Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a $500 helmet ...

... a $500 helmet?

Like I said in my welcome thread, I'm new to motorcycles. I bought some gear to get me through my rider safety course, but that was before I got my XS and found you helpful people. So I have a HJC CL-17.
    Reasons I bought this one...
    • Full face
    • SNELL approved
    • Moderately cheap (like me)
    • Decent reviews

So my question is, what other features could I / should I be looking for? What's a $500 helmet got over this one? Comms obviously, but there's got to be more than that. I've heard some complain about wind noise. How do you know if it's going to have wind noise issues until you ride with it? Are there certain materials that suppress noise best? What do you all look for when shopping for a helmet?
    SF / SH Frankenbike
    • SF - frame, carbs
    • SH - engine
    • TBD - everything else

Fit .........................
    It comes down to personal preference and what you think fits you well.

Also, we can't predict what kind of wreck we might have or how we might land when we get tossed off so brand A vs B may or not make any difference as long as the helmet fits properly.

I buy Shoei because it fits me (like a glove). I've tried & tried other brands in all price ranges from $100 to $800 but nothing fits me as well as Shoei. Even an expensive Arai just does not fit me at all. (need a round head I think and mine is pointed)
    I'd much rather spend $150 than $500+ but after riding for many years and having many helmets (whether Sport bike or Touring bike or something in between) the Shoei has always been a good fit & quiet.

Many folks ride happily with HJC. If the helmet fits and you are happy with it then you got a winner. and $300 for gas to go ride.
    Helmet is a safety device and fit is one of the key components in providing you the safety you are expecting.

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-04-2017, 01:47 PM.
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Jeff. I probably got lucky in the fit department. I ordered it on Amazon instead of going in to a local shop. I used a conversion chart based on my hat size that they provided, but I really like the fit. It feels perfect around the top and back of my head. A little pinchy on my cheeks (but I'm a pretty cheeky guy, so I think that's expected.) The noise doesn't seem bad, but I don't have a reference.

By the way, I've really enjoyed your Colorado rally thread. What an amazing trip! That northern route home especially!
      SF / SH Frankenbike
      • SF - frame, carbs
      • SH - engine
      • TBD - everything else

Comment

Ditto what Jeff said. I have a "round oval" head and the Shoei Qwest fits it perfect. I have an older full-face HJC helmet, worked fine for me however the Shoei is a better fit hands down.

If I could offer one piece of advice it would be if the helmet feels a bit "tight" in one size and just right in another size in the showroom, get the smaller size because it will break in over time.

My Qwest is a 2XL and I will absolutely go with an XL the next time if I buy the same helmet. My other option is to put the next size smaller cheek pads in to tighten up the fit as well, however the helmet is coming up on six years old and a fresh helmet every five or six years is kind of recommended.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hey Josh,

The others have already provided plenty of info regarding the helmets themselves. Glad to see you have Full Face. I couldn't get the Amazon page to load, so I couldn't tell if it was a true single piece FF, or if it was a MODULAR type with the flip up jaw/chin section, to allow access to your face without having to take the helmet off, like eating, drinking, talking while stopped, etc.! Some folks don't like the Modular because it's not quite as strong/safe compared to one piece FF, YMMV.

As to the wind noise, most of us will still use noise reduction ear plugs, you can still hear horns, sirens, etc., but helps to lower the overall decibels to below the 80db ear damaging level, and just wind noise CAN get up to that level even without LOUD PIPES..ala H-D bikes!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry, T.C. I don't see a way to edit my post, but here's a different link.

HJC CL-17

It is a true full face.
            SF / SH Frankenbike
            • SF - frame, carbs
            • SH - engine
            • TBD - everything else

Comment

I have a long oval head. Nothing fits as well as Arai. They market their helmets by shape. Arai is expensive and comes with a lot of bells & whistles. The negative is that they start at over $600. HJC does not fit my head or I'd probably have one.

The best helmet is the one that protects you in an accident. Last year, I crashed and hit my head wearing a Zamp DOT half helmet. Fortunately, I landed in such a way that the helmet protected me. Lucky me.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

The best helmet is the one that protects you in an accident. Last year, I crashed and hit my head wearing a Zamp DOT half helmet. Fortunately, I landed in such a way that the helmet protected me. Lucky me.
                Hope ya threw that one away Marty.
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                  Hope ya threw that one away Marty.
                  Nope. It's a wall decoration. I hope it will remind me not to be stupid.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

The real question isnt how expensive a helmet is..and aside from fit..the question is ...Is your head worth it? Yes more expensive helmets are lighter and have upgrades that lesser priced helmets may not have...but it isnt really as important as wearing full face and head protection...Like Marty..I too had a get off 10 weeks ago..I highsided and was ejected off my bike forward..i flew 48 feet and landed head first on the back of my head and neck..my 9 year old HJC SyMax2 did its job..and it saved my bacon no question about it...ATGATT...
                    Gonna make a table lamp outta this one...LOL
                    Last edited by madmax-im; 08-06-2017, 09:53 AM.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I have a Shoei and an HJC my wife has an HJC she likes the fit better than the Shoei i like them both and neither of us can wear an Arai if it fits its good the thing to look for is Snell 2015 and DOT approved and A $100 DOT helmet that is sized correctly will better protect you than a $900 SNELL helmet in a size too large.so snug cheeks is good but the pads are interchangeable in HJC helmets
                      have fun and be careful out there
                      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                      and SOXS
                      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Cycle Gear Bilt Blaze full face. Less than $100 when on special.

I tried on almost every helmet in the store. None of the $$$ helmets fit as well.

The Sena Bluetooth communicator was stupid expensive but I can use my phone to navigate and make/receive calls when riding.
                        82 XJ1100 - sold
                        96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                        2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                        2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

And when will they start to make a helmet that accommodates glasses??? I am having a friend modify mine so they aren't smashed against my head making them useless. This will be my first street bike helmet, I am trying to make it work so I use it.
                          Tim
                          1979 xs1100sf black.
                          1973 Harley fx.
                          2005 Honda 450x.

Comment

Originally posted by timktm View Post
                            And when will they start to make a helmet that accommodates glasses??? I am having a friend modify mine so they aren't smashed against my head making them useless. This will be my first street bike helmet, I am trying to make it work so I use it.
                            Tim
                            My Bell 500 works well with glasses. It has a seam between two pads right where my glasses arms are, so they don't get pressed against the side of my head like they did with other helmet's I've had in the past.
                            80 SG Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dansmith65 View Post
                              My Bell 500 works well with glasses. It has a seam between two pads right where my glasses arms are, so they don't get pressed against the side of my head like they did with other helmet's I've had in the past.
                              Good to know for future helmets. This time around I am having a coworker remove some padding in the suspect area so my glasses sit correctly. I know if I tried to do it, it would not be pretty.
                              Tim
                              1979 xs1100sf black.
                              1973 Harley fx.
                              2005 Honda 450x.

Comment

Working...
                              X