Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Fob Foibles

Hey there folks,

Some of you who have met me in person have seen my keyfob, not the one for the bike, but the one for my regular keys, car, house, etc.! I've been a big ZZ Top fan since the late 70's when I lived in Texas. Came back from Japan in' 83, out of the Navy in '86. ZZ Top was on their Afterburner tour that year,

and actually came to town to the Hampton Coliseum in Hampton, Va., and so I attended it. And of course I had seen the videos from their previous album Eliminator:

and really liked their chrome double ZZ keyfob, and so I bought one.

I don't know if it's function was thought of when they designed it, but it was the best keyfob I had ever had. It's large wide size kept the double ZZ on the top edge of my jeans/pants pocket while the rest of the keys/chain would dangle down in my pocket, and when I wanted to get them, all I had to do was grab the double ZZ and yank them right out, no fumbling deep down in my pocket for them.

I had it for 30 years. The chain wasn't as strong as it needed to be for the tension stress of all of my keys, and would occasionally pull open/loose, and I would just have to bend the link back into shape with pliers. I wish I had soldered the open ends of each of the links, but just never thought about. Just recently I went shopping, and somehow, somewhere the double ZZ part fell off and I didn't notice it in between getting into the car and then getting out of it at the next store.

Well, I went to the Official ZZ Top website expecting to be able to order a replacement one, but to my chagrin.....they weren't offering it anymore! So...I thought I might have to actually MAKE my own. But then, I decided to check eBay, and sure enough, someone had a nice cache of them, and I was able to get my replacement for less than $10.00 free S&H.

Rock on!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Rock on T.C.! Watched them play here at Country Jam outdoors that's been held here every year now for 15+yrs! They still DO rock.......and a tough act to follow!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
    X