It's Only February in Michigan . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Only February in Michigan . . .

So, that means snow could be on it's way for another month or more. So, no riding for me anytime soon, despite the teasing temps. However, I have been saving the money each check for my motorcycle stash fund, and have slowly been buying treats for myself in-time for "motorcycle weekend", where I trailer the bikes to the shop, and prep them to ride.

I'll be sending my Triumph's seat to off to Spencer (http://www.greatdaytoride.com/supracor.html) at Great Day to Ride, where he'll re-mold the seat foam, and install Supracor to make the seat more comfortable.

Secondly, I'm sending my Triumph's cowl off to Gustaffson's in Florida, to have a custom windscreen made for it. I bought a Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen for it last year (waited four months to have it made), and was very disappointed with it. My boss has a ZX-14 with the same model line, and his puts mine to shame. So, I intend on giving Gustaffson's the specs for his shield to model after.

I bought some new led "flood" lights, to replace the Cree U7 spot lights I had on the Triumph. I was very disappointed with their output, despite how cool they looked. I hope where I mount the flood lights, they do not blind on-coming traffic.

Triumph gets a new D.I.D. ZVM-X 530, 108 link chain to replace the old, and ugly looking chain currently on it. Also getting some JT Sprockets (18/45T).

One more addition to the Triumph will be a Omni-Cruise throttle control. I found this to be the cheapest, yet most effective means of relieving cramps on the highway. I considered much pricier options like the Brakeaway, Throttlemeiser, Kaoko, etc, but this is what I chose.

The XS1100 will be sporting a new pair of Michelin Pilot Activs (100 up-front), along with new steering head bearings (All Balls). While the tires are off, I'll give the final drive and wheel bearings some extra grease, along with a oil change with Walmart 20W-50, and a Wix filter. Sooner or later I'll have to pull the jugs and fix the oil leak at the base gasket. It won't be this year though. If that muffler cracks any further, I'll pull the exhaust and that'd be a good time to pull the engine.

One last thing I have added to my safety arsenal from last year is the Whistler WHL-80. It's a wireless brake light/turn signal display that mounts to the back of my helmet. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...hl-80&_sacat=0). I also wear a Hi-Viz vest on-top of my jacket, along with two of these LED safety belts criss-crossed on my back. (https://www.amazon.com/LED-Reflectiv.../dp/B00N0PN3R4)
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Hey Ian...75 here in NC today...awesome day to be out riding...
    Spencer does great work and is a true gentleman to deal with. He did 2 seats on my ST1100s
    Will be curious toi see your new Cree LEDs ..pics Ian...we like 'em...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 02-19-2017, 04:47 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

hi Ben,
      Temp went up to 55F yesterday so i rolled the Kawi out for a short 35 mile ride. Nerly a foot of snow fell on Tuesday so quite a dramatic change. today is 46F. a nice break from the cold.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

If I kept my bikes at home, I would have rode this weekend. I did pull the cowl and seat off the Triumph today, ready to send out tomorrow.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Bet you rode Today

Ian, I'll be shocked if you didn't make it out today. I was thinking if you as I went for a ride today.

I rode one of the Triples for an hour, and nobody was home when I got back, so I took the Bagger XS11SG out for another hour or two.

66 Degrees, sunny, and dry was such a treat for February in Michigan.
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Spring is here

1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
              Ian, I'll be shocked if you didn't make it out today. I was thinking if you as I went for a ride today.

I rode one of the Triples for an hour, and nobody was home when I got back, so I took the Bagger XS11SG out for another hour or two.

66 Degrees, sunny, and dry was such a treat for February in Michigan.
              Then u'll be shocked Mike. I keep my bikes in a storage garage, so I'd rather not get gas in the carbs for a 1-2 day ride.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

I gotta get a ride towards Brighton soon, maybe synchronize with Mike
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  Then u'll be shocked Mike. I keep my bikes in a storage garage, so I'd rather not get gas in the carbs for a 1-2 day ride.
                  Hi Ian,
                  I totally understand. Unlike you I keep my bike just inside the garage door and 55 F was too much temptation, so I took a short ride
                  Draining the carbs is a very sensible thing to do. The only conclusion is I am not sensible
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Sure!

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                    I gotta get a ride towards Brighton soon, maybe synchronize with Mike
                    I'm actually in Hamburg. Some of the nicest riding in the area is just west of me.

1/2 Day on a Saturday sometime would be fun.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

I hate the construction on 23, from M-14 to M-36 right now though.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Me too.

It's bumpy and uneven, but I rarely drive though it and I never ride through it.....even though it is just 5 miles east and it's the main artery.
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

It was sunny and warm in Pa today. We were out enjoying an xs11 ride with just a tee shirt and my leather.....no gloves. lol It was almost too warm for the leather.
                          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                          79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                          X