Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short introduction - new member

Hi all,

thought it might be good to introduce myself. My name is Willem, I live in Utrecht, The Netherlands.
    Last october I bought a '79 Yamaha XS1100F (EU) sidecar conversion (EML). I am now catching up with all specifics of this bike and getting it technically in tip top condition. It's in quite good nick already. I ride it regularly but it needs new tyres, carb synching and stuff like that.
    I also need to relearn to ride with a sidecar :-). Great fun!

I'll upload some pictures once I find out how ......
    1979 XS1100 78E (EU) light blue with EML sidecar, fully modified for sidecar bij EML, Netherlands

Welcome aboard!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Welcome to the site, William, what kind of sidecar do you have?

To post images here you have to upload them to a third-party image hosting site like Photobucket.com, then Copy/Past the link to the image in your post.

Here's what it looks like with the IMG tags expanded so the forum software won't trip over it:

[I M G]http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/3Phase_2009/Misc/XS11/DSC00800_rec_zpsuvdit4zq.jpg[/I M G]

And here's the link to my 1980G with the correct BB tags so the forum software knows it's an image and where to find it, resize it if necessary and then display it:

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

XS1100 + EML sidecar conversion

Would this work?

1979 XS1100 78E (EU) light blue with EML sidecar, fully modified for sidecar bij EML, Netherlands

Comment

I get a 404 on your link, Willem.

I don't think Google Photos works with VBulletin image tags, they just show up as a generic image icon. In Chrome Right-click | Open image in new tab will try to open the image link.

Here's a link set as a URL but for some reason it won't allow direct access and wants a login to my account:-

[U R L]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPxAWtBkcK-TrgF6pLXzT8Ek4KqlJe4dKXARL7F[/U R L]

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...KqlJe4dKXARL7F

Here's the same image but I made a Share link from the view menu on Google Photos:-

https://goo.gl/photos/zUnVJuxHvdBMwYst6

And the same Shared image link with IMG tags instead of URL tags:

-- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yeah, I see. Thanks for explaining. So I'll probably have to make an account with some photo sharing service first.

Here's a link to a Google Album: https://goo.gl/photos/98x4yYGvv6RQytfx7
            Last edited by willem.deboer; 05-02-2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Nice! Very nice!

The EML site only has their new products, what model of EML sidecar do you have? Is it new or rebuilt from an older model?

I looked around briefly and Youtube has some interesting EML sidecar videos from Arie Hooijer, including one with a moss-covered XS1100 and sidecar.

XS1100 Eml
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

Thank you! As far as I know, the sidecar was joined with the XS1100 in 1981 or 1982 and they were a couple ever since. I have seen the same EML sidecar with many BMW's (R60 and R100) of that era. Never seen another XS1100 with sidecar. The conversion is quite extensive. Actually, even the frame and the wheels are custom by EML, as far as I know. Disc brakes on all wheels. The sidecar wheel is not driven. It is registered as a 4-person vehicle. The sidecar will carry two children or 1.5 adult. There's a boot with quite a lot of space. The boot also houses the battery, which is a 48 Ah car battery. Car tires on the backwheel and sidecar wheel.
                It feels and is very rugged and rigid and is extremely stable. Riding at 70 mph with one hand is not a problem. I love it!
                Plan is to get it technically in top condition and ride it across Europe and to the United Kingdom for holidays. Lots of luggage space :-).
                Last edited by willem.deboer; 05-02-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Very cool

What a splendid ride!

That front suspension looks interesting. Haven't seen that on an XS before
                  '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                  '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                  '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                    What a splendid ride!

That front suspension looks interesting. Haven't seen that on an XS before
                    Known as a leading link suspenion.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Welkom Willem,
                      Sidecars are unusual so I am sure that bike will be a big hit at any rallies. There are a few from Holland on here. Interesting the addition of a disc brake to the sidecar. I bet that helps to stop all that weight.

Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                        Welkom Willem,
                        Sidecars are unusual so I am sure that bike will be a big hit at any rallies. There are a few from Holland on here. Interesting the addition of a disc brake to the sidecar. I bet that helps to stop all that weight.

Phil
                        Dry weight 379 kg. So with two persons on/in it that's over 500 kg ....

Comment

Working...
                        X