Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update for broken XS11.com SITE:Donations needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update for broken XS11.com SITE:Donations needed!

Hey there folks,

Just got done texting/emailing with JP(Owner of XS11.com) and Mike(I.T. Database GURU) with regards to what's going to be needed to fix the site. We are running on many year old/outdated vBulletin software that runs the FORUMS. Because of the treasure trove of INFO that has been amassed over the last 16 years "WE" felt that it would NOT be prudent to try to install/use some other FREE database/Forum software, importing/converting databases isn't always successful, and the vBulletin stuff was/is proprietary in nature, and so we will need to PURCHASE a new updated license to acquire the latest version of the FORUM software to be able to install and REPAIR the databases and functionality of the site, ie. new member registration, more smart phone view compatible, as well as more compatible with the newer PHP "CODE" that the new SERVER is using that isn't working/compatible with the OLD vB software=hence the broken site!

The new license is $210.00 . Due to the poor performance of the site these last few years because of the broken software/site, we've had fewer newer members, and therefore fewer donations to the PayPal for the site for general maintenance/upkeep fees, like just paying the hosting fees. JP has only received $50.00 this whole year.

SO...JP, MIKE, and myself are asking if folks would be willing/able to make a small donation, like $5.00 from each of us. With 20 donations that would be $100, 40 donations would be $200, and this way we could obtain the new license that will allow us to SAVE our precious site, and all of the great info that we have collected here to continue to assist new and old owners of these great machines to be able to keep them on the road!

The Paypal link in on the HOME PAGE of the site. I hope folks will make a donation, don't buy that extra Starbucks coffee for 1-2 days next week!? The sooner we raise the license funds, the sooner we can implement the repairs and get XS11.com back to it's glory days!

Thanks for reading!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

TC, thanks for letting us know what's going on.
    I just donated $15 to the cause.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks TC...As soon as my monthly check cones in for Nov. I will donate to this worthy cause...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I'm in. Dig deep so you don't have to listen to TC's pledge drive again for a long time! ;-)
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Just sent $ 11.00 for The Eleven Update
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

paypal

I tried donating from the xs11 homepage but my anti-virus software will not allow a sign in to paypal from the xs11.com homepage, It says something about "phishing", however I can sign in to my payPal as I normally do but I guess I'll need a Paypal ID for this site to be able to donate. PM sent to TC.
            Bob's Bikes:
            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
            "
            Project XS11"
            "Rucksack Grunt"
            "Small Unit Leadership"
            "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
            For Sale Here.

Comment

I sent 10 last night. As I've not been able to find a job that's about the best I can do.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Just sent $5, not much I know but better than nowt.
                The UK forum could do with a Paypal donate button too.

Comment

Just donated $50. It would break my heart if all the links I have saved were gone. Hit me again if things get desperate.

Aches n Pains (Doug)
                  1995 KZ100P
                  Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                  Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

I plan to donate at least $50.00 once my check clears Nov 2nd..i have gleaned so much from this site..not mention all.of my friends here..it would also break.my heart to see all this 8nformation get lost...we cannot permit this to occur..
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hopefully with enough donations, the site will be able to host photos itself instead of needing a 3rd party service.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey folks,

We want to say thankyou for your donations, many more have donated than have posted/replied to this thread. JP informed me that it costs $1,000 a year to just cover the hosting fees for the site, and that's WITHOUT on site photo hosting, so regrettably we don't think that we will be able to provide that. Some of the other sites DO, but they also have commercial sponsors and banners and such to help defray the costs. JP has been committed to keeping the site banner/ad free, but that may change "a little" to help reduce the financial burden for him.

My antivirus software "Avast" Web Shield was too aggressive/protective and also flagged the embedded URL as PayPal-B phishing, but I have been assured that the link is correct and proper/safe. A work around can be just temporarily turning OFF the web shield of the AV software for like 10 minutes, then you can follow the link, log into Paypal and send funds, log out, and then turn the Web Shield back on.

I forgot to mention in the original post that folks can select to send the funds as a GIFT for a friend, this prevents PayPal from taking their "CUT", since we are actually donating to the site, not actually purchasing GOODS.

Thanks again for everyone's support, as I said, no donation is too small.

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I thought

I thought I had donated then an error message came up can't find 404 ?
                          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                          80 XS650 G Special II
                          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                          80 XS 1100 SG
                          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                            Hey folks,

My antivirus software "Avast" Web Shield was too aggressive/protective and also flagged the embedded URL as PayPal-B phishing, but I have been assured that the link is correct and proper/safe. A work around can be just temporarily turning OFF the web shield of the AV software for like 10 minutes, then you can follow the link, log into Paypal and send funds, log out, and then turn the Web Shield back on.

T.C.

Thanks TC, got your PM and payment has been sent ...

Just an FYI, While trying to figure out how to temporarily disable my antivirus program, I noticed this morning that my AV program (AVG) was out of date, so I updated it and now this site's home page donation link will take me to my paypal without disabling the program, and now will allow the donation to be made.

Hopefully this info will help others who are also getting the "PayPal-B phishing" block or some other error messages that are preventing them from donating to this highly worthy site....
                            Bob's Bikes:
                            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                            "
                            Project XS11"
                            "Rucksack Grunt"
                            "Small Unit Leadership"
                            "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
                            For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                              I thought I had donated then an error message came up can't find 404 ?
                              Likely that 404 error occurred after the PayPal transaction when you clicked on the hypertext or tab to "Return" to xs11.com

I just made a donation and duplicated your 404 as I tried to "Return" and got the same 404 for a missing URL. If that's the step where you got the 404 then your donation is SENT.

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                              X