Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Serious Bowlers out there?

Hey there folks,

Okay, a little history...it's still winter so some of you don't have much to do but read threads on forums! I remember learning how to bowl as a young teenager, and my dad actually got me my first personal bowling ball....remember...this was back in the 70's, it was a 16 lb Don Carter Concentrator, that I think was by Hammer. It even came with an instructional manual/guide written by Don Carter on the basics of good form and technique to throw a ball. I was living in Hawaii at this time, and would go to the local mall/alley every Saturday with my allowance and bowl 3 games, have a Big Mac, Fries, Shake. The ball was drilled with full depth finger grip, and so it was mostly a straight ball...I learned the handshake release to try to put a little twist/hook action to it, but just barely. And remember, I'm 6'6" tall, have a 36" sleeve, and so with my push away and full swing, I could get the ball moving quite quickly, and with the 16 lb weight, would get decent pin action/hitting power!

Took it with me while going into the Navy, and while in Japan, joined a league for almost 2 years. Then back in the USA, once a civilian, joined another league near where I worked. I learned about changing the grip to fingertip for better hooking action. Did fairly well, about a 175 avg, and the occasional 200+ game, bowled for some 10+ years until I blew my lower back out in late 90's/ herniated L5-S1, laminectomy, and forgot about the ball/bag/shoes in the locker at the alley! Then 6 years later, neck also herniated at C6-C7, another laminectomy....no fusions, and have since recovered quite well, hence the bike riding/working, etc.!

Fast forward almost 20 years, and am thinking of getting back into it again. My back/neck is still fine, but apparently I'm developing some mild arthritis in my hands....can't make a complete tight fist like I used to, and my right shoulder will talk to me when the weather changes. So...I might have some age related stress in it from the decades of slinging that 16 pounder on my pendulum arm??

I just did a search for bowling ball reviews......GEEEEESUUUUS I can't believe how many different brands/models there are! I used a search applet on a website where I put in parameters like weight(15lbs), moderate hook action, late in the track path, any price, lane conditions, and of course GREEN. It came up with 3 brands/models:
    1) Hammer: Viral
    2) Brunswick: Rhino
    3) Ebonite: Cylcone

Now I realize asking for folks' opinions on this will be like asking what TIRES to use, but I've been out of it for so many years, just wanting to hear from other folks who are currently active and hopefully serious about their sport.

I take a fairly big swing both in my pushaway and then on my follow through, and so even without trying to put much muscle into it, the ball does move at a decent speed, so I'm thinking that I may want a material that actually grips better/stronger to overcome the inherent speed that I put into it?? I don't have a lot of real upper body strength, and I want to keep my swing/throw action relatively simple to reduce the variables to try to maintain consistency, but I do want a modest hooking action. I'm hoping that dropping the weight a lb will make is easier on my joints/back, and still provide enough POWER from the ball speed and rolling inertia to get decent pin action and results. BTW, I'm R handed.

Okay, any thoughts, opinions, suggestions regarding what I've said and what I'm hoping to do? Thanks for playing!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Sorry TC, no advice but here is the Green Man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWiDauyEDv0
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Not serious, but league bowled some 10yrs. ago. Your style was used and consistant 210-225 scores and league sew-on patches with scores sewn on them. Other than that, was fun, but never got to involved other than own ball and shoes, which still have.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Brant,

Those are pretty impressive avgs!! Ever have a 300 game???

Well, I kinda figured that I might not get many responses, and even then, like folk's experiences with tires, would probably vary depending on HOW they would be used.

SO....I'll be visiting the local pro shop with the little knowledge I have about what I think I want in how the ball will need to behave, and perhaps the pro can help me match up a ball to my throwing style??

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey Brant,

Those are pretty impressive avgs!! Ever have a 300 game???

Well, I kinda figured that I might not get many responses, and even then, like folk's experiences with tires, would probably vary depending on HOW they would be used.

SO....I'll be visiting the local pro shop with the little knowledge I have about what I think I want in how the ball will need to behave, and perhaps the pro can help me match up a ball to my throwing style??

T.C.
          Good option T.C. Would imagine a more knowledgable pro type would be of help..... right there at the lanes. And no, never hit a 300 game....230was tops. Imagine by now, keeping ball outa' gutter would be the challenge.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi TC I bowled up until the 90's some league and got quite a few trophies, that was not all my doing its a team effort and several times we were labeled as sand baggers. It was not uncommon for me to have a 600 series. I have a little advice although I am not a Pro. First before you spend a lot of money figure out how you bowl now as you are different. None us are as loose and limber as we once were. Go to an ally and bowl several games with different weight balls and see what you are comfortable swinging. Some people use 2 balls to get different effect especially when they have a pronounced hook as some spares get really tuff. One thing you can do is get a good pair of shoes. Depends on your style but if the grip is too much nose dive time and wrench the back. Too slippery and you are all over the place and bowling puts a lot of stress on feet. Shoes can make a big difference on the last game is when you feel it. How you grip can be more important than the composite of the ball as the trick in bowling is consistency. Get the swing consistent and comfortable and you can tune your game changing the approach. You all ready know all this just reminding you so you do not have to figure it out again.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends