ridiculous leaning down over his handle bars (like that was going to help) as he rapidly turned into a speck in my rear view mirrors. He went home a different way, and for some reason we didn't get to talk to him after the incident. It is going to be a fun summer.

I'll get some pics of "The Breeze" up soon. Looking forward to your commraderie(sp?) and tech advice.

Keith
    They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Life begins at 7500RPM. Ain't life grand?

Comment

MIYAMI vs HARLEY

I kinda had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. A buddy just bought a brand new sportster sport, ( the one with two plugs per cyl. ) We hit a long deserted piece of road in the badlands and he opened it up to see what she would do. He topped out at around 120 according to my speedo, Then I went around him at around 135. He said "ya, that Yami moves pretty good but I'll take you on the short run".. O.K. He didn't stand a chanch. He no longer owns that harley. I guess he was a little dissapointed that my $500.00 ugly dinosaur whipped his $12,000.00 sporty. I don't run it like that all the time, *ell, I'd be dead if I did but their is always a time and a place for proving that the old dinosaur can hold her own
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Congrats on your acquisition! You will not be disappointed as you have already found out.

Where'd you get your carb intake boots? I'll be needing replacements soon. TIA

Comment

A pic of my Two Rivers, WI. E-Bay bike is in the road and smoking every Harley around. Merriam Cycle Helped me with parts and everything. Thanks Merriam Cycle. I found the love of my life.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Hey guys, those are some sweet rides and great stories, keep 'em coming JohnSG, the boots are coming from partsnmore.com. I ordered them this morning(Sunday) so I'm hoping I don't get an e-mail tommorow morning saying "sorry we are all out of those and in fact there are no more in the entire world .
            They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

Thanks Materi, I just ordered a set of carb boots too. Hope you're right about having them in stock.

Comment

No problem with the carb boots. You can still get em from Yamaha if all else fails. Zanotti gives a pretty good internet sales discount that makes them closer to the price of aftermarket. It's surpriseing how much you can still get from Yamaha for these bikes. You need to go to the Yamaha website that has all the parts catalogs, get your part#s and email Zanotti. Check out the links section for the urls.

As far as the Harleys, I have one and you'd have to be nuts to think they will outrun one of these bikes. I suppose if you wanted to spend the money it could be done. I have a buddy thats an engine builder and he built himself up an old FXR. He built a 145inch stroker motor for it with mostly S&S stuff. Runs low 10s / high 9s in the 1/4 mile. He mostly races it but does run it on the street ocasionally. He also gets a kick out of blowing past the new Harleys with his old FXR.
                Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
                2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

HAHAHAH!!

I can soooo relate to that!
                    SWMBO"s family are Hardly freaks. Her Lil Bro has a new(almost) Hardly he spent Mega bucks on....THEN spent MEGA...MEGA bucks on with all the chrome..new cams..blah blah blah...
                    HE got to braggin about his 115 HP $23,000 ride and displaying power around town.
                    I invited him and the rest of em to go a'riding that weekend.
                    We had a blast with the wives and scenery....Meanwhile I was actually comparing torque and stuff.
                    Anyways he wanted to show off his toy so we took the others home and took a ride out and about..I followed....He let her rip from about 30mph..surprised me...figured it was gonna be a chase ...NAH! Maime reeled him in in short order and just kept pulling away...BTW for those interested, the windshield (plexistar 2) does affect high speed handling!!! Nothing too unexpected but defininately worth mentioning.
                    I guess I got the biggest kick outa the harley family actually walking aroung the xs with that look...you know..the HOLY CRAP look.
                    Now..to them..it aint one of them "rice grinders" anymore
                    Wonder how much more $$ its gonna take that HARDLY ABLESON to keep up???
                    SPEED SLOW.....
                    '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

HE got to braggin about his 115 HP $23,000 ride and displaying power around town.

I seriously doubt he's making 115 hp and if he bought new like I did and has a lot of chrome plus engine work, he surely spent more than 23k. 95 inch kit and cams makes around 90 hp, to get to 115 you would need a stroker kit, headwork and big cams. This is assumeing he has a twin cam. Personally, I don't see one bike as beeing better thah the other, just totally different animals. There is also the obvious money difference I'll admit. I'll also admit that most Harley people have the "attitude"
                      Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
                      2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

Truley XSive

Underdog, Congrats on your promotion to Trully. I'll be there shortly but I gotta go work on my XS and get it runnin for the 4th of July weekend, I've been slackin and ain't got er runnin yet
                        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                        1-big XS patch
                        1-small XS/XJ patch
                        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Materi, just checking to see if you got your carb boots. I ordered the day after you and got them in a few days. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                          X