Shinko/Yokahama tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinko/Yokahama tires

Any feedback on the Shinko Tour Master tires. Looking for some new skins for the 11. Some freeway- lots of state highways (Washington State) and some back road, all paved riding. Would like a long distance tire, good when wet (imagine that) and maybe a little 'sticky'. I'm not a canyon buster but do not take 35 mph turns at 35 either. Any info appreciated.
    NDAna
    Sam

tires

Personally i don't know about shinko tires.But from past Xperiance stay away from anything cheap9chin strap or shing or whatever) Igot a set from jc whitless they only lasted one very short season tread was still good but they dry rotted in less than six months.I'm running dunnlop k627 rear,dunnlop f24 front,second full season tread holding up rather well no dry rot.Haven't been in only two rain s seemed decent enough,But i use XStreme caution when in wet weather. That was tire dealer had on hand when i went to purchase they ran under 325 installed and balenced for both.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Yokohama makes some good tires. So does Chen Shing. You just have to carefully pick the right ones. Every single post that I have seen on tires seem to bash chen shing but I have a set of CS Barracuda C926 front and C915 rear tires on my XJ. I bought them to replace the dunlops that were on there. Both tires cost me about $50 each. All I can say is wow. They grip a hell of a lot better than the dunlops, they seem to be lasting longer, much cheaper, look better, and I have had them on there for close to a year and no dry rot. One of the best things about them is that they make the bike look more modern, unlike the dunlop qualifiers that were on there.

Comment

barracudas

those are the exact tire i was trashing.go figure they did grip good but i had no luck with them $25 for front 35 for rear.(i lived close enough to go to jc in person and save shipping.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Re: Shinko/Yokahama tires

Originally posted by N D ANA
          Any feedback on the Shinko Tour Master tires. Looking for some new skins for the 11. Some freeway- lots of state highways (Washington State) and some back road, all paved riding. Would like a long distance tire, good when wet (imagine that) and maybe a little 'sticky'. I'm not a canyon buster but do not take 35 mph turns at 35 either. Any info appreciated.
          NDAna
          Sam
          I have not had any experence with Shinko.It mainly depends on what your willing to pay for a set.Dunlop makes a good tire but I have had good luck with other makes as well.Bridgestone makes some good tires.Shop around and find what is best for you.Good luck.
          Bill Harvell

Comment

I wouldn't ever go near cheng-shins. Had a new cheng-shin on a 78' CB750 and arsed off on a slow corner. Got a real big surprise. The back end just slid with no warning at all. Smashed the engine cases and bashed my leg. For what it's worth, my advice is don't buy cheap tyres for big heavy bikes.

Comment

I've been digging around on the web and found some interesting information about Shinko.

It appears to be true that they bought Yokohama's motorcycle tire division...seems like some time ago.

Shinko Rubber is a Japanese company and has been in business for over 50 years.

Recently they joined with Shin Hun Company in S. Korea to move manufacturing operations there.

Here's a link: Shinko Tire Website

But here's where the "rubber meats the road". I have scoured the forums at numerous websites and have really found nothing but good comments on Shinko bike tires. Many drag racers use their 001 model tire and say they rock. The are sticky as fly paper and hook faster than any tire. Numerous dragsters at the ZRX webite and a Busa site I go to report this.

Then I read at an R1 website where people were having very good result with there 005 Advanced Sport radial and their 009 Raven long distance touring tire. One of the posts at the R1 site was from an journalist at a major bike magazine. He said in his 30+ years of riding these are some of the best tires he's ever had. He just started using them recently on tip from a friend. His opinion was they wear well, very great grip in the curves and are very stable at all speeds.

The icing on the cake seems to be the price. They are very affordable. Competitive tires from Dunlop, Bridgestone and Avon are about 40% higher. Another plus is these tires are manufactured in a free market system...S. Korea. Unlike the Chinese Cheng Shins that are likely made via slave labor.

I'm guessing my next set of tires will be Shinko (formerly Yokohama). I'll let ya know how they pan out.

Comment

One more thing.

If Shinko is good enough for the 500,000 mile man...Daniel Myers...it's good enough for me!

...of course it was a shinko car tire on his Valk...

Comment

I dont like chin tires at all, I ran a set on old kz1000 police bike I had, they was hard as a brick and dry rotted after a year. They are cheap, but when it comes to my butt against the road or 50 bucks more or less per tire I will stick with dunlop or bridgestone, you put you life on the line with the tires you choose, so you have to figure your lifes worth into the price of the equipment you use..

Comment

What are you talking about..Chin tires? Chinese?

Shinko Rubber is a Japanese company. Yokohama specifically.

As far as Jap products...I put my life in their hands daily. It's called an XS Eleven.
                    Last edited by MAXIMAN; 07-05-2006, 10:57 PM.

Comment

i just bought a shinko for the front of my xs, havent put to many miles on it but so far it seems good. and it say there made in korea. has to be better than the bald dunlop that was on it.

Comment

Yep made in South Korea. But the company is Japanese.

Comment

Working...
                        X