Washed bike thoroughly; won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washed bike thoroughly; won't start

I gave my XS1100 a good washing yesterday, but it wouldn't start afterward. Absolutely nothing happened when I pressed the start button (kill switch was in the RUN position). It's not the battery, since it was fully charged and all the lights worked when I turned the key to the ON position. I took the seat off and noticed a bit of water on top of the battery and wiped it off. I removed the side covers, but all seemed dry. I also removed the spark plug cables; there was indeed water on the plugs, so I wiped that off too.

I let the bike dry off for 24 hours, but it still won't start. Could the problem be inside the right handle switch assembly? Where else could it lie?

Thank you !
    '81 XS11LH
    '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Pickup coil wires are probably failing and when it gets wet the coil ground out. There are many writeups on different ways to fix them on here. Do a search and find which way works best for you.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Phare Est View Post
      . Could the problem be inside the right handle switch assembly?
      Since your starter motor is not getting any juice, that's the first place I would look - at the kill switch.

It only takes a minute to take it apart and jumper past the kill switch to diagnose.

Let us know if this doesn't work.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Put the bike in gear. Squeeze the clutch lever and see if it starts.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

The harness got wet. Bottom left side of the engine. Off the top of my head, I believe it will start if you disconnect the neutral switch. The neutral switch is bottom left as well.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

May also be the ground at the handle bar switch. I had that problem after i first got my bike and cleaned it. Turns out it's kinda finicky.
            1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Problem solved

First off, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, which helped me find the trouble spot.

The problem was under the gas tank where the switch assembly wires connect to the harness. I had to disconnect and reconnect them, then bend the wires in a certain way for the starter motor to finally fire up. I suppose some water got under the gas tank and into the connectors when I washed it. I'm glad it was an easy fix!
              '81 XS11LH
              '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Comment

First off, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, which helped me find the trouble spot.

The problem was under the gas tank where the switch assembly wires connect to the harness. I had to disconnect and reconnect them, then bend the wires in a certain way for the starter motor to finally fire up. I suppose some water got under the gas tank and into the connectors when I washed it. I'm glad it was an easy fix!
                .....for now anyway. That plug-in being the issue completes the running circuit and is directly connected to the run/stop switch on right side of handlebars. So as to not get stranded somewhere from nowhere, I suggest you unplug that connection and clean those contacts on both wires with CRC electrical cleaner. Plug back together and add a small dab of dielectic grease around outside where connector is where wires go into the plug-ins.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks motoman! I'll be sure to do that.
                  '81 XS11LH
                  '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Comment

Thanks motoman! I'll be sure to do that.
                    Same goes for the kill switch too. Remove from bars and take apart and clean. Watch for the teeny spring inside switch.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                    X