cali & PNW trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cali & PNW trip

We are flying into San Francisco July 14, doing Alcatraz and Angel Island on the 15th. Picking up a bike for a ride to Seattle and flying home on the 23rd.
    I want to ride some coastline then hit the mountains; Redwoods, maybe Crater Lake and Mount Saint Helens. More than anything, I want ride and eat! What else should we see?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Colorado...…………...
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'd consider the coastal weather, which in summer is driven by the temps and heat in the Sacramento Valley. St Helens maybe worth the ride up but going up Mt Rainier and hiking a bit to get that experience. Weather permitting of course.

Mt Lassen is real good too and has volcanic stuff to see. Bolinas is kind of funky and has interesting tide pools with lots of urchens and critters. Mt Shasta is interesting too.

It kind of depends on how much actual riding you want to do vs stopping. Things like Point Reyes National seashore I mostly avoided because there were better roads to ride like Russian River.

Riding the whole coast north Calif, Ore, Wash (btdt many times) CA 1 US101 is ok as a Bucket List ride if you plan like Redwoods, Tillamook Cheese Factory tour and stuff like that. But for yee-haw riding a Mt Lassen and Sierra's ride would be good too. If 105-108 degrees in the Sac Valley then coast will be damp and foggy. . Like cold damp.

Just a couple considerations. A lot of variety in things to see and do and some great roads if you just want to ride.

Have fun ....... Look

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Commented on your post on FB DuWayne. I lived in the area I suggested for a time.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

From SF, ride the coast highway to 101, a FULL DAY ride as it's slow, but a great ride. Once back on 101, you can go inland and the heat, or stay on 101 to Crescent City, then cut inland to 5. You can also stay on the coast highway all the way up, and circle the Olympic peninsula, the take a ferry or bridge to Seattle. For the summer, there will be a lot of traffic but it's MUCH nicer than the heat up 5, or the Sierra's.
          As I know that route well, send me a pm and we can discuss what you are looking to get out of the trip, and what may work best for you.
          But DO take California 1 from Ft. Bragg to 101. Not a lot of cars and a great ride through the redwoods.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Did it last week
            Ended up with about 1500 miles from San Francisco to Seattle. Rt 1 for a lot of the ride. Over to 101 for awhile then back to 1. Right hand turn to Redding after a stop in Weed California then north. Cold on the coast. 108 in Redding.
            Up to mount Shasta, St. Helen's and Ranier.
            Absolutely beautiful weather other than Redding. Great views, food and roads. The scale and magnitude of the west coast is amazing. Anyone that hasn't riden there should consider it.
            Thanks for the input from you guys. The ultra HD ran well but I'm not running out to buy one.
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

Awesome
              Glad you had a good time.
              Glad you got to experience some of 1 & 101 and the 108 in Redding. All part of the adventure

Yup, it does get cold riding along the coast for mile after mile
              Yup, it does get hot in the Sacramento Valley
              Now you know that we weren't leading you astray.

Heat isn't that bad (except wife passed out once on the back riding home from Redding to Sacramento in the heat) but that coastal fog becomes bone chilling after too many miles. Riding up to roads end on the volcanos is spectacular. Glad you did that. Just amazing if you hit the perfect day to be there.

What, no HD Ultra in your future? Can't be true.

Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 07-26-2018, 01:38 PM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Y'all had great timing Redding Calif. is now on fire...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Y'all had great timing Redding Calif. is now on fire...
                  Yeah, things like that happen. When SWMBO and I left the Big Island, Pele got upset and started erupting the next day! It's all about timing..
                  Big problem in Redding is some of the route has been changed for decades. No more ride through the trees. Also the loss of life! With the high temps and VERY low humidity the fire is creating it's own hurricane force winds to go with the flames.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hope they can get a handle on it soon..
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                    X