Back on an XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on an XS

Hi, it's been a while. I have checked the forum regularly since my SF was adopted by the City of NY in a slight financial disagreement between us.
    As of last night, tho', I'm looking to be back in the saddle soon.

1979 standard. It has been stored since 1998, less than 3300 miles. Under some minor corrosion its in really nice shape. Some carb work this weekend will show if it's going to be a keeper. Looks good so far, engine is not stuck, no sign of bad wrenching. I put so much effort into my special back in the day, and learnt so much on this forum, that the seller was flabbergasted that someone had come to look at it that knew anything at all about these bikes.

Will update when I'm (hopefully...) zipping around. Or if not, you will see questions in the Tech forum.

Best,

Gareth

Should sure make for a decent ride! BTW, sure don't see many of that year Standard with the optional Yamaha accessories(tailtrunk,sidecases).
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Welcome back!
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Should sure make for a decent ride! BTW, sure don't see many of that year Standard with the optional Yamaha accessories(tailtrunk,sidecases).
        Thanks, feels good to go to eleven again!
        I had never seen the detachable original luggage before. It's pretty cool. One key locks the individual cases and also locks the cases to the bike framework. I was familiar with the other hard luggage boxes that were essentially permanently mounted to the bike. Its nice that this type can be easily removed to return to a "non-dresser" look.

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          Welcome back!
          Thanks, DuWayne...good to be back!

Comment

Hi Gareth,
            Nice to see you back again. That is a good looking luggage set up that I have not seen before. Hope it runs as good as it looks.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Great return

That looks like a great bike to return with. Such low milage and awesome luggage set.
              '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
              '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
              '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Hey, Gareth, another NYC Xsive. Looks like you have a bigger yard than I do!
                Steve R

'80 SG
                "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                1978 XS400E Red
                1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
                  Hey, Gareth, another NYC Xsive. Looks like you have a bigger yard than I do!
                  I wish! Thats the previous owners place in suburban Nyack. I'm crushed in here in Queens. Bike's on street...etc..you perhaps know the drill..

Comment

Originally posted by gareth View Post
                    I wish! Thats the previous owners place in suburban Nyack. I'm crushed in here in Queens. Bike's on street...etc..you perhaps know the drill..
                    I am lucky, I have a little concrete front yard here in Harlem--it's tight but off the street. PM me when you're up and running--my SG is up in Woodstock in its winter home but hope to have it down here by May. Or if I can help in any way. You probably know more than I do about these bikes than I do but happy to see another XSive and may have a tool or spare part you might need...

Steve

Steve R

'80 SG
                    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                    1978 XS400E Red
                    1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Thanks, Steve.
                      I just rented a truck and brought it home this morning.
                      I had forgotten how BIG the Standard bike is.
                      Dayum, that thing is a large beast.

G.

Comment

Hey Gareth...does my exhaust sound loud ???
                        Welcome back to CH11...
                        Neat find..that should clean up nice...
                        Last edited by madmax-im; 04-14-2017, 07:50 PM.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

[QUOTE=madmax-im;497028]Hey Gareth...does my exhaust sound loud ???
                          Welcome back to CH11...
                          Neat find..that should clean up nice...[/QUOTE

"It sounds like it might be a few miles back, Ben......"
                          I tell that story all the time. It was a great weekend...LOL.

Good to be back.
                          Hopefully starting the new/old bike this weekend.

G.

Comment

Working...
                          X