Thanks for the add

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the add

Hello, and thank you for letting me join your forum. I bought my 79 SF a few weeks ago, but we're still not together. Here's our story...

I'm a late bloomer in the world of motorcycles. I'm 41 and just got my endorsement this week. Hadn't been on a bike since I was on the back of my grandfather's 30-35 years ago. It's something I always wanted to do. Call it mid-life crisis. Call it being married long enough to care less about the little lady's objections. For whatever reason, I finally pulled the trigger.

When I bought my XS, I didn't really know anything about it. I relied heavily on my brother-in-law, who test rode it, checked it out, and told me he thought it was worth the cost. He's a rider, but didn't know anything about the XS specifically. When I bought it, it needed the rear master cylinder rebuilt, so it wasn't up for the 1.5 hour drive home. Instead, my bil rode it to my parents-in-law's place, which was only about a half hour away (but the wrong direction. ) The next weekend I was waiting on the mc rebuild kit, but I did ride it around the block a few times. (Never ridden a bike. No rear brake. Didn't want to push it...)

Since then, I was out of town for a week with my boys at Cub Scout camp. The next week we took a family vacation to Houston. And last weekend was my rider safety course.

I did go up there on the 4th of July. Rebuilt the rmc, but the bike wouldn't start. No power. It had been sitting for a couple weeks by then, so not too surprising. I ran out and bought a charger / maintainer, and found it wouldn't hold a charge. Didn't have time to go get a new battery. (On top of my in-laws living 2 hours away, they also live in the middle of nowhere, so it's at least an hour trip to get tools, parts, etc. and I had already run out once to get the charger.)

So that's where we're at... The majority of my riding experience is now on a Suzuki GN125 at a rider training course (got there too late to get one of the 250 Rebels, lol) and I'm desperate to bring my bike home.

I'll try to figure out how to post pics later, but the guy who sold it to me still hasn't taken down the ad, so you can check out his... https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/6178551035.html

Thanks to T.C. and the forum here, I was able to discover that it's not a 78 as advertised. It's a 79SF according to the frame, but the numbers don't match. The engine plate is from a 81SH. The seat also appears to be from an 81. (All original my rear...)

I'm not what you'd call a gearhead, but I can do some things... In my youth I liked to tinker with my cars, but now that I'm older, have responsibilities, and need a car to fulfill those responsibilities, I'm more likely to take it to a shop. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to with the bike - being able to get my hands dirty without worrying if I can get it all back together to get to work on Monday. I plan on doing as much work myself as possible, and I'm looking forward to leaning on all of you for your knowledge about my XS11.

tl;dr version - Biking noob doesn't know what he bought. Explain like he's 5.
    SF / SH Frankenbike
    • SF - frame, carbs
    • SH - engine
    • TBD - everything else

Welcome! Look forward to hearing how the bike runs on a "real" ride.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by TruthHammer View Post
      Hello, and thank you for letting me join your forum. I bought my 79 SF a few weeks ago, but we're still not together. Here's our story...

I'm a late bloomer in the world of motorcycles. I'm 41 and just got my endorsement this week. Hadn't been on a bike since I was on the back of my grandfather's 30-35 years ago. It's something I always wanted to do. Call it mid-life crisis. Call it being married long enough to care less about the little lady's objections. For whatever reason, I finally pulled the trigger.

When I bought my XS, I didn't really know anything about it. I relied heavily on my brother-in-law, who test rode it, checked it out, and told me he thought it was worth the cost. He's a rider, but didn't know anything about the XS specifically. When I bought it, it needed the rear master cylinder rebuilt, so it wasn't up for the 1.5 hour drive home. Instead, my bil rode it to my parents-in-law's place, which was only about a half hour away (but the wrong direction. ) The next weekend I was waiting on the mc rebuild kit, but I did ride it around the block a few times. (Never ridden a bike. No rear brake. Didn't want to push it...)

Since then, I was out of town for a week with my boys at Cub Scout camp. The next week we took a family vacation to Houston. And last weekend was my rider safety course.

I did go up there on the 4th of July. Rebuilt the rmc, but the bike wouldn't start. No power. It had been sitting for a couple weeks by then, so not too surprising. I ran out and bought a charger / maintainer, and found it wouldn't hold a charge. Didn't have time to go get a new battery. (On top of my in-laws living 2 hours away, they also live in the middle of nowhere, so it's at least an hour trip to get tools, parts, etc. and I had already run out once to get the charger.)

So that's where we're at... The majority of my riding experience is now on a Suzuki GN125 at a rider training course (got there too late to get one of the 250 Rebels, lol) and I'm desperate to bring my bike home.

I'll try to figure out how to post pics later, but the guy who sold it to me still hasn't taken down the ad, so you can check out his... https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/6178551035.html

Thanks to T.C. and the forum here, I was able to discover that it's not a 78 as advertised. It's a 79SF according to the frame, but the numbers don't match. The engine plate is from a 81SH. The seat also appears to be from an 81. (All original my rear...)

I'm not what you'd call a gearhead, but I can do some things... In my youth I liked to tinker with my cars, but now that I'm older, have responsibilities, and need a car to fulfill those responsibilities, I'm more likely to take it to a shop. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to with the bike - being able to get my hands dirty without worrying if I can get it all back together to get to work on Monday. I plan on doing as much work myself as possible, and I'm looking forward to leaning on all of you for your knowledge about my XS11.

tl;dr version - Biking noob doesn't know what he bought. Explain like he's 5.
      Hi TruthHammer and welcome,
      you sure picked a monster to learn on.
      Even a clapped-out XS11 will go well over 100mph so long as it's firing on all 4 cylinders.
      It's brakes and handling get kinda dodgy above about 85mph.
      Fer Chrissake be careful, eh? Your training course will teach you the basics but it's 125cc Suzi only lets you smell the soup course while an XS11 is the 22oz T-bone & trimmings.
      And buy a Clymers. There's weird **** in an XS11. The engine runs backwards, it has a vacuum spark advance, the Special's quaint pivoting front brake calipers have TAPERED brake pads on purpose, it's awesome power lets riders pull 2nd gear wheelies, alas that doing so buggers up 2nd gear.
      I posted something like this quite a while back.
      "It goes like a train, drinks like a fish and shifts gears like a Russian tractor, you are going to love it."
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I think the starter on a XS11 puts our more HP than a GN125. Anyway, as mentioned, you picked a land based ICBM, abet an old one. There simple to work on once you dive into them. No computers, no fuel injection, no antidive forks or slipper clutches here. Hit 4500rpm and you better be pointed in the direction you want to go. Yes, there are many, many faster bikes but they aint near as cool. And what I like to tell people, "you might be surprised how slow it isn't". Your way ahead of game since you got a runner. This group has a tremendous wealth of knowledge when it comes to the 11. I don't think there is problem that hasn't be discovered, analyzed and fixed. It will try your patience and sometimes you wallet. Dont take it to a shop. Most of them will be stumped cause they cant find the diagnostic port. Most of the techs were not even born when your rig came out. Ask away when you have an issue or wonder how to do something. You will soon find out what triple clean is and why K&L is the scourge of XS owners.

Most of all, be really really careful when you first take it out and wind it up. 100mph on the speedo isn't that far away.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Hey Truth,

Welcome to the madness! Okay, some important info you've given us already, a 79Sf with an 81 heart transplant. The 81's used a different Ignition unit, incorporated the centrifugal advance curves into the TCI, but still used the mechanical vac. adv. unit. The ignition coils were 3.0 ohm vs. the 78-80 series that used 1.5 ohms with 1.5 ohm ballast resistor.
          SO..hopefully the PO(Previous owner) transplanted the ignition parts from the 79 onto the 81 engine and still used the 79 components, TCI, Coils, Ballast resistor, mech. cent. and vac. advance parts. As you learned, when the battery gets too weak, the voltage to the TCI/Coils will drop below 10.5V and then they won't work and the bike won't start even though it may still crank. Aside from the battery to frame/ground strap, also clean the engine to frame ground strap behind the starter. Another weak point is the fuseblock, if it still has the glass fuses/holder, you'll want to change it out for solid ATCO style fuses/holder.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...5&postcount=10

The bike did run, so hopefully the PO did the transplant correctly, but these are some of the things to check on when you get the time.

Don't let this technobabble scare you, you have some basic mechanical skills, now along with your riding class, you'll be going to mechanic school as well. The links I provided you with the confirmation email will let you download a Clymer's type manual if you haven't followed it yet.

As has been eluded to, these machines are very durable ONCE they are properly tuned up, but costly damage can be done if you aren't aware of certain steps to certain procedures ie. the cam chain tensioner adjustment. I didn't check your location before I started typing, there's usually someone/xsive relative near to folks that can provide some hands on guidance if/when needed, so remember to ALWAYS check/search/ask here before attempting a new procedure/repair/maintenance if you're not really sure how to do it!

We know you're anxious to get the bike up and running and to get on it, but you want to make sure that it's both safe and dependable lest you get stranded 10's/hundreds of miles away from home.

You did the rear MC rebuild, but did you also tear down the caliper, the square O-ring channel likes to form corrosion which makes the piston get too tight and not release properly when you let off of the pedal. Also, the actual pedal shaft forms rust/corrosion and can cause it to stick as well. So...as you can see, several things can contribute to a particular problem/symptom.

There's a born on date on the tires, 4 numbers in an oval, 1st 2 are week(1-52) 2nd 2 are year of production. Due to Ozone and such, rubber ages/hardens/gets slickery after about 6 years, best to replace them if that or older, despite how GOOD they look!

I'll shut up for now, ENJOY the resurrection process, you'll learn more about how to fix/maintain your bike and be affordable as well as reliable and safe.

Regrettably, Photobucket hosed their FREE accounts, so NOW we suggest using www.imgur.com for free photo hosting and linking.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Stay the heck away from 100 mph on the speedometer. You have no need to be doing that anytime soon. That probably goes without saying however never hurts to say it!

The GN125 weighs 242 lbs at the curb, my 80SG weighs 605 lbs at the curb, your 79F probably the same. That's 363 lbs difference...

The biggest difference is going to be modulating the controls and handling at low speed while balancing coming to a stop, at a stop and getting underway from a stop due to the weight. Once you are going the wheels by the laws of physics want to keep going in a straight direction so the stability of the bike is like any other bike. It takes more discipline and focus on your part because of the weight.

The XS1100 has 82-85 hp at the rear wheel, the GN125 probably 10 hp. Big difference it would seem. However, Suzuki SV650's are within 10 hp of the XS1100, 3 mph and 1/10th of a second in the 1/4 mile, and are a great beginners bike because of less weight.

Regardless of what you may have for preconceived notions or ideas from others, YOU control how much of that power gets used or not used, whereas the weight is always there and you need to be vigilant as you get to riding!

Be safe!
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Even a clapped-out XS11 will go well over 100mph so long as it's firing on all 4 cylinders.
              I'll leave that kind of driving to you vets and the youthfully ignorant. I'm going to be perfectly happy at 55 for a while.

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              And buy a Clymers. There's weird **** in an XS11.
              Thanks for the advice. It was one of the first things I did.
              SF / SH Frankenbike
              • SF - frame, carbs
              • SH - engine
              • TBD - everything else

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                I didn't check your location before I started typing, there's usually someone/xsive relative near to folks that can provide some hands on guidance if/when needed, so remember to ALWAYS check/search/ask here before attempting a new procedure/repair/maintenance if you're not really sure how to do it!
                Thanks, T.C. I'd love to connect with one of the folks on here to get their opinion on my bike once I get it running. It's tough to know when something's amiss if you have no frame of reference.

I'm in the Indianapolis area.
                SF / SH Frankenbike
                • SF - frame, carbs
                • SH - engine
                • TBD - everything else

Comment

I'll leave that kind of driving to you vets and the youthfully ignorant. I'm going to be perfectly happy at 55 for a while.
                  Thanks for the advice. It was one of the first things I did.
                  Hi TruthHammer,
                  I'd forgotten that this site ****s out certain words unless you mis-spell them.
                  As in "Weird schit" Lucky for me the censor program spells in American and so cannot recognize arse.
                  I'd also omitted a phrase in my XS11 description, it should read:-
                  "It goes like a train, drinks like a fish, handles like a cow and shifts gears like a Russian tractor, you are going to love it."
                  And "perfectly happy at 55 for a while"? Yeah, right.
                  It won't be a long while.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

So I brought her home yesterday! It was a pretty easy, mostly straight line 60-65 mph ride from my in-laws' to home. But man, what a blast! I can't wait to get back on it.

A couple of observations...

During the 65mph stretch it bogged down a little and slowed if I gave it too much throttle. Not sure if I'll get to it tonight, but I was going to start with the air filter and check the plugs to see if it's running lean or rich. Any other quick suggestions before digging into something more involved?

The bike was comfortable enough at first, but about an hour in I realized the buckhorn bars just aren't a good fit for me. It's a shame, because I really like the look, but the wrist angle takes a toll after a while. Is there anything special I need to know about the XS11 when I start looking for replacements?

Now let's see if I can get this image thing working...
                    SF / SH Frankenbike
                    • SF - frame, carbs
                    • SH - engine
                    • TBD - everything else

Comment

Hey Truth,

Welcome to the madness! Okay, some important info you've given us already, a 79Sf with an 81 heart transplant. The 81's used a different Ignition unit, incorporated the centrifugal advance curves into the TCI, but still used the mechanical vac. adv. unit. The ignition coils were 3.0 ohm vs. the 78-80 series that used 1.5 ohms with 1.5 ohm ballast resistor.
                      SO..hopefully the PO(Previous owner) transplanted the ignition parts from the 79 onto the 81 engine and still used the 79 components, TCI, Coils, Ballast resistor, mech. cent. and vac. advance parts. As you learned, when the battery gets too weak, the voltage to the TCI/Coils will drop below 10.5V and then they won't work and the bike won't start even though it may still crank. Aside from the battery to frame/ground strap, also clean the engine to frame ground strap behind the starter. Another weak point is the fuseblock, if it still has the glass fuses/holder, you'll want to change it out for solid ATCO style fuses/holder.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...5&postcount=10

The bike did run, so hopefully the PO did the transplant correctly, but these are some of the things to check on when you get the time.

Don't let this technobabble scare you, you have some basic mechanical skills, now along with your riding class, you'll be going to mechanic school as well. The links I provided you with the confirmation email will let you download a Clymer's type manual if you haven't followed it yet.

As has been eluded to, these machines are very durable ONCE they are properly tuned up, but costly damage can be done if you aren't aware of certain steps to certain procedures ie. the cam chain tensioner adjustment. I didn't check your location before I started typing, there's usually someone/xsive relative near to folks that can provide some hands on guidance if/when needed, so remember to ALWAYS check/search/ask here before attempting a new procedure/repair/maintenance if you're not really sure how to do it!

We know you're anxious to get the bike up and running and to get on it, but you want to make sure that it's both safe and dependable lest you get stranded 10's/hundreds of miles away from home.

You did the rear MC rebuild, but did you also tear down the caliper, the square O-ring channel likes to form corrosion which makes the piston get too tight and not release properly when you let off of the pedal. Also, the actual pedal shaft forms rust/corrosion and can cause it to stick as well. So...as you can see, several things can contribute to a particular problem/symptom.

There's a born on date on the tires, 4 numbers in an oval, 1st 2 are week(1-52) 2nd 2 are year of production. Due to Ozone and such, rubber ages/hardens/gets slickery after about 6 years, best to replace them if that or older, despite how GOOD they look!

I'll shut up for now, ENJOY the resurrection process, you'll learn more about how to fix/maintain your bike and be affordable as well as reliable and safe.

Regrettably, Photobucket hosed their FREE accounts, so NOW we suggest using www.imgur.com for free photo hosting and linking.

T.C.
                      Incorrect T.C..........mechanical advance it TOTALLY done thru 4RO reulator module on 81's thru XJ's.
                      Last edited by motoman; 07-17-2017, 05:34 PM.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Brant,

You read to quickly, I said the Cent. Adv was IN the 81 TCI, the Mech"VAC" adv was still used in 81, THEN it also was programmed into the TCI with the XJ in 82-84.

Great looking machine there Truth. Okay, if totally stock, then it still has the Octopus/vac. controlled fuel valve. Running at speed, possible both the vac hose that activates it has a leak, or the valve is partially stuck, so that it doesn't allow enough fuel to flow to keep the bowls full, and could contribute to loss of throttle response. A simple test would be to get the bike started, and then turn the petocks to PRIME....this bypasses the OCTY, and then ride it like before and see if it still behaves/stalls at the same speed and throttle input.

If it still stalls, then downshift a gear and maintain same speed and see how it responds to throttle. Aside from the air filter, also check the snorkel for the airbox, critters like to make nests in there, or it can get caught/kinked restricting air flow.

We don't know the history of the bike, how long it may have been sitting before you got it? Another relatively quick thing you can do is put about a 1/3 can of SeaFoam in a full tank of gas, and run it a little while to get it into the carbs, then park it overnight to allow it to sit and soak/work. Then keep riding it, and keep putting more SeaFoam into each successive tank full. It can help clean out some minor gum/varnish in the carb circuits and may help reduce or eliminate the throttle bog.

Another common problem that's a bit more involved is the PICKUP COIL wires under the left crank/timing cover. They flex a lot, and eventually can break/splinter, but are still held together with the insulation. Then while riding, especially in cruise mode/little throttle input, the vac. adv. kicks in and rotates the timing plate a lot which can cause the wires to separate and loose ignition signal for a coil which can feel like it's stalling when you try to give it a little throttle input. But when you really open it up, the vac. adv. releases and the timing plate rotates allowing the wires to reconnect, and you get full fire power!?
                        A test for that is to cap off the vac. adv. hose and the #2 carb inlet port and then ride it and see if it still stalls at same speed/throttle input. IF it doesn't misbehave with hose capped, then further exploration of the wires will be indicated.
                        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543

Always good to put in NEW spark plugs anyways! Good Luck.

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Ooh... good call. 2404
                          SF / SH Frankenbike
                          • SF - frame, carbs
                          • SH - engine
                          • TBD - everything else

Comment

Forgot to mention,

The bars are 7/8" not 1" like Harleys. You can find them at a variety of places. I swapped mine out for early model Honda GW bars, have similar pullback/rise, but the wrist angles are more flat so don't bend your wrists awkwardly.

See this for an idea, note the rise/pullback/width specs.

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/?q=handlebar

Handlebar - Stock Type ~ CB750K 1973-76 / CB750F 1975-76
                            #73-0154 | Honda CB750K (1973-1976), CB750F (1975-1976)

Stock Type Handlebar for the CB750K (1973-76), CB750F (1975-76) - Chrome. Drilled for wires like the OEM type. Width 32" - Rise 7" - Pullback 4" x 7/8"Dia. $46.95
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

So I brought her home yesterday! It was a pretty easy, mostly straight line 60-65 mph ride from my in-laws' to home. But man, what a blast! I can't wait to get back on it.

A couple of observations...

During the 65mph stretch it bogged down a little and slowed if I gave it too much throttle. Not sure if I'll get to it tonight, but I was going to start with the air filter and check the plugs to see if it's running lean or rich. Any other quick suggestions before digging into something more involved?

The bike was comfortable enough at first, but about an hour in I realized the buckhorn bars just aren't a good fit for me. It's a shame, because I really like the look, but the wrist angle takes a toll after a while. Is there anything special I need to know about the XS11 when I start looking for replacements?

Now let's see if I can get this image thing working...
                              Hi TruthHammer,
                              what they said about checking the ignition wiring for flex-induced conductor breakage and deep-sixing the octopus valve.
                              And now you know why almost everyone swaps out the Special's ergonomically disastrous stock rototiller handlebars.
                              Nothin' out of the ordinary about XS11 Special 'bars. Any 7/8" 'bar that suits your preferred riding stance will do. I put Honda CB750 bars on mine.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X