Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member in Uxbridge, north of Toronto

Hello all,

About to buy an XS1100 Venturer project bike in a few days. It may turn into a parts bike, but I'm going to try to get it running.

Previous recent road bikes: 1981 Suzuki GS650/4, 1976 BMW R90/6, 1975 Honda CB750/4, and the only bike at the moment is a 1981 BMW R100.

I retired a couple of years ago and went on a bucket list solo trip around the US: 30 days, 9,000 miles on the CB750. I documented the trip on my photo/moto site: frankfoto.jimdo.com

Pics of the new Eleven, and lots of questions, in a few days.

(This was posted yesterday in the Member Location sub-forum but it was suggested that Members' Lounge would be a better place.)
    1981H XS1100
    1981 BMW R100

My photo/moto site: frankfoto.jimdo.com

Hi Frank,
    Ah Uxbridge would be Just North of Toronto. I have ridden through your fine town. Good luck with your XS11 repair/restoration/ resurrection depending on what state it is in when you get it.
    You obviously have experience of keeping older bikes running so you should not have too much trouble with it. I suggest you start reading the Tech Tips section for the common issues. Electrical is weak on the XS so cleaning Grounds and Replacing the fuse panel should be addressed soon.
    Have a look at the Rallies section for details of XSEast which is in WV this year.
    Some incentive to get the XS running

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

First question: I'm not a fan of fairings. If I want to be shielded from the wind, I'll drive my car. How difficult is it to remove and relocate headlight? Front turn signals?
      1981H XS1100
      1981 BMW R100

Comment

Look West to BC for parts. andeasweiss (SP) is a member who breaks bikes, and keeps a fair number of us going at reasonable prices.
        You will need the headlight mount ears and small bits, headlight bucket, and turn signal stems from a Standard, E,F, or G to make the conversion. The standard headlight is square, special is round and mounts just a little differently.
        Welcome to the madness, and I think once you get it running you will be VERY HAPPY with the way it runs.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by FranksBMW View Post
          First question: I'm not a fan of fairings. If I want to be shielded from the wind, I'll drive my car. How difficult is it to remove and relocate headlight? Front turn signals?
          Hi Frank,
          The Venturer came with the fairing and bags which is one of the unique features of the model. The larger tank with white side flashes is another. The ignition is also unique.
          The purists among us will be disappointed if you strip it.
          It's your bike to do with as you please ofcourse.
          Removing the fairing from its bracket safely requires a second pair of hands for a minute or two. The "pig tail" to the fairing is joined to the wiring that will plug into the headlight and live in the bucket. The mounting bracket is bolted to the frame.
          Originally the "ears" for the headlight were installed and folded away so may still be there with the rubber isolators (so it does not rattle)
          The headlight in the fairing would just install on the "ears" and connect the wiring. I would suggest a photo of how the pigtail is connected as someone will want to know.....maybe you when you have spent a day in the pouring rain Indicator stalks will need to be found or after market replacements.
          Please keep the pigtail and bracket with the fairing for someones future use.
          Phil. This what mine looks like.
          Last edited by MaximPhil; 02-12-2017, 01:13 PM.
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Thanks Phil!

I am sensitive to keeping a classic bike original. I've read a number of heated posts about new owners asking about turning their (CB750) survivor into a cafe racer style.

Your bike in the picture has non-original exhaust, right?

Here's a pic of my current bike:

Wait, how do I post a pic?
            1981H XS1100
            1981 BMW R100

Comment

Photobucket

Hi Frank,
              I use the free Photobucket.com to upload any pictures you want to show us. Once loaded in your photobucket account when you click on the picture it will give you options on the right hand side. Look for IMG and click to copy ( you should see the word "copied" appear briefly. Return to your thread and then you "paste" into you post. You will see the address. when it appears on here it is a picture. I have a folder for my XS pictures on photobucket.
              Be aware that in the future if you move the picture the link is broken.

Phil
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Thanks Phil!

I am sensitive to keeping a classic bike original. I've read a number of heated posts about new owners asking about turning their (CB750) survivor into a cafe racer style.

Your bike in the picture has non-original exhaust, right?

Here's a pic of my current bike:

Wait, how do I post a pic?
                Hi Frank,
                Aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust on for this picture.
                Currently has MAC chrome 4 -1 Saddle is a Yamaha touring saddle offered in 79. Tank has been repainted so missing the white flash.
                Waiting to see picture of yours.
                Phil
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Hi Frank nice to "meet " you, nice darkroom :-)
                  Jim
                  Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                  Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                  and SOXS
                  2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Thanks Jim!

Got the bike home. Once I figure out how to post pics here I will. Seems like a picture has to be hosted somewhere on the Internet, not just my computer, right?

I can't read the serial number yet - fairing in the way. Bike is maroon and inside the panniers it says made in Canada. Is that enough info to nail down a year?

Bike was sold to me as a parts bike without a title or a key. I can resolve these 2 issues.

Lucky me: the headlight ears are there folded together behind the fairing.
                    1981H XS1100
                    1981 BMW R100

Comment

Had to dig the bike out of the recent snowfall. Wheels were locked. I was able to remove the front calipers to free up the front. The back tire was also flat and just slide on the icy ground. Needed a winch to pull it up onto the trailer. Gas tank is leaking bad smelly gas. 35K kilometres Is about 20K miles, so pretty fresh.
                      1981H XS1100
                      1981 BMW R100

Comment

Hi Frank,
                        Macho Maroon is the colour for 1978 E the first and fastest year
                        All model years are desirable and have their following.
                        The serial number will identify it. Did you get the registration? Somewhere on this site is a list of the serial numbers, for the world, so you can be sure what you have. The number appears on both the "neck" and the engine case ( or is it the transmission) ideally they match. If not you have the beginnings of a Frankenbike of which we have many on here and just something you will need to know for trouble shooting.
                        The Venturer bags were made in Canada in very dark blue. see my picture for the colour and shape. Also compare your fairng to pic. clue the indicators have different orientation in Pacifico which is more likely on a 78E in Maroon.

Yes you have to host picture on line and create a link I use photobucket, which offers a free account that will hold hundreds of pictures with some advertising, but there are plenty of others.
                        You will want to be able to post pictures to get answers to your questions when you start digging into your project.
                        Does it appear to be complete?
                        Phil
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Thank you, Phil!

Yes, it is complete and no damage observed yet.

Seat will need to be recovered, gas tank repaired, brakes rebuilt. That's on top of motor/carbs. It will keep me out of trouble.
                          1981H XS1100
                          1981 BMW R100

Comment

Thank you, Phil!

Yes, it is complete and no damage observed yet.

Seat will need to be recovered, gas tank repaired, brakes rebuilt. That's on top of motor/carbs. It will keep me out of trouble.
                            Hi Frank,
                            Are you sure the tanks is leaking and not just the petcocks which are repairable ? Having sat so long you may need to oil the cylinders to get them moving. Remember the XS motor turn backwards to most and the valves bend very easily.
                            Manual available to download here: http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html
                            look on the right side of page.
                            Phil
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Honestly I do not know (yet) if the leak is in the tank or the petcock.
                              Thanks for that great resource! Lots of learning ahead for me.
                              Last edited by FranksBMW; 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM.
                              1981H XS1100
                              1981 BMW R100

Comment

Working...
                              X