Gps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps

I know others have the same issue and someone has the answers. I have a GPS but want one I can hook a Bluetooth headset too. I can make out what is said from speaker some times not always depends on road traffic but a truck beside you and no way. Garmin offers several that are Bluetooth compatible but they specifically say ( so you can hook Phone to GPS and use speaker and Mic in GPS to handle phone calls). I want to put a blue tooth headset in helmet and hear the GPS. If it also works with phone Great but the main issue is to hear the GPS in the helmet. I know Garmin has the $700.00 suggested one. I am looking more to an E BAY version not complicated just simple navigation that i can download to and use on our trips. I do prefer to stay with Garmin and if there is a suggestion of a headset that goes well in full face helmets it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
    1980 G Silverbird
    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
    1198 Overbore kit
    Grizzly 660 ACCT
    Barnett Clutch Springs
    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
    122.5 Main Jets
    ACCT Mod
    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
    Antivibe Bar ends
    Rear trunk add-on
    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Chinavision GPS for $100 seems to be a good unit. 4.3 in. Rage or the newer 5 in. version.
    Waterproof, Bluetooth, pretty full featured for bikes.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

Chinavision GPS for $100 seems to be a good unit. 4.3 in. Rage or the newer 5 in. version.
      Waterproof, Bluetooth, pretty full featured for bikes.

I'm a map guy, but I now have one of these and find it to be a usefull tool to have on the bike for certain specific situations.
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

Why the hell can't we delete or edit a post on this site after a few seconds have lapsed??
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Hey Ron- I have the Garmin Zumo 660, along with an older GPS. Both of them allowed for BT connectivity.

For a cheaper Garmin, scour eBay for a Zumo 395. Cheaper version of the 660.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Ron,
            The newer Garmin's are using Basecamp software to plan a route, which is far different than their older methods using viapoints in the gps itself... fyi.
            Some like it ok, most hate it and prefer the old way.

I found a good condition used Zumo 550, one of the best Garmins they ever made. I like it, a lot.
            I like being able to program ride routes in the 550 in a motel room, and route changes are not a big deal.
            It also will search quickly for nearest gas stations, motels, restraunts... and you can easily do it by pushing one button instead of going through three or four menu selections. Bohn and I both have them, and know a source for battery replacements.

I also have an Iphone SE, and will use it's gps sometimes too.
            Granted, it's screen's too small to use it as a visual aid, but turn by turn works great, and it's easy to program. Use the 550 for visual.

The 550 was designed to be the hub between a bluetooth headset and a cell phone. Sometimes, this can be ok, sometimes a pain.
            The fix I found, the new Scala Rider Packtalk headset. You might check it out.
            You can now pair 2 seperate devices to the Packtalk.
            It has a 3.5 jack on the unit, so you can use earbuds or their speakers, since they plug and unplug as well.

I found my Packtalk on ebay for $199 new. Group rides that have 4 riders with these can bounce the intercom up to 3 miles. Single or 2 riders up to 1 mile.
            There's a whole host of cool new features with these. The days of poor audio are over.
            Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
            Bob
            Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 06-25-2017, 10:41 PM.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's back guys I get the feeling the first Garmin I purchased even though is said Bluetooth compatible and was not that most all other models that advertise it are and work well. I just did not want to buy another one and have no use for it. I will look into the Scala Packtalk Bob. One thing I was interested in was being able to hear music also. These long rides when you are on interstate you need all you can get plus why have a way to communicate with passenger if you can not clearly hear them.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

The Packtalk also has a new feature called music share, which lets you and a passenger both wirelessly stream tunes from one source, so both can listen to the same song.

It also has an app you can download to your phone that allows you to control it easily from there. It has a fm radio feature and you can preset 6 stations, or scan while riding. This things like the Swiss Army knife of comms.

It really excells for group rides. Once you've paired with another comm, it always remembers it. If someone in the group splits off, then later rejoins, it automatically repairs.

The big thing is being able to pair 2 devices at the same time with it, an industry first. I don't think the Sena will do that...yet.

I love using earbuds instead of speakers, though. Best sound quality, volume, and bass response, but still able to hear the important stuff... Like the bike's engine, traffic, horns, etc, but also reducing the noise level.

Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                X